We are driving around the world. Right now.

• HTML tutorial

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Update on my recent silence:

I had stopped posting on Overland Bound (Even though I love this community) I was having a lot of technical problems with the forums. I submitted a trouble ticket and went through various emails but nothing was ever resolved. However when we were speaking this year at Overland Expo West prior to departing on our global journey I met with Overland Bound Staff Member and Executive Director @Kent R who said, he'd personally help with any issues, so I'm going to give it another shot to share our global overland adventure.

So hopefully this works. I've updated the initial post on this thread to reflect updates to where we are in the journey and a few other things. Also I've added to that original post the very first video in our global overland journey which includes our border crossing and trip into the interior of Mexico.

This is the second video that was just released today 10/21/21 it includes something crazy that happened. We inadvertently bumped into the President of San Luis Potosi (Essentially the Mayor of the city) and he invited us into the Palacio Municipal (Municipal Palace or our equivalent of City Hall). This started a snowball effect where now we've connected with the City's Tourism Director and now we're being interviewed tomorrow by the city press.

Hope you enjoy the video and I hope to make more regular updates with Kent's assistance if needed. All the best from Mexico! ~ Eric

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Thank you so much for replying to my message on your other thread. Excellent to know that you're in Mexico & will love watching your videos about your trip around the world, which is a totally excellent thing to be doing. The campgrounds in one of your videos that I watched look pretty good and if you have other recommendations for campgrounds in Mexico, I would love to know about them. Think I'll probably be in Mexico in November and I don't know but possibly I,lol keep driving all the way to Argentina or Chile. Anyway enjoy your travels & think you'll really love your trip.

Reactions: Hourless Life

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
Update on my recent silence:

I had stopped posting on Overland Bound (Even though I love this community) I was having a lot of technical problems with the forums. I submitted a trouble ticket and went through various emails but nothing was ever resolved. However when we were speaking this year at Overland Expo West prior to departing on our global journey I met with Overland Bound Staff Member and Executive Director @Kent R who said, he'd personally help with any issues, so I'm going to give it another shot to share our global overland adventure.

So hopefully this works. I've updated the initial post on this thread to reflect updates to where we are in the journey and a few other things. Also I've added to that original post the very first video in our global overland journey which includes our border crossing and trip into the interior of Mexico.

This is the second video that was just released today 10/21/21 it includes something crazy that happened. We inadvertently bumped into the President of San Luis Potosi (Essentially the Mayor of the city) and he invited us into the Palacio Municipal (Municipal Palace or our equivalent of City Hall). This started a snowball effect where now we've connected with the City's Tourism Director and now we're being interviewed tomorrow by the city press.

Hope you enjoy the video and I hope to make more regular updates with Kent's assistance if needed. All the best from Mexico! ~ Eric

Definitely looking forward to your adventures as you travel through central and south America. And glad you went with video.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Thank you so much for replying to my message on your other thread. Excellent to know that you're in Mexico & will love watching your videos about your trip around the world, which is a totally excellent thing to be doing. The campgrounds in one of your videos that I watched look pretty good and if you have other recommendations for campgrounds in Mexico, I would love to know about them. Think I'll probably be in Mexico in November and I don't know but possibly I,lol keep driving all the way to Argentina or Chile. Anyway enjoy your travels & think you'll really love your trip.
Hey Mark! Then definitely stay in touch. Not sure where you are planning on crossing, but I would suggest Eagle Pass / Piedras Negras. If you go during the week you can get all your paperwork done at the Banjercito in Piedras Negras right across the border. But they are closed on the weekends. If that is the case, then you need to go about 40 minutes south just outside of Allende to the Banjercito there. You'll need copies of your license, passport, vehicle registration, insurance, and your FMM Tourist Visa that they issue you on the premises. If for some reason they don't have a copy machine then that is on you to find a way to get copies made. It was frustrating because they demand copies of documents that they issue you. So I ran about 1/4 mile to a gas station, got the copies made and came back for our Temporary Import Permit for the vehicle. Not a big deal, just a pain. Our paperwork processing took 2 hours.

Our two camping locations on the way to San Luis Potosi are in our videos. Would recommend both. Recommend you use iOverlander to search for campsites down here. Also that you don't drive at night and plan on being at your campsite for the night by 3PM whenever possible.

We'll be in San Luis Potosi until November 10th. Then we will tool around for 4 or 5 days and then head to Guanajuato from November 15- January 1sr. Let me know if I can be a resource for you. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I enjoyed briefly chatting with y’all at the Texas Avid Outdoor expo a few weeks ago.
That was a great time. So many good people there. We really enjoyed it. It was our last event before we left the States on this global journey. Glad we had a chance to meet. ~ Eric

Reactions: Sparksalot

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Definitely looking forward to your adventures as you travel through central and south America. And glad you went with video.
Appreciate you following along. Let me know if any questions come up. Our next video that hopefully comes out tomorrow is all about a place that I don't even think is on iOverlander yet. But it is a camping area available to overlanders here just 30-40 minutes outside the city of San Luis Potosi in the National Park called Sierra de Alvarez. ~ Eric

Reactions: SLO Rob

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Hey Mark! Then definitely stay in touch. Not sure where you are planning on crossing, but I would suggest Eagle Pass / Piedras Negras. If you go during the week you can get all your paperwork done at the Banjercito in Piedras Negras right across the border. But they are closed on the weekends. If that is the case, then you need to go about 40 minutes south just outside of Allende to the Banjercito there. You'll need copies of your license, passport, vehicle registration, insurance, and your FMM Tourist Visa that they issue you on the premises. If for some reason they don't have a copy machine then that is on you to find a way to get copies made. It was frustrating because they demand copies of documents that they issue you. So I ran about 1/4 mile to a gas station, got the copies made and came back for our Temporary Import Permit for the vehicle. Not a big deal, just a pain. Our paperwork processing took 2 hours.

Our two camping locations on the way to San Luis Potosi are in our videos. Would recommend both. Recommend you use iOverlander to search for campsites down here. Also that you don't drive at night and plan on being at your campsite for the night by 3PM whenever possible.

We'll be in San Luis Potosi until November 10th. Then we will tool around for 4 or 5 days and then head to Guanajuato from November 15- January 1sr. Let me know if I can be a resource for you. ~ Eric
Hello Eric, That's excellent information & thank you extremely for replying. Seems like Mexico is a fairly no problem place & good to know about the border crossing. I watched your video about the birder crossing & saw the two campsites. Really excellent video & the campsites look pretty nice & the border crossing seems OK, even if a bit annoying about the copies. Also so your video with the provincial president & thought that was really excellent & loved seeing that you guys are now celebrities in Mexico : )

Won't bother you too much (you have better things to do when diving around the world than to answer my questions) but might drop you a line if something comes up. I'll probably be driving to the town of Tulum because my family will be there over the American Thanksgiving. After that no plan yet, but might explore the rest of Mexico or might head south into Belize or Guatemala. Possibly we'll happen to see each other somewhere along the way.

Really love what you're doing & think the rest of your trip will be absolutely excellent. Enjoy your travels!

Cheers, M

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Hello Eric, That's excellent information & thank you extremely for replying. Seems like Mexico is a fairly no problem place & good to know about the border crossing. I watched your video about the birder crossing & saw the two campsites. Really excellent video & the campsites look pretty nice & the border crossing seems OK, even if a bit annoying about the copies. Also so your video with the provincial president & thought that was really excellent & loved seeing that you guys are now celebrities in Mexico : )

Won't bother you too much (you have better things to do when diving around the world than to answer my questions) but might drop you a line if something comes up. I'll probably be driving to the town of Tulum because my family will be there over the American Thanksgiving. After that no plan yet, but might explore the rest of Mexico or might head south into Belize or Guatemala. Possibly we'll happen to see each other somewhere along the way.

Really love what you're doing & think the rest of your trip will be absolutely excellent. Enjoy your travels!

Cheers, M
Mark, no worries at all. We have a lot to do, but our family mission statement is Love. Explore. Study. Share. We want to be a resource for others. Our hope is to inspire, empower, and encourage others. So ask away. Also when you get in country, touch base. Would be great to connect with another overlander in person down here. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Ok for those adventurous enough to come down to Mexico, this is a place you can camp!

Our son Caspian did the bravest thing he's ever done, and this place we visited is not only magical, they have a heart for people with disabilities. Amazing place and amazing mission. Hope you enjoy.

Any questions let me know. ~ Eric

M Chattanooga

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Chattanooga, TN, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Mitchell
Member #

Cheers, M
Mark, no worries at all. We have a lot to do, but our family mission statement is Love. Explore. Study. Share. We want to be a resource for others. Our hope is to inspire, empower, and encourage others. So ask away. Also when you get in country, touch base. Would be great to connect with another overlander in person down here. ~ Eric
Thanks so much, Eric. Really wonderful family mission & absolutely nice of you to share your excellent information. Will probably get in touch again when I'm on way to Mexico (I tend to plan trips at the last minute) and, yes, it would be fun to connect when I'm there.

Keep enjoying your travels & I really do love what you're doing.

Cheers & all the best, M

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Overlanding around the world is pretty amazing. If you'd really like to get a taste of interior Mexico, this video shows what it is like.

Santa Maria del Rio is one of the 132 "Magic Towns" or Pueblo Magico of Mexico. We spent two days in the city. The first getting to know the city, and the second celebrating Dia de los Muertos. Both are captured in this short video.

Hope you enjoy and feel free to ask any questions. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Overland Expo is doing a series called "Why We Roam" and they asked us to be part of it. This is just a teaser of a longer video that will be available on November 12. But it in we talk about why we chose to travel full-time and a little bit about our story.

Hope you enjoy the teaser and let me know if you have any questions. ~ Eric

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Just a heads up to our Hourless Life community:

While we normally answer every comment fairly quickly, we may be radio silent between November 10-14 as we'll be heading deep into the interior of Mexico to an otherworldly oasis looking place called La Huasteca. Google it and be amazed. From what we understand there is extremely limited connectivity out there. So didn't want you to think we fell off the map, though we're trying.

For those who might be on our Patreon, I just posted tonight all of the details about our trip, so check that out.

Anyway, we're ready to head out to the next adventure on this global journey, and we're glad you are all here with us.

If you follow us on IG or FB and you don't hear from us by the 15th...send the cavalry. The road out to La Huasteca from SLP is supposed to be fairly dangerous because of all the twists and turns through the mountains to get there.

But if all goes well, we'll have quite the experience in La Huasteca and end up in Guanajuato, Mexico on the 15th. Which, by the way, is a UNESCO World Heritage city.

We're all ready to go and start the next part of our global journey and if you are reading this, we're so glad that you are with us for the ride!

~ Eric + Brittany + Caspian Highland | Hourless Life
Love. Explore. Study. Share.

JeepingMike

Rank V

Advocate II

Greencastle, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stern
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7THL
Service Branch
USN Corpsman Veteran
Just a heads up to our Hourless Life community:

We're all ready to go and start the next part of our global journey and if you are reading this, we're so glad that you are with us for the ride!

~ Eric + Brittany + Caspian Highland | Hourless Life
Love. Explore. Study. Share.
Safe travels!! Looking forward to more awesomeness when you climb back on the map, I mean grid.