what temp do you set your 12v fridge on?

• HTML tutorial

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
33-35. I like cold beer and the temp does vary depending on what is in the fridge and how things are layered. I keep most everything in tubs which also likely keeps the food a little warmer. Thus the lower setting. Best thing to get is an IR Temp Gun. Then you can really see what is going on in your fridge. You don't want to put an ice pack near any temp sensor that controls the fridge temp because that would defeat the purpose. Find out where yours is in your brand of fridge.
I like hearing about OB guy's actual experiences. This is a smart tip IMO. I havent used my new Runson 54 qt yet so all advise is welcome to me.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Oh and check it with a trustworthy thermometer, put some stuff in it like beer cans and such heavy things to have a little thermal mass to help the regulation and let it run for 12h or more. Check the real temperature under the lid, not on the bottom to see how accurate it is.
Now you can choose what temperature to set.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I don't think so. 33 is 33 is 33, no?
My refer directions say the hotter it is outside the hotter it would be inside the ref at its lowest setting. That is why ambient temp makes a difference in the settings. I dont remember the numbers but it was something like this. My ref will only get 60 degrees colder than the outside temp. If it is 100 degrees out side my ref will only cool to 40 degrees but if the temp out side is 80 degrees then my ref will cool down to 20 degrees f at it lowest setting which could be -10 degrees f. Yes ?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm interested to see if my post #25 has any truth to it. I'm just going from a memory that I have and my memory might be off 20-30 degrees or my understanding of ref temp is off the wall. Lets hear from those that have experienced using the electric compressor type refers.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I'm interested to see if my post #25 has any truth to it. I'm just going from a memory that I have and my memory might be off 20-30 degrees or my understanding of ref temp is off the wall. Lets hear from those that have experienced using the electric compressor type refers.
I have a cheaper compressor fridge, but it's independent of ambient temperature, maybe there is a limit for the freezing temperature but as long as it is set to cool it doesn't matter if it is 20°C or 45°C with the car in the sun.
It will run more often when hotter outside, but it keeps the inside temperature.
My set temperature is 4°C and it's alternating between 3 - 7°

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have a cheaper compressor fridge, but it's independent of ambient temperature, maybe there is a limit for the freezing temperature but as long as it is set to cool it doesn't matter if it is 20°C or 45°C with the car in the sun.
It will run more often when hotter outside, but it keeps the inside temperature.
My set temperature is 4°C and it's alternating between 3 - 7°
Thank you. How long have you had your ref and does it freeze as well ?

egilbe

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Biddeford, Maine, USA
First Name
Earl
Last Name
Gilbert
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFT263, HAM:
I set the freezer side to 0 and the fridge side to 35. I've found I need a bigger external battery to keep the food cool all night. 18aH isn't cutting it.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

My refer directions say the hotter it is outside the hotter it would be inside the ref at its lowest setting. That is why ambient temp makes a difference in the settings. I dont remember the numbers but it was something like this. My ref will only get 60 degrees colder than the outside temp. If it is 100 degrees out side my ref will only cool to 40 degrees but if the temp out side is 80 degrees then my ref will cool down to 20 degrees f at it lowest setting which could be -10 degrees f. Yes ?
I guess it depends on the fridge. If I set my snomaster to 33 it stays at 33. If I turn it down lower to a freezing temp. regardless of outside temp the food will freeze.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB

That sounds like a thermoelectric cooler rather than a refrigerator. It was 106 yesterday and I took my Dometic with me to the grocery store. The temp gauge read 33. I bought my groceries, put the frozen and perishable items in the fridge and continued on with my errands. When I returned home an hour or so later the temp gauge still read 33 and my frozen items were still frozen.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
A smart fridge (controls based on set temperature) will be able to maintain the specified temperature within an ambient range. But all fridges have their limits.

I think most fridges would have difficulty maintaining 37 degrees if the ambient or vehicle’s interior temp exceeded 120 degrees. My ARB certainly does.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I guess it depends on the fridge. If I set my snomaster to 33 it stays at 33. If I turn it down lower to a freezing temp. regardless of outside temp the food will freeze.
That sounds like a really good ref to me. Thanks for that info.

Reactions: diabetiktaco

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I don't think so. 33 is 33 is 33, no?
That is what I thought too. :smiley: Plus, it depends on whether you have the fridge set to eco or max mode. Eco will allow up to 4 degrees variable from the set temp, while max will only allow 2 degrees.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

That is what I thought too. :smiley: Plus, it depends on whether you have the fridge set to eco or max mode. Eco will allow up to 4 degrees variable from the set temp, while max will only allow 2 degrees.
Mine has hi, low, and auto. I just keep it on auto.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Some fridges will let you calibrate them so you get a more true reading on the temp gauge. I know my 63qt ARB did. I keep mine about 32-34 so I don't freeze my drinks. If I want to keep stuff frozen I put it at the bottom and then cover with a piece of closed-cell foam.

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
I use DC. Directly wired to starter battery. I can get at least 48 hours without needing to start/drive the rig.

I have the fridge set to "Medium" Protection and it has never shut off once due to low voltage. That said I try to keep the battery from dipping below 12.0 volts.

I do have a X2 Power 24F AGM battery. i wouldn't do this on the stock bat.