Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah, I mean I guess its already a little bit like that with the coffee and rigs thing, except thats got a different focus (love that jeepers do that) It would be cool.
We have had a few “Work” days around the Northwest region over the years. Either someone was doing something cool like fabricating a bumper from scratch and wanted to show others it oil’s been done on the cheap with a Chinese welder, or as complicated as an engine swap. Some were out on as a Rally Point, other times people just posted a thread saying their shop is open for the weekend for members to come say hi and work on their rigs.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
We have had a few “Work” days around the Northwest region over the years. Either someone was doing something cool like fabricating a bumper from scratch and wanted to show others it oil’s been done on the cheap with a Chinese welder, or as complicated as an engine swap. Some were out on as a Rally Point, other times people just posted a thread saying their shop is open for the weekend for members to come say hi and work on their rigs.
I have a great relationship with (of all things) a GMC dealer near me that is really great about working with me, unfortunately theres a lot that can't be done for insurance and liability reasons, so limits ya know.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I have a great relationship with (of all things) a GMC dealer near me that is really great about working with me, unfortunately theres a lot that can't be done for insurance and liability reasons, so limits ya know.
That’s where farmer shops and private work shops come in

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

The Land Rover community is good for coming together to help each other. Not everybody has the same abilities or knowledge. I don't even have a garage all my work happens on a sloping gravel drive.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
My Toyota dealer does anything I want to my rig. At this point, they should just open an off-road shop behind the dealership

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
My dealer treats it as dealer installed options. Obviously my Fox shocks would be warrantied by Fox etc, but I don’t have to worry about being denied a warranty claim by my dealer from the mods done.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I worked for a dealership for about 4 years (wrenched for a decade) and I would tell you do not trust them as far as you can throw them. Your parts are not warrantied unless you have a supplemental warranty (i.e. a Mopar lift installed by a dealer maintains your Jeep warranty in full) or have it in writing. Even if they have guaranteed it in writing, you are on the hook anywhere that is not that dealership and I can promise you any extended warranty you have will not care. Those were hard enough to get cleared on a bone stock vehicle let alone anything that was modified in the slightest.

The whole industry is corrupt and will tell you whatever it takes to make the sale. I hope you're not getting screwed but given all my experience, a dealer will turn on you for much less than you'd think. In the end, they are liable for the same issues whether things are installed at the dealer or your driveway.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Does it though? Unless your dealership is specifically warrantying it, Toyota or the third party company generally will not.
anything Reynold's Buick GMC does to my rig (and ive had them do some stuff they scratched their head at) they warrantee fully parts and labor if they supply parts and labor if I bring the parts in.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I worked for a dealership for about 4 years (wrenched for a decade) and I would tell you do not trust them as far as you can throw them. Your parts are not warrantied unless you have a supplemental warranty (i.e. a Mopar lift installed by a dealer maintains your Jeep warranty in full) or have it in writing. Even if they have guaranteed it in writing, you are on the hook anywhere that is not that dealership and I can promise you any extended warranty you have will not care. Those were hard enough to get cleared on a bone stock vehicle let alone anything that was modified in the slightest.

The whole industry is corrupt and will tell you whatever it takes to make the sale. I hope you're not getting screwed but given all my experience, a dealer will turn on you for much less than you'd think. In the end, they are liable for the same issues whether things are installed at the dealer or your driveway.
I totally agree with you and your concern, but ill add that I have developed a pretty good relationship with this specific dealer, and they have come through more than once. Would I expect this to work out with another dealer across the country should something happen to an oddball thing I did, dont know, perhaps they would charge Reynolds and then do it, perhaps they would shake their head and send me away, but Reynolds themselves are totally awesome and I vouch for them completely.

Reactions: Ubiety

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
I wish that used Landcruiser 70 series trucks, wagons or troopies were always readily available here in the US. As it is we have to import 25 year old trucks with 25 year old diesel technology, at a very high premium, which would be very dependable and very high on the cool factor, but sadly not much more efficient than the than the 4.5 gasser in our 80 series. So, not worth the extra expense. So, a realistic answer for your question? New Scheel-Mann seats, hands down. We aren't getting any younger and in the past 5 or 6 years comfort has taken over as our #1 priority. However, you'll find no lazy-boy in front of the TV at our house, not yet anyway, we aren't that old just yet. LOL
You are absolutely right. I bought a 1988 troopy that was ‘raped’ in a farm in Nicaragua for almost 30 years. I always wanted a troopy, so whatever it takes. I figured to build it to my likings. I have a year to go and a few $10k but when done it will be worth the effort (I think).

Reactions: MOAK