Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
This was one of my first stops here. So glad I found this video, M.

I've been through a lot of hobbies in my life. Picked things up and let them drop when I lost interest. The ones I kept in practice have all had some sort of community involved. Some of them have great communities, and some have just awful, judgmental, competitive communities — typically over superficial things like gear and vapid accomplishment.

I'm just getting into all this nonsense, but I like what I see in this community so far.
You are very welcome here sir!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Not to toot my own horn or anything but an overlanding friend and I did an interview for a local magazine recently that just came out. Our goal was to educate people a bit on what overlanding is and give a better image of off roading than what the general public has. Didn't get everything across we wanted but I think she did a good job writing the article.

If anybody is interested in the online version which is easier to read. I have found it's a bit picky on browsers but heard Chrome works good with it.

View attachment 1336

View attachment 1337
Awesome!

Reactions: Luis Merlo

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Good article, thanks for sharing. Sounds like an amazing adventure.
We have a great time and actually just finished another week long trip with the group last week. This time we hit several areas in Kentucky.

Brendan_McCormick

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

I have to say, I ve watched this video a few times. Love how you state it. I love the gear, the rigs, the clunkyness of things while driving. But that's for me. I don't care if I see a civic going by with the same intentions I do. As long as we're out having fun. Ride on brother.
P.s.-- I'm heading out to the east coast for a week soon, then hopefully getting in a possible trip to Newfoundland and Labrador. Making it a great year. Cheers.

TommyDoomsday

Rank 0

Contributor I

Awesome video. I'm new to the forum. And really the lifestyle I suppose. I grew up camping stopped for a while and let life hold me back. Not anymore. My wife and I just took our 3 year old daughter on her first camping trip last weekend in the Pocono Mts in Eastern PA and she loved it. Sub freezing night temps, snow, the whole 9 yards. We just bought a 2001 R50 Pathfinder a few months back and I will slowly be upgrading it to be able to reach a few more destinations. Thank you for accepting any and all those who just want to go outside. I look forward to being a part of this community.

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Awesome video. I'm new to the forum. And really the lifestyle I suppose. I grew up camping stopped for a while and let life hold me back. Not anymore. My wife and I just took our 3 year old daughter on her first camping trip last weekend in the Pocono Mts in Eastern PA and she loved it. Sub freezing night temps, snow, the whole 9 yards. We just bought a 2001 R50 Pathfinder a few months back and I will slowly be upgrading it to be able to reach a few more destinations. Thank you for accepting any and all those who just want to go outside. I look forward to being a part of this community.
Welcome.to.the.group!....you.came.to.the.right.place,Amigo!

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

During my down time I watch a lot of videos to keep my spirits up, learn more about Overlanding, and get ideas for new trips. The majority of videos I watch are by Mark Doiron, I find them to be the best overall videos and, to me, gives the best view of what to expect with Overlanding. He has a general destination in mind but really shows that the journey is the true destination.

Expedition Overland also has some really good videos but theirs are on the professional level. Theirs are also expeditions which most people can't fit into their schedule when they have a non-Overland related job. The thing I like best about theirs though is they really push the cultural side of Overlanding. Overlanding is not just about driving through the woods, its about exploring and that includes the people who live in those areas.

For most of us, non-Overland related job peoples, Mountain State Overland has the videos I enjoy the most. For one theirs are in the Appalachian Mountains (our neck of the woods) and combine short trips with stops to meet new people. They like to point out the cultural side of the region they are from, mostly music, and show what these areas have to offer. And, just as the other two, they show that Overlanding isn't about obstacles, its about paved roads, gravel roads, and dirt trails, what is necessary to get from point A to point B.

I know most people are focused on getting out into nature and spending time camping but Overlanding is much more than just that. As the video points out, its about getting out of your comfort zone and finding out what is different about where you are versus where you are from. Take the time to visit those small towns and little out of the way places, you might meet some great people. We have.

Kurt Struss

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Michigan
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Struss
Member #

Great video and very inclusive. Looking to have the best the experience I can within the limits of my vehicle. Never had a bad moment yet.

awolfnspirit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Layton, Utah
Member #

Just watched this video again, I have to say again how true this is. It drives me insane when people or co-workers ask me "What is Overlanding?" then I tell them it is "Vehicle dependent travel" then they refuse to accept it and want me to further explain or define what it is. Overlanding is traveling to a destination using a vehicle (motorcycle, car, truck, suv,etc...doesn't matter). I made a promise to myself when i got into this "Overlaind lifestyle" to not judge another's form of transportation. Weather you drive a Jeep, Toyota, Ford, Chevy or a damn Ferrari.....it does not matter, if you have an explorer type mentality and heart then by definition you are an Overlander. This forum is both a blessing and a curse for me; it makes me want to get out and explore more but due to work, time and money constraints that it is not possible to quench my thirst for adventure, which more than likely it could not be satisfied even if I was a millionaire and never had to work again and could just explore all the time. I think a true Overlander can never be satisfied and will always have that hunger to get out and see this beautiful place God has given us.
Well said @Overland-Indiana! Your last sentence made me think of a quote I just read today:
“This instinct for a free life in the open is as natural and wholesome as the gratification of hunger and thirst and love. It is Nature’s recall to the simple mode of existence she intended us for.” – HORACE KEPHART, Camping and Woodcraft, 1917

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

awolfnspirit

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Layton, Utah
Member #

Great video. Puts things into perspective. I need to spend less time worrying about the next "mod" for my rig, and keep getting out to explore within it's limitations.
Amen. I too was getting hung up with "keeping up with the Joneses". By the way, Joneses = XOverland!!! Since I have joined this amazing community on Overland Bound I have been focusing on being in nature, really being there. And building on the relationships with the people who have the same passion as I do to be out there in the wilderness albeit in person or online.