Influencer I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Moses
Member #

Hello Overland Fam!

Camping and Overlanding is such a personal experiance. But I sometimes wonder if we run into similar issues when we are out there camping and trailing.
Do you all ever thing… man in wish there was ____ available to make this easier. Or you yourself have an idea for a product that would make your experiance better?

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
More money or a rich person that would bank roll us. I know it's not what you are looking for but I couldn't resist. - John
I'll second this LOL! Livein in Florida I'd like an A/C unit specifically built for tents that is highly efficient so it can run off battery power.

Reactions: K12

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I'll second this LOL! Livein in Florida I'd like an A/C unit specifically built for tents that is highly efficient so it can run off battery power.
I would take the same for an RV. Only A/C units I have found that would work without a massive solar system wiuld be swamp coolers, but thats not very efficient and it takes a long time to cool anything down, and stuggles to keep it cool if ita 85+ outside.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
id definitely go with "heat" being a huge problem. been on many great trips where everything was great until night time and then not being able to sleep due to being too hot

Reactions: MOAK and K12

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I wish that used Landcruiser 70 series trucks, wagons or troopies were always readily available here in the US. As it is we have to import 25 year old trucks with 25 year old diesel technology, at a very high premium, which would be very dependable and very high on the cool factor, but sadly not much more efficient than the than the 4.5 gasser in our 80 series. So, not worth the extra expense. So, a realistic answer for your question? New Scheel-Mann seats, hands down. We aren't getting any younger and in the past 5 or 6 years comfort has taken over as our #1 priority. However, you'll find no lazy-boy in front of the TV at our house, not yet anyway, we aren't that old just yet. LOL

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
id definitely go with "heat" being a huge problem. been on many great trips where everything was great until night time and then not being able to sleep due to being too hot
I'll go along with that, so we avoid the heat, summer months will find us in cooler places in the northeast.

Reactions: grubworm

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
No time machine to transport myself back in time to allow me to fix a problem/shortcoming experienced on an adventure. If I had only thought of that three weeks ago when I had the time and resources so that it would not be such a pain now.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Wow, I guess I do this wrong. Small hardships seem to add to the adventure.

I would have to add in a second vote for a time machine.

The only issue would be, no campfire stories about forgetting your sleeping gear, forgetting food, being stuck in the sand by myself, "twice" (about 4 hours to extract vehicle with no tools), the wind almost blowing over my RTT on my trailer while I'm in it, all the broken axles, driveshafts, springs, frames I've field repaired (only one was mine), freak white out snow storm in September (who brings cold weather gear in the summer) and a bunch more things.

I guess to me, if its too easy I'm in an RV campground.

Or am I reading the OP's question wrong and he's looking for ideas to market something to make our life better out there?

TCorona

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Visalia, CA, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Corona
Member #

Yup... all the issues, mishaps, problems, mistakes and so on while out camping and/or trail exploring... just add to the adventure!
A recent trip to Colorado, to escape the wildfire smoke in California and being stuck at home during COVID, we stopped to fuel up in a small mountain town and headed towards home on our return trip, just before we reached Albuquerque the truck broke down. Turns out we got some bad fuel and almost ruined the engine, stuck in Albuquerque for a week during the heart COVID at an RV park while the truck got service.
Was tuff, couldn't even go out for meals, many businesses were shutdown.
But it turned out to be an awesome trip overall and man do we have stories to tell... :tearsofjoy: :sunglasses::tearsofjoy:

Reactions: kunstmilch

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
A recurring problem I have is....I'm old, and forgetful, and I sometimes leave the tailgate down. Happens mostly when I am piddling around the house and jump in to run to the store. On the road I am pretty good truck driver and do a walk-around or two before I pull out. Yesterday I did it again and thought I had lost an ammo can that had some important stuff in it. I didn't but sooner or later.
I need a light that shows on the dash that it is unsecured. My backup camera will work when I am stopped but that isn't often quite in time.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
A recurring problem I have is....I'm old, and forgetful, and I sometimes leave the tailgate down. Happens mostly when I am piddling around the house and jump in to run to the store. On the road I am pretty good truck driver and do a walk-around or two before I pull out. Yesterday I did it again and thought I had lost an ammo can that had some important stuff in it. I didn't but sooner or later.
I need a light that shows on the dash that it is unsecured. My backup camera will work when I am stopped but that isn't often quite in time.
Great idea! Searched "tailgate down light" and came up with a lot of options; here are two that kind of bookmark the spectrum.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I wish there were more dispersed camping areas east of the Rockies and an easy to use global translator (Google Translate a bit clumsy) to make international travel a bit less intimidating.
Good points. Been wondering why they make so much of our public lands so inaccessible? I can just imagine the excuses. I understand wilderness areas, but having 90% of the forest only accessible by foot is not a good solution to a 70 yr old that has paid a shitload of taxes in their lifetime. That is a problem!

Reactions: P8trit

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Good points. Been wondering why they make so much of our public lands so inaccessible? I can just imagine the excuses. I understand wilderness areas, but having 90% of the forest only accessible by foot is not a good solution to a 70 yr old that has paid a shitload of taxes in their lifetime. That is a problem!
An interesting side bar to that. I spent a couple of decades repairing/maintaining 4wd trails with the local forest service. The environmentalists pushed to close them. They wanted only foot access to most areas. Once a year they would reach out to the off road clubs to help maintain the hiking trails because they didn't have anyone to help. There were only a couple of people dedicated, we had literally a couple hundred.
As it turns out, the majority of the users wanted full access, the couple of environmentalists raised more fuss. The minority got their way and the majority got shut out.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

I want a self-driving module to get me to the trail head. I can drive trails all day long, but I have very limited driving stamina on the actual road.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
An interesting side bar to that. I spent a couple of decades repairing/maintaining 4wd trails with the local forest service. The environmentalists pushed to close them. They wanted only foot access to most areas. Once a year they would reach out to the off road clubs to help maintain the hiking trails because they didn't have anyone to help. There were only a couple of people dedicated, we had literally a couple hundred.
As it turns out, the majority of the users wanted full access, the couple of environmentalists raised more fuss. The minority got their way and the majority got shut out.
That's what wilderness is for! Roads only use a small portion of the forest. I would support a lobby.

• Love
Reactions: Ubiety