What One Person Can Do

• HTML tutorial

Del Albright

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Mokelumne Hill, CA
Member #

In my full time role of helping save trails and keep our access open for overlanding and exploration, the MOST often asked question I get is: What can one person do? What can a working, parent, busy, person do to keep our sport alive and well?

THREE main things: Join, Donate and Volunteer.

Join what makes sense to you, national, regional and state -- even if you can't go to meetings and such.
Donate to those groups fighting to keep our roads and trails open.
Volunteer your time on cleanups and work parties when you can. Even once or twice a year makes a difference.

On the side, I usually add one more note to this -- BUY ONLY from businesses that support our sport.
Some businesses with great gear, advocate to close roads or add more unnecessary Wilderness, or openly oppose motorsports. Do not buy from them if you expect to keep overlanding. Just ask them if in doubt; or read their website before you buy.

Hope this helps.
Del

Corrie

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Protector II

Placer County, California, United States
First Name
Corrie
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

In my full time role of helping save trails and keep our access open for overlanding and exploration, the MOST often asked question I get is: What can one person do? What can a working, parent, busy, person do to keep our sport alive and well?

THREE main things: Join, Donate and Volunteer.

Join what makes sense to you, national, regional and state -- even if you can't go to meetings and such.
Donate to those groups fighting to keep our roads and trails open.
Volunteer your time on cleanups and work parties when you can. Even once or twice a year makes a difference.

On the side, I usually add one more note to this -- BUY ONLY from businesses that support our sport.
Some businesses with great gear, advocate to close roads or add more unnecessary Wilderness, or openly oppose motorsports. Do not buy from them if you expect to keep overlanding. Just ask them if in doubt; or read their website before you buy.

Hope this helps.
Del
Right on, @Del Albright - The photo/visual made this even better. :tearsofjoy::grin:

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

If you are still wondering what one person can do, it is actually pretty amazing.
Del and I know of one person (rest his soul) that had a huge impact on protecting the Rubicon.
Dennis Meyer got many people involved on working to protect the trail, and keep access alive on the trail when they wanted to install gates.

He is the one that got me involved in fighting for access, besides Del of course.
I was finding a million reasons to not attend the VLLS class that Del has taught to a hundred people or so.
Of that hundred, still only a handful are still involved to an extreme degree.
Many are still involved in a small way, but doing what they can.
The important thing, is they are still doing something with the resources that they have.

We kept the gate off the trail of the Rubicon, and we can keep the access alive in many other places with the human resources that we have available.

As the President of Sharetrails/BRC, I appreciate what Del does for the organization.
He is just one person on our team of just a few very dedicated professionals.

We need many more though in the fight for access.
Can you be one of those people?
Are you willing to step up and be one of those people?

Thanks

Todd