Water Storage (Merged Thread)

• HTML tutorial

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I've been looking at building a hot water setup to mount on my rack. My idea is to use pvc80 in either 4" or 5" by 8ft long and mount a fill port and a port on the bottom to attach a hose. I'll build a matching one for the other side for drinkable water. I haven't checked to see how much water they will hold yet so I don't know the weight either. Could be that it might be a really bad idea,too.

OB 1643
If you do the calculation, it is not holding all that much water....

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
@Steve - Yeah thanks. That makes sense.
@Michael1929 - Sounds cool! And I love the idea @Captain Josh proposed. It would be pretty easy to do. Just drill and tap in a Schrader valve! And if you've got an on-board compressor, it would be excellent. One note: Check in to being able to use PVC as a drinking water container... I'm pretty sure it's not the right material to use as it leaches chemicals in to the water, especially when heated up by the sun.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
My two cents on the water discussion: how much water you bring is never enough for extended trips, so we bring enough for a few days and are set up to filter more.

With a bit of creativity, an MSR dromedary can be used as a "dirty" water bag and the spigot can be plumbed with a Sawyer Mini. It's the same idea as the Katadyn base camp filters but cheaper, and the Katadyn goes through filters like mad -- it's a crappy product to be honest. We had one but would only get 15 gallons before needing a new filter, and at 40 bucks a pop, that's pricey.

The Sawyer is good for 100 thousand liters and are only 20 bucks to replace. And they are so small and cheap you can bring a dozen if you really want.

Anyway, dirty water into the Dromedary which gets hooked to the roof rack or a tree. Hose into the Sawyer, and filtered water goes into a 5 gallons scepter can.

Takes about 20 minutes to a half hour to filter 5 gallons which is enough for us for 2 days easy, and that's length of time is perfectly to stretch the legs a bit.

On the bike, I just fill a dromedary with 10 liters and ask nicely at restaurants for a refill, though I have thee Sawyer with me then too.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Stone Johnny Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Williston, ND
Member #

So my question with all these plastic containers is. How many of these said containers have a heavy plastic smell and how do you get rid of the heavy plastic smell? The 7gal blue Reliance seem to smell the worse and hard to get rid of the odor. Does it go away with time?

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

So my question with all these plastic containers is. How many of these said containers have a heavy plastic smell and how do you get rid of the heavy plastic smell? The 7gal blue Reliance seem to smell the worse and hard to get rid of the odor. Does it go away with time?
Mine is 8 years old and just sat full in the closet for storm preps. Never noticed a smell other than when brand new. It's been in rotation for overlanding the last 3 years.

DividedSky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

USA
Member #

My Scepters have ZERO smell.

I also like to use the Camco RV water filter when filling them:

And a Camco Water Bandit to allow fill ups from almost ANY source.

RJJK

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Dubai - United Arab Emirates
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Jenkins
Just to revive this... Ihave just got a 20L Spectre water can and plan to just use it in conjunction with a 12v pump for washing

I don't have any external mount but would be interested to know if anyone has any innovative solutions for carrying these inside the rig. It seems that they dont fit standard NATO carriers?

RideFlyDiveJeep

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

Shawnee, KS 66217, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Peterson
Member #

My two cents on the water discussion: how much water you bring is never enough for extended trips, so we bring enough for a few days and are set up to filter more.

With a bit of creativity, an MSR dromedary can be used as a "dirty" water bag and the spigot can be plumbed with a Sawyer Mini. It's the same idea as the Katadyn base camp filters but cheaper, and the Katadyn goes through filters like mad -- it's a crappy product to be honest. We had one but would only get 15 gallons before needing a new filter, and at 40 bucks a pop, that's pricey.

The Sawyer is good for 100 thousand liters and are only 20 bucks to replace. And they are so small and cheap you can bring a dozen if you really want.

Anyway, dirty water into the Dromedary which gets hooked to the roof rack or a tree. Hose into the Sawyer, and filtered water goes into a 5 gallons scepter can.

Takes about 20 minutes to a half hour to filter 5 gallons which is enough for us for 2 days easy, and that's length of time is perfectly to stretch the legs a bit.

On the bike, I just fill a dromedary with 10 liters and ask nicely at restaurants for a refill, though I have thee Sawyer with me then too.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk
I am so glad to see that someone has done this and it works! I would be storing it into a clean dromedary however. This is the setup that I was going to use to filter water on site. MSR/Sawyer hybrid. MSR does have a system to called the Trailshot for when you are away from camp that I would add. Thank you

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I've got a 10 gallon Front Runner footwell tank coming in tomorrow and have a 12v pump and clear poly tubing to rig up an onboard system. Most anything I put in the Jeep needs to be removable, I refuse to haul around hundreds of lbs of extra gear I don't need haha. So everything needs to be removable for the most part. I may put the pump under the seat hard mount it there since its not very large or heavy. but the tank will need to come out for sure.