What is your preferred shelter? (Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs Etc...)

• HTML tutorial

What is your preferred shelter?

• Total voters

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
i'm old....er
i'm done with any kind of tent. have'nt used our ground tent in about 12 yrs. not a fan of RTT's either.
i'm tired of screwing around with poles, stakes and ropes setting them up. when i'm out in the bush, i DON'T want to work. not to mention how miserable it can be when it rains...
had a tent trailer for awhile-was still farting around setting it up like a tent, and, again if it rains, nothing nicer than folding up wet canvas...
i'll stick to my truck camper- throw out the lawn chairs and crack a beer- i'm set up. better security than a tent too.
ya, it's big but i like the room and the capacity to take whatever. i. feel. like. may not run the Rubicon wit it, but it will go 90% of the places any other rig can. if i need to go that other 10%, we can always take our quads or the stepside. the only drawback i find is width...you will come back with forest sometime. i actually peeled a bird's nest out of a tree once, found part of it stuffed around the fridge vent.
i like having COLD beer ALL the time, a dry roof over my head, and for wifey, an actual toilet. wildlife problems is a non-issue.
if i go by myself, i sleep on the rear seat of my truck, or crash in the back under the canopy. i like having a dry, solid roof over me.
not for everyone, but it is for me...
flip the seats down, insta-bed
View attachment 140434View attachment 140445
width can be tight sometimes, and it don't even need to be in the bush...barely squeezed across this little bridge.

View attachment 140448
our plan is to replace the fridge, use it this yr, maybe next, and sell it. been seriously looking at a Phoenix pop-up camper. buddy has one, super nice, made for the bush and custom built for every truck, which i like. camper will be as wide as the truck knocking off the big one- width problem. will be getting a hardside version though, not really into using a pop up
Vaseline will work, Like you said it gets you where you wanna go and back. That's what it's all about.

• Haha
Reactions: 64Trvlr

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I camped in tents since I was a teenager in the 1960s. About 5 years ago my wife decided she wanted to camp too and after a few years of tenting I think she had about enough of that. In my mid 60's I bought a tear drop trailer, Clipper Express 9.0td, so we're now up off the ground with no complaints. I was well into an off road trailer build and will continue with it when I camp on my own ( PCO6's Trailer Build ). I'm also having a lot of fun modifying the Clipper to suit our needs.

We don't do anything crazy, mostly camp at Provincial Parks and head out daily to explore the park or surrounding areas either by kayak, bike or hiking. I tow with my Jeep XJ or LJ and get some off roading in on day outings while camping. It's nice to get back to camp and crawl into bed vs. stretching out on an air mattress.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I camped in tents since I was a teenager in the 1960s. About 5 years ago my wife decided she wanted to camp too and after a few years of tenting I think she had about enough of that. In my mid 60's I bought a tear drop trailer, Clipper Express 9.0td, so we're now up off the ground with no complaints. I was well into an off road trailer build and will continue with it when I camp on my own ( PCO6's Trailer Build ). I'm also having a lot of fun modifying the Clipper to suit our needs.

We don't do anything crazy, mostly camp at Provincial Parks and head out daily to explore the park or surrounding areas either by kayak, bike or hiking. I tow with my Jeep XJ or LJ and get some off roading in on day outings while camping. It's nice to get back to camp and crawl into bed vs. stretching out on an air mattress.

You know of course that just because you use a tent doesn't mean you have to sleep on the ground. I can have a queen size bed in a tent if I buy the right tent. They have great bunk beds these days and tents with 7" high ceilings for under $200.Trailers are nice, I have a 13' Scamp but I'm limited as to where I can go. If I want to wheel I have to unhook and worry that vandals will steal me blind, or even steal my whole trailer. I'm solo so I don't have a wife or girlfriend to consider as you do. When I had six kids and a wife a tent was the only way to go, sometimes two tents if the kids brought friends. The most fun we ever had was sleeping under the stars. Living in the southwest rain and snow is not even considered except in a single monsoon season of July when it's to hot to go camping anyway. Just a simple large canvas, a couple of poles with lots of rope and stakes make great shelters.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

You know of course that just because you use a tent doesn't mean you have to sleep on the ground. I can have a queen size bed in a tent if I buy the right tent. They have great bunk beds these days and tents with 7" high ceilings for under $200.Trailers are nice, I have a 13' Scamp but I'm limited as to where I can go. If I want to wheel I have to unhook and worry that vandals will steal me blind, or even steal my whole trailer. I'm solo so I don't have a wife or girlfriend to consider as you do. When I had six kids and a wife a tent was the only way to go, sometimes two tents if the kids brought friends. The most fun we ever had was sleeping under the stars. Living in the southwest rain and snow is not even considered except in a single monsoon season of July when it's to hot to go camping anyway. Just a simple large canvas, a couple of poles with lots of rope and stakes make great shelters.
When I tent camp I use a Coleman air mattress and that works fine. My wife would blow hers up to the max thinking it would leak a bit during the night. It never did and she usually bounced off a few times. She learned that 75% full was about right. I also have a 13' Cadet fibreglass "project" trailer … similar to a Scamp Different kind of trailer again as to where you can and can't go.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
When I tent camp I use a Coleman air mattress and that works fine. My wife would blow hers up to the max thinking it would leak a bit during the night. It never did and she usually bounced off a few times. She learned that 75% full was about right. I also have a 13' Cadet fibreglass "project" trailer … similar to a Scamp Different kind of trailer again as to where you can and can't go.
I put the largest tires I could find for my Scamp a few months ago, that raised it 2". It has 14" four hole wheels and they don't make 15" or 16" 4 hole wheels so that I can go with larger tires. At one time it had only 13" wheels from the factory so it was a ground hugger.

I have two choices. One is to have a welder make some lifting blocks (it's a torsion bar axle) to raise it up 4", or change out the axle for a 5 or 6 hole wheel and buy new tires. Since I just bought new expensive 14" tires, my cheapest route would be to raise the trailer with lifting blocks. If I were younger I'd do it myself.

I don't know how that would affect the tow ability of it. Right now she pulls so good I don't even know she is back there @ 80 mph. I don't drive that fast but it was my test speed after I put bigger tires on.

Good luck on your project trailer, post us some pic's when you can.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

My plan is to use a 2,000 lb. axle with brakes, 15" or 16" Jeep wheels and to cut and replace the body/wheel wells. I will likely put the Cadet body on a more heavy duty chassis that I have. It's all pretty straight forward work, I just need to free up some time. I also have to build an interior for it ... but that's the "fun" stuff. :blush:

18-07-12 1.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
My plan is to use a 2,000 lb. axle with brakes, 15" or 16" Jeep wheels and to cut and replace the body/wheel wells. I will likely put the Cadet body on a more heavy duty chassis that I have. It's all pretty straight forward work, I just need to free up some time. I also have to build an interior for it ... but that's the "fun" stuff. :blush:

View attachment 140603
I like the style much better than my ugly Scamp. We do have similar wants and needs for our towable toys.

Reactions: PCO6

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

View attachment 140603
The only nice thing about my Scamp is that it keeps me warm and dry. It' been sitting for 23 years until I pulled it out about 6 months ago and replaced one propane gas line, checked and sanitized the water holding tank, checked the water hester, propane stove and ref, all worked nicely. I replaced some of the plastic opening pieces like at the water fill station and electrical outlet opening. Then added the new tires and serviced the axle bearings that looked brand new. It's road worth and still needs things like new flooring (carpet or wood tiles). There is an area in the front that did have bunk beds that someone removed. I'm going to use that area for a work station -dining area so I can use the existing fold away dining at the rear for a permanent bed.

Thought about painting the exterior to look like a beetle bug painted orange with black polka dots. Just kidding, id like to color match it to my LRD2, kinda goldish.IMG_20190309_1228287_rewind.jpgIMG_20190309_1234302_rewind.jpg

Attachments

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

The only nice thing about my Scamp is that it keeps me warm and dry. It' been sitting for 23 years until I pulled it out about 6 months ago and replaced one propane gas line, checked and sanitized the water holding tank, checked the water hester, propane stove and ref, all worked nicely. I replaced some of the plastic opening pieces like at the water fill station and electrical outlet opening. Then added the new tires and serviced the axle bearings that looked brand new. It's road worth and still needs things like new flooring (carpet or wood tiles). There is an area in the front that did have bunk beds that someone removed. I'm going to use that area for a work station -dining area so I can use the existing fold away dining at the rear for a permanent bed.

Thought about painting the exterior to look like a beetle bug painted orange with black polka dots. Just kidding, id like to color match it to my LRD2, kinda goldish.View attachment 140609View attachment 140611
Scamps are very well liked in the "egg" community. Up here they and some others are often mistaken as Bolers which are a bit more common, still not common though. The fellow I bought my Cadet from picked up a nice original Boler and took it to the next level. He was happy and so was I!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
i'm old....er
i'm done with any kind of tent. have'nt used our ground tent in about 12 yrs. not a fan of RTT's either.
i'm tired of screwing around with poles, stakes and ropes setting them up. when i'm out in the bush, i DON'T want to work. not to mention how miserable it can be when it rains...
had a tent trailer for awhile-was still farting around setting it up like a tent, and, again if it rains, nothing nicer than folding up wet canvas...
i'll stick to my truck camper- throw out the lawn chairs and crack a beer- i'm set up. better security than a tent too.
ya, it's big but i like the room and the capacity to take whatever. i. feel. like. may not run the Rubicon wit it, but it will go 90% of the places any other rig can. if i need to go that other 10%, we can always take our quads or the stepside. the only drawback i find is width...you will come back with forest sometime. i actually peeled a bird's nest out of a tree once, found part of it stuffed around the fridge vent.
i like having COLD beer ALL the time, a dry roof over my head, and for wifey, an actual toilet. wildlife problems is a non-issue.
if i go by myself, i sleep on the rear seat of my truck, or crash in the back under the canopy. i like having a dry, solid roof over me.
not for everyone, but it is for me...
flip the seats down, insta-bed
View attachment 140434View attachment 140445
width can be tight sometimes, and it don't even need to be in the bush...barely squeezed across this little bridge.

View attachment 140448
our plan is to replace the fridge, use it this yr, maybe next, and sell it. been seriously looking at a Phoenix pop-up camper. buddy has one, super nice, made for the bush and custom built for every truck, which i like. camper will be as wide as the truck knocking off the big one- width problem. will be getting a hardside version though, not really into using a pop up
That's one nice Chevy truck. I had no idea the rear seat folded so flat that you could sleep there. Yeah, I'm much older than you and I like my creature comforts. I like tents if they are the Gazelle pop up type and have enough head room to stand up. I like folding cots for comfort and sitting room in the day time. I don't need the beer, I'm diabetic, but I like my coffee and cool aid and a ton of reading material that puts me to sleep in my lounge chair. I don't have to leave home for that though, I do it all the time. I'm the only guy I know who can go to sleep sitting in front of the PC typing a post.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Scamps are very well liked in the "egg" community. Up here they and some others are often mistaken as Bolers which are a bit more common, still not common though. The fellow I bought my Cadet from picked up a nice original Boler and took it to the next level. He was happy and so was I!
It is amazing how many people like the little ugly things. People are always stopping to see if I want to sell it. One guy offered $2500.00 for it before I put new tires and got it road worthy. He almost cried when I turned him down. Another guy wanted to trade me his boat, motor and trailer he said was worth $4500.00. They do sell for a ridiculous high price un-restored.
Your Cadet I would think, would bring a good price, I like it a lot. I'd name it " L'il darling "

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

It is amazing how many people like the little ugly things. People are always stopping to see if I want to sell it. One guy offered $2500.00 for it before I put new tires and got it road worthy. He almost cried when I turned him down. Another guy wanted to trade me his boat, motor and trailer he said was worth $4500.00. They do sell for a ridiculous high price un-restored.
Your Cadet I would think, would bring a good price, I like it a lot. I'd name it " L'il darling "
When I bought my Cadet there was a line up of guys that wanted it. I was the first to respond so the vendor asked me over first. He received a few calls while we were "negotiating". I heard his side of the conversation while he talked on his cell phone. He could have lined up a few buddies to make bogus calls but he didn't seem to be that kind of a guy.

Defender 90 Keith

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Plymstock, Plymouth, UK
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Pierce
Member #

I only have a groubd tent so my knowledge is limited. Dont get me wrong its a cracking tent. U can have it out of tgebag and erected easily less that 10 minutes. I like the look of the Hannibal roof tents and also the Conqueror UEV490 (trailer accomodation) but finances prevent me from getting either.

If however, Hannibal or Conqueror are looking for a guineapig to test their products then im keen to go along with the idea.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
When I bought my Cadet there was a line up of guys that wanted it. I was the first to respond so the vendor asked me over first. He received a few calls while we were "negotiating". I heard his side of the conversation while he talked on his cell phone. He could have lined up a few buddies to make bogus calls but he didn't seem to be that kind of a guy.
What I have realized is that liking them and affording them is two separate things. That of course applies to everything I want.

RockyMountaineer

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Laramie, WY, USA
First Name
Mathew
Last Name
Threadgill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5MST
For me it is all about situation. I prefer a hammock setup, they are light effective, and comfortable. But lets face it we don't always have trees to anchor to so I do keep a ground tent and have a travel trailer. In the end it is all about being able to adapt to your environment.

Kyle Collins

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fort Collins, CO
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Collins
Member #

This is a cool thread. I used to have a RTT. I got a screaming deal on one at an REI garage sale, that's the only reason I bought it. I've tent camped my entire life prior. The RTT has a certain cool factor, but it wasn't practical for my wife and I. The reasons I disliked it were I couldn't get my 4runner in the garage, it was heavy and hurt engine performance, and whenever it was deployed, the vehicle was unusable. We enjoy setting up camp, then using the vehicle to run trails or whatever else. A tent is so easy to setup and keeps your vehicle available.

I think the RTT would be great in a place like Utah where the sun bakes the rocks all day long.

obchristo

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Christo
Last Name
Kuzmich
In my world, roofs are for boats and boards. Pre-kids I would crash out in my 85 Toyota Pickup shell. Now, the kids like to crash out in the back of my Sequoia. Haven't gone camping without them since I got it, but if I did, I might crash there too. I have many high quality ground tents too. Exped Megamats for pads while car camping.

Dgensheimer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pleasant View, Tennessee, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Gensheimer
Member #

Ground tent. I live Wranglers because of the open summers. A roof tent would not jive with that. Trailers are just more than I can justify spending.
I’m in the same boat, I can’t give up the doors and top off in exchange for a roof top tent. So it’s a ground tent for my family! I have thought about a trailer... but it’s a lot of money.