Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Wasn't today, but dropped the old X off at the mechanic on Monday for some maintenance and an inspection to make sure it's ready to go for the ID BDR in a bit over a month. I'm happy to report that mechanically, she's good to go.

Picking her up tomorrow, and ordering new serpentine belts, and tie rod ends to keep on hand for the bdr.

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
Spent allot of time rebuilding these in my late teens and early twenties, good old #3 always causing problems.
Yep, oil cooler impedes the airflow to #3 so it suffers more than the others. Later on (1971 i think) VW moved the oil cooler forward and out of #3's airflow which was a big improvement. That setup can be retrofitted to the older engines, but mine is just stock.

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
This happened a week or so ago now, but I got the VW engine back together and in the car. It runs great. Better than it has in quite a few years actually. It deteriorates so slow you don't notice, but when you fix it, wow what a difference. Hills that used to take full throttle can now be taken at 2/3rds and the idle is so much smoother. I've got a few hundred miles on it now and all seems well. First oil change after ring break in had some metallic sheen to the oil but nothing big. Not too unexpected for an engine with no real oil filter. Second oil change after a couple hundred more miles looked much better. Not bad for a total investment of around $200 to revive it. I don't expect too much longevity from a cleaned up and refreshed $45 cylinder head and some new piston rings, but so far, I've been impressed.

That being said, the VW is being retired, at least for the near future, from long road trip adventures. I recently picked up a 2012 Toyota Sienna (super boring, huh) that will be my new long-distance vehicle. I'll build a new sleeping platform and figure out storage stuff for the Sienna soon. The massively bigger inside space is amazing. The VW has been awesome, better than I ever expected, but it's cramped and uncomfortable inside and not knowing how well the engine will hold up, I was ready for a change. 10 years and many cross-country trips have been fun, but I'm looking forward to being able to sleep comfortably inside the van and not have to worry about the wind direction affecting how fast I can go. Heat and A/C will be nice too. I'm not getting rid of the VW by any means. It'll still continue as my main vehicle spring, summer, and fall.

Engine back in. That's the cleanest this engine has been in years.

First drive to break in the new piston rings.

Last edited:

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Sewed covers for the overhead bins in the trailer, along with light blocking, removable covers for the porthole windows; designed and sewed exterior window shades to block direct sunlight when the trailer is parked. The decorating may seem silly to many of you, but these are functional additions and this will be my home for the next three months. Might as well make her look nice!
I also buffed the chrome tongue box and fenders on the trailer (shiny!). Finally, washed and waxed both the trailer and truck in preparation for departure. I use Meguiar’s Tech Wax 2.0 - great stuff.

Attachments

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Sewed covers for the overhead bins in the trailer, along with light blocking, removable covers for the porthole windows; designed and sewed exterior window shades to block direct sunlight when the trailer is parked. The decorating may seem silly to many of you, but these are functional additions and this will be my home for the next three months. Might as well make her look nice!
I also buffed the chrome tongue box and fenders on the trailer (shiny!). Finally, washed and waxed both the trailer and truck in preparation for departure. I use Meguiar’s Tech Wax 2.0 - great stuff.
Great. I like the fabric with the caravans and campfires etc. on.

Reactions: ZombieCat

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
On the Jeep front, the XJ has had an exhaust leak tick for a few weeks now. Finally got the time to take it apart and deal with it. Nearly every junction was cracked and one was cracked so bad I could see daylight though the collector pipe. The one I thought was good inmy attic had small crack in one joint so I decided to just order up a new one. Should be here any minute now. Edit-This is now compelted. XJ is up and ready for more DD duty.

I also replaced all the coolant lines and refilled with new coolant on the same Jeep, and went to put a new speed sensor in (it's been intermittent) but found I have the round pin plug and ordered the flat pin sensor. Looks like the round pin sensors are no long available, so I had to order an adapter harness.

On the YJ I was going to wire up my SENA SR10 to the Motorola radio so I can use it with my wireless headsets and remote PTT but don't have the right pins for the connector on the rear of the radio so ordered up one of those from EBAY, along with a 20v tool battery adapter so I can power the kids Power Wheels Jeeps with my lithium batteries instead of using the expensive Power Wheels 12v batteries.

I also pulled the distributor this morning which is a source of a decent sized oil leak and replaced the paper gasket at the base with an oring. That should fix that leak up.

Bigger project is I discovered the transmission has a sizeable oil leak from the rear weep hole which indicates a rear seal failure in the transmission. Thankfully it's not that hard to drop the transfer case on these things so after the Cherokee is back together today I'll pull the YJ over and drop the case either tonight or first thing tomorrow and prep it for the seal that had to be ordered.

On the transmission front, I found a salvage AX5 transmission down south of me and will be going to pick that up this weekend coming up. I'll put that on the bench for a tear down and inspection and do the 5th gear fixes. They're known for crapping 5th gear and mine is making a horrible racket in 5th, so I've been driving it as a 4 speed.

Whew, been a busy few days. Except for yesterday. Due to parts, the kids and I were kind of being lazy.