DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I'll be up in that area first week of August, and it's on my list. I'm concerned they'll shut it down if I wait too much longer.
I don't believe there is need for concern for closing Black Bear Pass - unless you're referring to a different circumstance for closure. I dug this up from the Drive - from December 2021, so, I think we're safe:
Best of Luck!

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I don't believe there is need for concern for closing Black Bear Pass - unless you're referring to a different circumstance for closure. I dug this up from the Drive - from December 2021, so, I think we're safe:
Best of Luck!
It just seemed like it was getting a lot of negative press for a bit and I seem to remember some talk of it being on the chopping block. Thanks for the link.

Reactions: DaleRF

ZRex

Rank VII
Launch Member

Explorer I

Elizabethton, TN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klepp
Member #

Just finished some cooling upgrades on the old diesel suburban, about to compile and edit the video for my channel, holy smokes, 4K30 from two cameras for the entire process takes a lot of space and time!

New water pump, fan, fan clutch, belt, thermostats, and radiator cap, plus a little trimming and removing the old vacuum pump to eliminate a potential failure point in the belt drive system, since the vacuum pump only actuated the wastegate which has since been replaced with a more reliable mechanical part.

Reactions: roots66 and Shahn

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

This past weekend, installed my new-to-me Wilco Hitchgate Solo Hi-Clearance, added the Front Runner fold-down table, and relocated the backup camera. The camera location isn't the best but it's all I could come up with for now. I have a 1 gallon water Rotopax on it's way to me which will go next to the table and be perfect for making coffee and boil-in-a-bag.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Nearing completion on the CJ2. Things I know I have to do that I can remember.

1)finish cleaning up the bumper and paint it. The previous owners welded a bunch of crap to the original bumper. I can get a reman bumper for 125 dollars........but it's 125 dollars, lol. I really just need to spend a day with the grinder, leveling everything back off on it.

2)needs a windshield. I honestly plan on no top and mostly windshield down work, so this isn't a high priority.

3)needs at least one rearview mirror. The driver's side has a tab for this purpose, I just need to pick up a cheap mirror.

4)alignment. Not a huge deal, not much you can adjust anyway.

5)install drive shafts. I'm just waiting for the u-joint u-bolts to come in to NAPA, and I'll have the back one in.

6)put new U-Joints in the front drive shaft. It's a salvage shaft, the slip yoke has no play, but the u-joints are shot.

7)Low priority, but I want the old school "meep meep" horn.

8)Seats. Waiting on the upholstery shop. He sent me a picture the other day. The front two were finished, and he was waiting to start on the rear seat.

9)seatbelts. Waiting on seats to get here, so I know where to put the belts. It'll be lap belts only, but this thing wouldn't have had factory belts in it, so I've got no existing holes to install them into.

10)put skid plate back on after getting the Drive shafts in.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things.

almost done.jpgheadlights.jpgmarker lights.jpgtaillight.jpg