Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
I'll second this LOL! Livein in Florida I'd like an A/C unit specifically built for tents that is highly efficient so it can run off battery power.
I would take the same for an RV. Only A/C units I have found that would work without a massive solar system wiuld be swamp coolers, but thats not very efficient and it takes a long time to cool anything down, and stuggles to keep it cool if ita 85+ outside.
EcoFlow just came out with their Wave ac unit

Reactions: Viking1204

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
I would say my biggest issue is chair comfort. As a 100% disabled vet, seating comfort is pretty high on the list for me or else my back starts screaming at me. I’ve been considering the Helinox chairs, but it’s hard to decide to drop that kind of cash without being able to sit on it first. So I guess my real problem is not having access to good outdoors/overlanding shops near me.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I would say my biggest issue is chair comfort. As a 100% disabled vet, seating comfort is pretty high on the list for me or else my back starts screaming at me. I’ve been considering the Helinox chairs, but it’s hard to decide to drop that kind of cash without being able to sit on it first. So I guess my real problem is not having access to good outdoors/overlanding shops near me.
I find this style of chair to be the most comfortable and I like having the side table. Lately I have been using a FrontRunner chair that is the same style and folds up extremely small - at the expense of not having a side table. The FrontRunner is very comfortable For my 6'2" frame.

1655607101811.png

Reactions: OTH Overland

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
I find this style of chair to be the most comfortable and I like having the side table. Lately I have been using a FrontRunner chair that is the same style and folds up extremely small - at the expense of not having a side table. The FrontRunner is very comfortable For my 6'2" frame.

View attachment 233454
That style will do nothing to support my lumbar where my fusion is. I think this one will support my lumbar and relieve some pressure from my thoracic (tumor/cyst thing on my t4/5 area from an injury that didn’t heal properly, not cancerous). Basically I need a lot of back support and to be able to lay back into it a bit.

Attachments

Reactions: M Rose and Ubiety

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Good points. Been wondering why they make so much of our public lands so inaccessible? I can just imagine the excuses. I understand wilderness areas, but having 90% of the forest only accessible by foot is not a good solution to a 70 yr old that has paid a shitload of taxes in their lifetime. That is a problem!
Don't get me started on that one. Here in Pennsylvania the closed up gates are open during hunting season. I've gotten as high up as the office of the state forrest's head person and our local state representative. The #1 reason? Locals using the areas as dumps. So, they gotta keep em closed or get a crap ton more money to hire more rangers to police the locals. There are other reasons we as a community are well aware of, but as both the office spokespersons stated, locals dumping trash. And they are correct, the amount of household appliance, furniture and household garbage is sickening. In the past 15 years it has cleaned up quite a bit and a few have been prosecuted, in the meantime we have only a couple forests we have access to which have become, unfortunately, popularized. New regulations have already been implemented because people are nitwits. Well look, I got started. I'll get off my soapbox now. Peace out

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Yeah,
Don't get me started on that one. Here in Pennsylvania the closed up gates are open during hunting season. I've gotten as high up as the office of the state forrest's head person and our local state representative. The #1 reason? Locals using the areas as dumps. So, they gotta keep em closed or get a crap ton more money to hire more rangers to police the locals. There are other reasons we as a community are well aware of, but as both the office spokespersons stated, locals dumping trash. And they are correct, the amount of household appliance, furniture and household garbage is sickening. In the past 15 years it has cleaned up quite a bit and a few have been prosecuted, in the meantime we have only a couple forests we have access to which have become, unfortunately, popularized. New regulations have already been implemented because people are nitwits. Well look, I got started. I'll get off my soapbox now. Peace out
I just spent about an hour picking up trash at the remote boat landing I go camp and fish. Some people are nasty and lazy. Wasn't household garbage though. Just beer cans, food wrappers and bait cups. I am about to the point of "screw the trash, I want access to my public lands" . If that's the only excuse they can come up with there should maybe be more designated dump sites. The trash is going to go somewhere regardless so why not figure out a solution. I'm old and don't give a crap! I may start carrying a torch and bolt cutters. I like camping out of my vehicle and don't want to leave it subject to vandalism. I used to backpack and still walk a good ways to fish.

It can be done because I have seen it work in too many places. Obviously it's locals dumping household garbage. I saw very little trash up on Beartooth Pass or on the edge of the wilderness in Wyoming and many other places. Ah, heyull, make all kids out of high school spend a year in public service policing and picking up trash. Bet it wouldn't take too long to fix that problem.

Methinks there are a lot of lazy bureaucrats that are too dumb to find workable solutions. OK, my rant for the day.

Reactions: Viking1204

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
That style will do nothing to support my lumbar where my fusion is. I think this one will support my lumbar and relieve some pressure from my thoracic (tumor/cyst thing on my t4/5 area from an injury that didn’t heal properly, not cancerous). Basically I need a lot of back support and to be able to lay back into it a bit.
We have found these to be very comfortable and affordable, they were a bit cheaper BC (Before Covid) but still not bad, have had a pair for several years and one is still good as new, the other replaced after wind blew it into a fire last Thanksgiving (They are totally oposite of fire resistant). Have held up to my large frame and extra weight extremly well for a budget chair and are compact and super light. we also carry the Front Runners for sitting at a table, but favor these for relaxing and sitting round the fire.
1655766039243.png

Reactions: GunRunnersActual

91B/91S

We have found these to be very comfortable and affordable, they were a bit cheaper BC (Before Covid) but still not bad, have had a pair for several years and one is still good as new, the other replaced after wind blew it into a fire last Thanksgiving (They are totally oposite of fire resistant). Have held up to my large frame and extra weight extremly well for a budget chair and are compact and super light. we also carry the Front Runners for sitting at a table, but favor these for relaxing and sitting round the fire.
View attachment 233655
When you large frame, are we saying 250+lbs? I like the price but I am always worried about weight.

GunRunnersActual

Rank V

Explorer I

Laurel, MS, USA
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Watson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WROE242
Service Branch
USMC
View attachment 233655
Those look very similar to the Helinox and Klymit chairs

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
When you large frame, are we saying 250+lbs? I like the price but I am always worried about weight.
Yes, the manufacture claims 250, but I would confidently say they are good to 300 with no issues, it does not seem likely for a cheap(ish) chair off amazon, but these things are way sturdier than they look. Only issues we have had are similar to most chairs of this type, the feet are not very large and if used on soft ground or soil the legs will sink in even with minimal weight. the other is if you want or need to use the chair sides to help stand up you have to use both so you dont tip the chair sideways which means you have to set down plates etc first.

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Alright. I've got one...A nondescript location(s) where groups can help each other work on their rigs, including a lift and other such higher end items. I am disabled and it is just damn near impossible for me to get anything done on my rig and its depressing. (What makes it definitely worse is my autism spectrum disorder demanding I dont cut a bunch of corners so I get stuck and frustrated often)
Like a skill share. This is somewhat common in the fine arts and fine crafts communities, it would be good to see it tried and pop up even if only occasionally, especially without a big profit motive demand.

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

Alright. I've got one...A nondescript location(s) where groups can help each other work on their rigs, including a lift and other such higher end items. I am disabled and it is just damn near impossible for me to get anything done on my rig and its depressing. (What makes it definitely worse is my autism spectrum disorder demanding I dont cut a bunch of corners so I get stuck and frustrated often)
Like a skill share. This is somewhat common in the fine arts and fine crafts communities, it would be good to see it tried and pop up even if only occasionally, especially without a big profit motive demand.
I was in a Jeep club years ago that teamed up to install numerous lifts. If you knew what you were doing, you'd take a primary role. If you didn't, you could come to learn and hand people tools. Lifts aren't really that complicated, you just need to occasionally know how to direct the weight of the vehicle and the force of the springs. On any given install, there was no guarantee of who would show up or what their knowledge level was, but things always went well in that environment.

Last edited:

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
I was in a Jeep club years ago that teamed up to install numerous lifts. If you knew what you were doing, you'd take a primary role. If you didn't, you could come to learn and hand people tools. Lifts aren't really that complicated, you just need to occasionally know how to direct the weight of the vehicle and the force of the springs. On any given install, there was no guarantee of who would show up or what their knowledge level was, but things always went well in that environment.
Yeah, I mean I guess its already a little bit like that with the coffee and rigs thing, except thats got a different focus (love that jeepers do that) It would be cool.