What is your favorite Go-To knife for overlanding.

• HTML tutorial

ontos

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Shepherd
My everyday is also a CRKT, the Squid. Small wide blade. Assisted open is really nice. I like to be able to open one handed especially when trying to reach inconvenient things or when you have something in your other hand. Small, easy to carry, stout. Replaced a paraframe folder.

1703976065062.png

hey_poolboy

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Peoria, IL, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Robertson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Maximus
The Ka-Bar Companion lives in our rig. It must be made from a leaf spring. It has a very thick, strong blade, it's heavy, and holds an edge. Its not fancy, but it's robust. I feel like I could drive tent stakes with it or cut down a small tree and it would be none the worse for wear.

My EDC is a Kershaw Cryo II. Again, it's heavy and strong. I normally carry a second knife that is reserved for more delicate tasks such as a SOG Flash or an Emerson (can't remember the model)
I'm pretty utilitarian when it comes to knives. They don't have to be fancy or pretty, but they have to hold up and I'm pretty hard on them at work. 2 months ago I lost a knife for the first time in ~18 years while getting in or out of the Jeep on a trail, so I get my money's worth out of them.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
One of my favorite is a MoraKniv . However, I also do like my Schrade woodsman. These knives are not expensive but they serve my purpose.
What is your favorite?
The Morakniv is great. I also have one, a slightly older version, where the fire steel is integrated in the handle for pulling out.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Anyone use Opinel ? I'm thinking of getting this set to replace the cheap camp kitchen knives I currently have.

View attachment 271048
The Opinel are quite common in Europe as they are produced in France. They are particularly popular with hikers, outdoor enthusiasts etc. and are said to be quite good. I've never owned one myself, but I've only heard good things. @Oligetorix Don't you have an Opinel and can say something about it?

Oligetorix

Rank IV

Influencer II

Worms, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany
First Name
Oliver
Last Name
Rissler
Member #

Anyone use Opinel ? I'm thinking of getting this set to replace the cheap camp kitchen knives I currently have.

View attachment 271048
The Opinel are quite common in Europe as they are produced in France. They are particularly popular with hikers, outdoor enthusiasts etc. and are said to be quite good. I've never owned one myself, but I've only heard good things. @Oligetorix Don't you have an Opinel and can say something about it?
The classic French Opinel is a good and inexpensive pocket knife and very easy to sharpen. I have had mine for many years and still use it mainly as a camping kitchen knife next to my Finnish knife.

Tacoma 10221

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Lost city , Oklahoma
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Dry
Member #

I too like the Esee 6. Mine is the orange and green model, and I love it. The bright colors are great I never worry about laying it down and losing it.

The case hunter folder pocket knife is another solid option with 2 blades, you can dedicate one blade to a specific task ie skinning, cooking, or just keeping it razor sharp for emergencies.

Of course the trusty Leatherman is always a good thing to have. I have used the same super tool 300, for years now.

TSO_NJ

Rank V

Explorer I

Burlington County, NJ, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Mez
Member #

My Benchmade Bushcraft 162 uses S30V stainless steel. Hard to sharpen, but hard to dull the edge.
Yep, the S30V sure is hard to dull and hard to sharpen.

What sharpening setup do you use?

Smith's setup that I purchased in the '90s seems to work good for mine, but I'm wondering if something else out there is easier and faster.

Smith's Knife Sharpening.jpeg

Reactions: BAJA - PRO