First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
*no longer looking*.

Hey OB. I’m trying to get into the roof top tent game. So I’m looking for my first tent. It seems this is hard to find but my budget is under $1000. I’m located in southern New York but will drive a good ways for the right tent.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

There are usually a lot on Overland Buy Sell or Trade page.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I seem to not be able to find any. They are all either on the west coast or like 3 grand

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Keep looking. I bought mine used, and while not under 1000, it was close to it; about half the price of new and had only been used on one father-son trip. The guy I bought it from, in NC, helped me swap it to my trailer and install it and gave me extra parts.

It was part of a multi-week gear gathering trip that started out as "I should be back in a couple weeks..." and ended up being seventeen weeks gone, I was having such a blast with my new and used gear.

Keep checking here, on ExPo (probably the busiest sales forum), AA, IH8mud, Tacomaworld, etc just every classified you can find. Sometimes, too, doing craigslist searches in cities you're willing to drive to will yield good results. Just straight google searches work, too. Here's one in Portland OR for $899 I just found with a simple google search for "roof top tent for sale used" -

It will end up being a matter of timing; finding just the right one at just the right time and making the deal.

I'd figure out which kind you want, first, though. After a ton of research and checking end user reviews, I decided I did not want a soft fold out tent, but wanted a hardshell. I've been happy with my purchase ever since.

It'll happen when it's supposed to.

basecamp-roaddude-rearview_8019-900.jpg

Good luck with the search!

I'll keep an eye out for you, too, though if you find something, let us know here so whoever might be helping you look doesn't keep looking :sunglasses:.

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Are you handy?

A growing number of guys have built one. Here's a guy who first built a pop up hardshell that looks and works well, then built a wedge style, too.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Depending on the type of RTT you are looking for REI is doing their 20% off for Members right now. Last year I got mine with that Membership discount and REI dividend.

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I’ll keep on search. Iv been looking on every classified section I can find. Here, tacomaworld, Facebook, Craigslist, google.

I am handy. That video link isn’t working. I’ll have to search it and do some research

I am an rei member. I’ll have to look there too

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I’ll keep on search. Iv been looking on every classified section I can find. Here, tacomaworld, Facebook, Craigslist, google.

I am handy. That video link isn’t working. I’ll have to search it and do some research

Might be your browser settings blocking the vid. It's coming up fine for me on different devices, whether logged into OB or not.

The guy's name is Patrick Remington. His channel.

Good luck with your search!

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS

Might be your browser settings blocking the vid. It's coming up fine for me on different devices, whether logged into OB or not.

The guy's name is Patrick Remington. His channel.

Good luck with your search!

I’ll get it goin. Thanks for the reply

Reactions: Road

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
Thought I’d update the thread. I ended up getting a good deal on a second gen smittybilt roof top tent. Thanks for everyone’s help