First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Taken on Saturday.

Went out to test some new equipment I got, as well as do my first solo camping. Stayed pretty close to home on purpose.

Diesel heater stopped working at about 6pm,and I couldn't get it started again. It was giving me an e-2 error code (which, according to the manual, is over voltage). I ordered a 20A voltage stabilizer to hopefully fix the issue.

The zoleo works amazingly well though.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
The only thing I'm jealous of with Jeep and Toyota owners is just how much stuff is available to you guys. I have to get pretty creative with my solutions (not that I mind that), but that is a very clean install.
If you want to get RALLY creative, try outfitting a 28 yr old 2nd Gen Explorer... :fearscream:

Reactions: SJ.Overland

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arvada, Colorado, United States
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Finally installing a 270 awning to replace the old ebay special. It's an Ironman 4x4 270. Had to modify the mounts to fit on my truck topper rails. Can't wait to test this awning on the trail. I also bought the annex walls. Ironman seems like a decent company so far.

Attachments

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Nothing serious yesterday, no pictures. Replaced the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, left engine mount, which came off in two pieces, and the other idler pulley bearing which was like it was rotating on sand, this did not fix the rattle so the timing set will be getting replaced, and finally changed the oil and filter, the filter was marked with a 2014 manuf date so no idea when it was changed last. The FPR and filter did not fix the pressure issues but did at least fix the fuel leak down problem so the FPR was bad. I dropped an order for a fuel pump, timing chain set, exhaust manifold ect. I'm working extra this weekend but should be able to get some of it done Sunday and part of next week. I think I'll go ahead and drop the tank Sunday.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Working on redoing the electrical in the X. Wired up a new relay box, and using powerpole connectors for all the relay switched accessories.

I also replaced the 12v socket in the rear driver's side of the drawer system with dual 30A powerpole plugs (with 20A fuses), and added a 25A solar charger.

Attachments

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Noticed a howling noise and some vibration from the front a few days ago, suspected my aging tires and changed the pressure to see (hear) if it's changing, nothing...
Checked the wheel bearings, solid...
Checked the driveshafts, seems solid...

But I noticed my front diff doesn't sound happy, so I grabbed diff oil next day after work and as soon as I got home drained the front axle. When I opened the fill plug a huge amount came out, that's suspicious but the color... omg...
That's not what I put in...
So I carefully removed the drain plug expecting a flood of shavings, but nope nothing no metal just a very thin layer of black sludge on the magnet but what is flowing out didn't look very promising.
Thick, green slime, clear but full of tiny air bubbles, nothing like the milkshake you expect with water intrusion.

IMG_20230209_164821_compress76.jpg

This is what I'm talking about...
This was a nice clear blue diff oil when I put it in, no idea what happened. The rear went in at the same time and still looks nice, clear and blue, without bubbles.

So I put in the new, now standard quality, diff oil cleaned up the mess and went for a test drive, significantly less noisy and the vibration is also almost gone, but it leaves me a bit confused.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Installed Rago interior side window molle panels. A bit of confusion at first, as their video and directions are out of date as to the current hardware and necessary tool sizes. However, they have excellent customer service and all went smoothly once my questions were answered. Panels are sturdy and hug the shape of the truck, with no loss of cargo space. A bit tricky when mounting items requiring nuts/bolts, such as my fire extinguisher, as you can’t get a hand behind them. An offset box wrench solves that problem. I’m very pleased so far!

Attachments