Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Thought yall said camping or boondocking at Walmart isn't allowed anymore. I call b.s. still got rvs camping at the one in Greenville tonight and I bet there will be atleast one rv if not a couple of semis at the commerce one tomorrow when I go to that one
20210123_193257.jpg

Pixelsaurus

Rank V

Advocate III

Maryland, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Butcher
Member #

I have stayed in a couple of Walmart parking lots on cross country trips. Not all of them allow it and the trend is less or letting people stay.

They don’t have great scenery but the camp store is super full stocked.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

All the ones in my area have banned camping. Either through local ordinance or manager decision.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

I can see warm weather states and high tourism areas as not allowing overnight stays, to keep the "riff raff" out and moving on. ;)
I was thinking more along the line that the “nicer” areas and one trying to keep a certain “image” would more likely ban them.
Typical of our superficial culture that sees more in image than actual substance.

Reactions: Correus

Correus

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

I was thinking more along the line that the “nicer” areas and one trying to keep a certain “image” would more likely ban them.
Typical of our superficial culture that sees more in image than actual substance.
Yeah... around here the 'riff raff' must have money; the campers they have cost more than a lot of the homes.

PNWtrekker

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
S.
Member #

I would think like a lot of places, by the time your asked to leave, you're about ready for your morning cup anyway. Which, suprise, suprise, the Walmarts around here usually have a McDonalds. Sorry Mr. Manager, I was just waiting for McDs to open. I'll be gone as soon as I grab that $1 large. A Walmart is usually just an emergency overnight stop since you cannot find something better. And I suspect, like most night shifts around the world, their give a **** meter will be pegged long before they see you in the parking lot and they won't bother with you until morning. Just be polite and apologetic if you are asked to leave. Chances are, if your polite, they'll tell you its ok "just this once."

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

If I have to use a Walmart parking lot, I usually call ahead and speak to the manager and ask if he/she allows overnight parking/camping. Sam Walton was an avid RV’er and he never minded people using his parking area to overnight.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

It is certainly easier with a low profile. I have slept in WM parking lots in my 4Runner and Rav4 with no issues, but that was just folding down the seats and sleeping in the back. I think if you crank open slide-outs or unfurl a RTT, you might raise some eyebrows.

Reactions: WilhelmB