What is your preferred shelter? (Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs Etc...)

• HTML tutorial

What is your preferred shelter?

• Total voters

MotoHop

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Portage Lakes, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

I'm new to the overlanding scene, and I'm trying to make some decisions about my rig/gear. I'll normally be by myself. My girlfriend may potentially tag along, but she'd prefer to take the camper (Coachmen Clipper 17FQ) if she's coming with me. So with all of the experience/knowledge in the OB community, I'd love to hear what style of shelter others prefer to sleep in. Drown me in details of why you prefer a specific shelter style, past experiences with other shelter styles, and maybe the make/model of your current favorite. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamHooty

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I prefer ground tents. No climbing, easier to put a tarp over for extra shelter, way cheaper than other options , less weight. You look less cool but have extra to spend elsewhere. Edit after staying on the beach over thanksgiving and having to sleep in the front seat due to high wind im going to turn my old farm trailer into a camping trailer aka mini rv.
20191214_115441.jpg

Last edited:

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I prefer ground tents or just sleep in the truck if I’m solo. RTTs are cool when your actually using them, but they are a PITA to to store, install and remove when your not using them. Unless you plan to throw it up there and leave it, to me it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
I have the gazelle t3 ground tent. I love it. My wife can set it up and tear it down by herself in under 5 minutes. When I’m solo, I use a queen size foam mattress topper folded in half, and twin size sheets in the back seat of my truck.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
if weather is decent and we are going fast and light and moving around daily, we tent camp or just sleep in the back of the truck and if weather is cold or we are staying more in one area, we take our 10' NoBo and use it as a base camp. And like Salty4Life said, an RTT is a pita for me as well.

Attachments

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
When it is just me and the pups, a ground tent or ARB awning room (think that would be an other). When my wife is along, it is a TAXA TM trailer, with the awning room off the back.

Wlfhntr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gibraltar, Michigan, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Krause
Member #

New to the scene as well, currently using a Gazelle tent (borrowed), but seriously looking at the Oztent Eyre. Both easy to set up although a bit bulky but still much less than a roof top tent and that leaves me more for vehicle mods and other expenses.
The RTT sounds nice but combined with price and since my rig is also my daily driver, it's a no go for me.

Reactions: F8OO and dziner

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am ground tent or back of truck person. The RTT are not my thing, I use my roof to haul kayaks, surfboards and fuels. I have a number of sleeping bags from 35 degrees to -30 degrees. The 35 degree and the 20 degree zip together and we used the right one for the weather on top.

If it takes me 15 mins to set up a tent that's OK with me. The three season go to tent is a Eureka Timberline outfitters 4 person. The winter 4 season is a VE25. I also sleep on a ground cloth often. The Gazelle/oztents are also to bulky for me. I don't like the house style tent, they are hard to warm, and don't stand the wind well. I know many that want a tent they can stand in. it's not important for me, I camp in the desert and those big tents fill up with blow sand too.

I also have Therm-a-rest pads from backpacking to thick basecamp pads. If its going to be cold I will use a closed cell foam on top of the therm-a-rest.

There are some very nice cots on the market but I have not used any.
I am not drawn by what's in fashion, I have sleeping outside for 50 plus years in all weather. I know what works for me. Remember everybody is different, the reason I like something is the reason you hate it.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

There is no perfect system, there are pros and cons with everything. That said, I prefer sleeping in my truck with a camper shell. The biggest con is having to unload everything at night, and reload in the morning. But I’m off the ground, and my shell is insulated, and weather tight. No dealing with wet tents or pulling a trailer. I'm slowly getting my camper set up to where I want it to be. I keep changing it around though. You are never really finished with a project, right?FFE5B7AF-C66C-4E2E-87FA-DDF69F830430.jpeg7040287C-2A63-41F9-8C83-9FCAE2516BF3.jpeg

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
They cost more but I like being off the ground and not needing smooth ground for a tent. My iKamper is everything they advertise for a 30 second set up and 90 second break down. I have both an awning for it and the massive annex which allows me to sleep up to 8 people if I need to. I like it :)3536C151-9936-4A96-99EE-104554D3AC19.jpeg27C73D15-0052-4FE1-9D40-CF9E32A31B4E.jpeg50906FDE-C9BE-4037-9B8C-967F74A8162C.jpeg35EAA03B-750A-42F7-8E1C-5ABC175E01A1.jpegD35F479C-CBFB-495F-A705-176ED598A87D.jpeg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
if weather is decent and we are going fast and light and moving around daily, we tent camp or just sleep in the back of the truck and if weather is cold or we are staying more in one area, we take our 10' NoBo and use it as a base camp. And like Salty4Life said, an RTT is a pita for me as well.
I think when I sell my boat I'll be getting one of these NO BO trailers. I've seen the option on the 10.6 with a RTT on top of the Rhino Rack on top. That would work great for me. My wife and I can sleep in the Trailer and the boys can sleep in the RTT! I like the fact they are very light and are built for going off road for a reasonable price. BTW, I love my Overland Vehicle Systems RTT I currently have on my homemade rack on my truck, has been working out great for my stays at my hunting locations.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
10'x14' Kodiak Canvas ground tent. Four season weatherproof and tons of room. For a ground tent, it's not small or light, but still easy to stow, deploy, and take down. It's also not cheap, but at still least half the price of a RTT. And, I wouldn't need to carry it on my daily driver rig.

Attachments

Reactions: 64Trvlr and MotoHop