DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
So far I've seen a couple YT vids and it doesn't look too bad other than the million plastic fasteners that holds the front fascia on. We will see what I am saying after I get into the weeds of it. lol
It's gonna look great.

Reactions: Broke and 510Steve

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

@AE5TE

The Discovery II basically has an old 60's Buick engine, and you are right for the most part the low pressure light comes on at 6 psi.
AMC owned the engine for a bit and also used the timing cover design concept for the 304-360-401 (and 390 series) engines and Buick did the same for the 350-455 engines.
As the V8 engines age- oil pump end play (steel gears on aluminum housing) and excessive front cam bearing clearance is usually to blame for low idle oil pressure. It is common to see "0" psi oil pressure at hot idle on these engines. Not necessarily a problem, as the crank and rod bearings have much tighter clearances than say a Chevy small block, and tolerate it. But regardless, there are a few approaches from the Buick and AMC crowds to deal with low oil pressure at idle on this timing cover design. The V6 is hardier and has less of a problem with oil distribution front to back, but certain mods to raise the oil pressure apply to both the V6 and V8.

First is to make sure oil pump gear to housing clearance is not excessive. There are several kits for correcting this (or there was when I dealt with my Buick and later AMC engines). Also for my Buick I found a high volume kit which I believe has already been mentioned. This can be done in the driveway without too much trouble.
Second, check the output port from the pump cavity. On the AMC timing covers, it is greatly undersized. Opening up the port drastically improves oil pressure at idle. I do not know if this comes into play on the early V6. But if you are in checking end play, you will be able to see the output port. Modifying the port is difficult unless you have a 90 degree dental drill, but if you can figure out a tool then it is doable with the cover on the engine (at least in a Wagoneer).
Lastly, the engine has non priority oiling. So if there is oil loss anywhere the whole system drops in pressure. Years ago I did find an AMC based performance company that offered push rods with smaller orifices. This helped prioritize oil to the cam and lower end, with reduced flow to the rockers (which is excessive anyhow). This helped bump idle oil pressure a bit.

I would not worry about a click, persistent or not, in the valvetrain. Wear can be on the cam, lifter, pushrod, rocker arm, or valve stem. Where do you start in a non adjustable rocker system???? As long as it just a "click" and not a "CLACK" sound it is just normal wear over time. There is always the option to mill the rocker arm mounting bosses and install small block Chevy screw in studs and Chevy adjustable rocker arms. On a full rebuild it may be worth doing from the start, but I wouldn't bother going back in to do it!

It has taken me many years to no longer worry when I see low oil pressure at hot idle on this oil system configuration. And take everything I just wrote with a grain of salt, your engine version may have an updated system and I have never seen the Land Rover version of the engine. But if the oil pump and filter hangs off the right side of the cover, all I wrote should apply.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

Not so much what I did today, but what I will be doing this weekend. I ordered it right around Black Friday and finally showed up yesterday.
View attachment 156234
I have a winch to go with it, but nothing cool about a cardboard box. lol
Is that the SSO Slimline bumper?!? If so then don't leave it unattended for too long or some punk from Long Beach might snatch it! :laughing:

510Steve

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Leandro, California, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
YSL
Member #

Is that the SSO Slimline bumper?!? If so then don't leave it unattended for too long or some punk from Long Beach might snatch it! :laughing:
Haha yes it is. I am really impressed with the fabrication quality. You have till Saturday morning to try and grab it.. after that I will be attached to the truck.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@JimBill thanks for taking the time to respond, the Rover V8 has solid push rod design, with the filter off the right side. There are no known adjusting kits for the gears. Generally the pressure issues with these are the gears as you mentioned, and the bottom end wearing.

I am not massively worried, more OCD than anything, I travel solo a lot and well out of cell and radio range and after talking to Iridium sat devices can be marginal in the deep wood valley's in the PNW.

To me the most critical thing is to do maintenance and keep my rig running right, so any failure is beyond my control, oil pressure is just one of those things that was on my check box. Given a lot of travel can be barely above idle, I just want reasonable pressure in the 700 to 1200 RPM range hot.

Reactions: Broke and Kilo_17

Kilo_17

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
Bergevin
Member #

Yes, I got what you were saying. I have hit a moose. It was a calf and it did 18k worth of damage to my rig. Moose kill alot of people on the highways here since, 1. They don't slow down in the night, and 2. They don't use axuilary lighting. It should be mandatory here. I went for a quick scoot last night, I'm very impressed with the new bulbs. About 90 percent of what my truck lites did in my last jk. For 59 bucks. I'm happy. Adding the same lights to our patriot now.
Thank God you were able to walk away for that one then.
Your #1 point is same problem we have here with elk accidents. Though I've come across daytime accidents too from elk but not as often.
Having the led lights have helped me to spot them several times an slow down, before I would be damn near right up on em before I saw them chilling by the hwy.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Old school XJs aren't exactly known for their abundant power oulets so I added a low profile USB port into the passenger side cubby to power the nav tablet and give my wife a place to charge things when she goes with me.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Today was a perfect Land Rover day :

Start the truck all kinds of warning lights on :
Flashing Manual /Sport lights
E-brake, Hill Descent and ABS

Turn the Disco off, turn the Disco back on less Lights !

Flashing Manual /Sport lights - now off - this usually low battery
E-brake, Hill Descent and ABS - still on

Pull out the code reader - Stuck right rear right ABS valve, weird as the truck has not moved in 2 days.

Clear the codes restart the Disco nope still there

Run the ABS pump test codes go out instantly

Go for a long test drive with a few stops, Disco gets warm 202 vs a normal 194 after along idle, check the Fan clutch, yup spins the same cold and hot. But the lights stay out.

Order a new fan clutch - cheap easy repair once it gets here

Somewhere Murphy and this guy are howling in laughter

gremlin.jpg

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
With all the free time I've had lately, I decided to try and get a few projects on the van done. One of them was to get my Aluminess rear storage box better organized. I added a carpet wrapped piece of plywood to the inside of the door so I can carry some basic tools I might need and for now, at least 1 shelf to separate some of the gear. I've always hated having to take everything out in order to get to the stuff on the bottom.

I have a couple of storage containers & a tool roll from OverlandGearGuy coming this week. Once I get them, I'll figure out where the second shelf will go & I should be fairly (for me anyway) organized.

I've also been a bit concerned about the weight/stress on the top attachment point when the swing arm is open for any length of time, so I modified an expandable heavy duty shower curtain that I can prop-up the box with to help take some of the weight off of it. I'm not sure how well it works, but it seems to do what I wanted & for $19.00, it was worth a try. It also stores quite nicely inside the box & helps prevent stuff from falling out when I open it.

IMG_4970.JPG IMG_4974.JPG IMG_4977.JPG

Last edited:

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Old school XJs aren't exactly known for their abundant power oulets so I added a low profile USB port into the passenger side cubby to power the nav tablet and give my wife a place to charge things when she goes with me.

Nice! What a great idea!

Reactions: Downs and Broke

Kilo_17

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Sedro-Woolley, WA, USA
First Name
Miles
Last Name
Bergevin
Member #

So major bummer today while trying to get the new wheels and tires installed.
20200529_141015.jpg
Literally the last lug nut outta 24!
Thank God Discount tire has a great repair/replace policy towards this issue.

Bad news is the shop they use was slammed and I won't get my rig till Monday :sob:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
So major bummer today while trying to get the new wheels and tires installed.
View attachment 156445
Literally the last lug nut outta 24!
Thank God Discount tire has a great repair/replace policy towards this issue.

Bad news is the shop they use was slammed and I won't get my rig till Monday :sob:
Crappy. That's how it always goes. The last one will get you every time.

• Haha
Reactions: Kilo_17 and Broke