OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
I love the foil pack hobo dinners. That is how I wooed my wife. Made an entire meal in foil packs on our first camping trip and she was hooked. Not only do the ladies love it, but the clean up is OH SO EASY!

I also love a good dutch oven meal; enchiladas, lasagna, chicken and dumplings. The dutch oven now lives in the trailer.

Sky's the limit! Great thread! Let's keep it going!

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I love the foil pack hobo dinners. That is how I wooed my wife. Made an entire meal in foil packs on our first camping trip and she was hooked. Not only do the ladies love it, but the clean up is OH SO EASY!
Haha. Yes! Foil packs are the best. Especially when your focus doesn't want to be on cooking and you'd rather be socializing, drinking some beers, watching the kids, etc. Very easy to set and forget for a bit haha.

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

Kyle, Texas, United States
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

I also love a good dutch oven meal; enchiladas, lasagna, chicken and dumplings. The dutch oven now lives in the trailer.

What are foil pack hobo dinners? with a name like that they have to be delicious!

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
@Rav4_Overland

Step 1: Get a nice size piece of Al foil - Heavy duty or a couple layers of reg strength.
Step 2: Throw a bunch of delicious stuff onto the foil; Hamburger patties or chicken or pork tenderloins, etc potatoes, onions, peppers, seasoning, sauces, etc. etc.
Step 3: Fold it up well
Step 4: Throw it on the edge of your fire on top of coals, rotate occasionally. Cook 40ish mins
Step 5: Carefully remove from fire, carefully open and ENJOY!

Sometimes I do veggies and meat all together in one pack, sometimes separate. It is fun for kids to put together their own meal and with plenty of adult supervision cook it in the fire.

Pretty simple. Pretty hard to screw up, unless you have a few too many beverages and forget about it for 2 hours.

Last edited:

Ahoward2k

Rank VI

Advocate I

Helena, Alabama, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired
@Rav4_Overland

Step 1: Get a nice size piece of Al foil - Heavy duty or a couple layers of reg strength.
Step 2: Throw a bunch of delicious stuff onto the foil; Hamburger patties or chicken or pork tenderloinK9s, etc potatoes, onions, peppers, seasoning, sauces, etc. etc.
Step 4: Throw it on the edge of your fire on top of coals, rotate occasionally. Cook 40ish mins

Sometimes I do veggies and meat all together in one pack, sometimes separate. It is fun for kids to put together their own meal and with plenty of adult supervision cook it in the fire.

Pretty simple. Pretty hard to screw up, unless you have a few too many beverages and forget about it for 2 hours.
Try putting a spoon full of condensed cream of mushrooms soup in there

Ahoward2k

Rank VI

Advocate I

Helena, Alabama, United States
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired
Try putting a spoon full of condensed cream of mushrooms soup in there
Ohhhhh, that sounds good!

Yes! A decent amount of liquid is not a bad idea to keep it from burning. BBQ sauce, splash or beer, A-1, soy sauce, etc.
The soup makes a kind of gravy with the beef fat. I always take a stick of butter and rub it on the inside of the foil to keep it from sticking. Brussels sprouts and green beans with potatoes and about a half pound patty of beef on top of all of the veggies is my go to

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

@Rav4_Overland

Step 2: Throw a bunch of delicious stuff onto the foil; Hamburger patties or chicken or pork tenderloins, etc potatoes, onions, peppers, seasoning, sauces, etc. etc.

That sounds incredible, I will try that on my next trip!

Reactions: OcoeeG

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549

Oh man, I haven't made hobo dinners in years! This is for sure on the next trips dinner list!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Same I used to be a rum snob. Then I was introduced to bourbon. And haven’t turned back.
You might enjoy a good rye if you are enjoying bourbon. Rarely imbibe anymore but enjoy good bourbon/rye/tequila and always enjoyed sampling a friend’s ye olde rums. Life is too short for cheap booze.

Angel’s Envy or the high proof Four Roses (with a splash of water) are excellent choices.

Great thread!

Last edited:

Coreymol

Local Expert, Texas USA

Guardian I

Boerne, Texas, United States
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Molinelli
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WREM781 on GMRS
Service Branch
Army
Same I used to be a rum snob. Then I was introduced to bourbon. And haven’t turned back.
You might enjoy a good rye if you are enjoying bourbon. Rarely imbibe anymore but enjoy good bourbon/rye/tequila and always enjoyed sampling a friend’s ye olde rums. Life is too short for cheap booze.

Great thread!
I’m kind of a bourbon snob hahaha. There are only a few Ryes I enjoy. Michters for one. Other than that. Not a huge rye fan. But I appreciate the info

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Burgers, the camp food staple. Though I think I lived on cold Hormel Chilli straight out of the can in Africa.
Oooo, straight from the can. Cold! I've eaten pork and beans like that but never chili. Seems like it would give me the feeling of eating dog food (although I love canned chili warm!)

gjkoenig

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

NJ, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Koenig
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UQW
What is your favorite rum? I know guys who are are from Cuba and they bring back rum for me when they visit their family. It's called Ritual and it's really good. When that's gone it's Pyrat.
I am a big fan of Appleton Estate from Jamaica. Their Signature It is my go to rum for making Mai Tais and other Tiki drinks (hobby of mine).

Rav4_Overland

Rank VIII

Steward I

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Lindquist
Member #

What is your favorite rum? I know guys who are are from Cuba and they bring back rum for me when they visit their family. It's called Ritual and it's really good. When that's gone it's Pyrat.
I am a big fan of Appleton Estate from Jamaica. Their Signature It is my go to rum for making Mai Tais and other Tiki drinks (hobby of mine).
Love me some Appleton estate.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Man I am just the opposite-I was a big bourbon drinker before the bourbon boom hit, now I cannot find any of my old regulars so I have moved on to other stuff - Scotch where you can find a 15 year old in a good liquor store, rum and tequila. When I do drink bourbon now it is the good QPR stuff that is readily available and really don't miss the unicorns.

Reactions: Coreymol