Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Pulled the valve covers and did the valve stem seals on my 76 CJ5 today, it consumes a fair amount of oil but never smokes, go figure. The previous owners were not very nice to this engine. Looks like they neglected oil changes and had the improper PCV valve in there which didn't help matters any. Nearly all the stem seals were loose and floppy and at least 3 had ridden up the stem and weren't even covering the guide anymore.

Compression numbers are still good on all 8 cylinders.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Finally decided where to mount my rototrax, Reclaiming some room in my bed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was thinking about mounting 1 set of X-Bull clones the same way, and leaving my 2nd set in their bag as additional spares. I have a low profile 'bed-box' in that same position, so they would be accessible from either side. It would keep the majority of the bed box empty and accessible for other gear.

My truck is old enough to not have a perimeter bed tie down design incorporated into it. So not being a metal designer/welder, means rigging up shovel or particular jack carry points are thoughts instead of reality. At one time I tried to mount a Hi Lift jack along a bed rail. It worked until I took it off-road. It's weight actually caused a small crease in the beds outer skin. Luckily it was pulled out by a body man. I had used modified C-clamps that can attach camper shells to pickup beds. Anything with weight will need support off the bed floor to avoid pulling out sheet metal fasteners.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Was hearing a whistling noise at idle and just off idle for quite a while. Couldn't quite place it. Went to check my base timing and noticed I had base timing with and without the vacuum line connected. The vacuum advance canister had sprung a leak. Pulled the dist cap and checked with my hand vacuum pump and got nothing but a whooshing air noise. Orileys was able to get me an accel vac advance same day (Mallory HEI on this Jeep from a previous owner) and I got it put back together with a new set of plug wires as I didn't know the age of the ones that were on there.

Fired it up first crank and the idle is much smoother now.