Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

16308085569631060445639765704707.jpg

Jeep died, I don't know how it happened or what this even means. Called my uncle and he says it's fucked and likely they will replace it.
Does that mean I lose all my aftermarket parts?

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

My guess is you have a short somewhere. That’s a common one for FCA Jeeps with a lot of aftermarket electronics/lights added. If you have something that’s not grounded well, it can throw your ignition. If you can‘t find the cause, it may mean a new TIPM but I seriously doubt the entire Jeep will be a loss.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

My guess is you have a short somewhere. That’s a common one for FCA Jeeps with a lot of aftermarket electronics/lights added. If you have something that’s not grounded well, it can throw your ignition. If you can‘t find the cause, it may mean a new TIPM but I seriously doubt the entire Jeep will be a loss.
What's tipm?

I just have pod lights, but everything is secure.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

What's tipm?
It’s the box that routes power in you Jeep. I doubt that it’s bad though. More likely a short happened and the onboard computer didn’t like something it saw. If you are handy with a multimeter you can probably track it down yourself. First thing I would do is unhook the battery for a full hour (no cheating, a full hour). Then hook it back up and see if that resets the ignition. If not, time to start chasing gremlins with the multimeter.

Reactions: cdavis90 and 9Mike2

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

It’s the box that routes power in you Jeep. I doubt that it’s bad though. More likely a short happened and the onboard computer didn’t like something it saw. If you are handy with a multimeter you can probably track it down yourself. First thing I would do is unhook the battery for a full hour (no cheating, a full hour). Then hook it back up and see if that resets the ignition. If not, time to start chasing gremlins with the multimeter.
Tried that, we've been stranded for 3 hours.

Nothing turns off either

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Check fuel pressure. Theres a VERY good chance it's the fuel pump, especially if anyone tried to jump start it.

JW is not wrong. This seems to indicate a bad TIPM or a short. If it wasnt starting, and you tried to jump it, it could throw this code because of the attempted jump, all the while being a fuel pump. So check that pressure first

Reactions: DevilDodge

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

You're going to have to better describe what it does and/or doesn't do.

I understand it doesn't start, does it turn over? fast, slow, normal?
What is the battery voltage(s)?
What was it's condition when it died? idle, driving down the road, trail, high angle,water, etc.
You're positive it has fuel? Positive?
Is the bottom of the fuel tank damaged causing a false reading or prohibiting fuel pick up? Is anything hanging under the vehicle, hose, etc.?
There is a set of high amp fuses in the TIPM that is closest to the engine. If someone tells you you need a new TIPM check these first.
Just disconnecting the positive and negative battery cable does not power down a JL/JT. There is a ground lug on the passenger side fender liner located between the Battery and TIPM , this has to be disconnected to power the system down completely (and despite it being a ground it will spark when you reconnect it)
Using your thumb push all fuses home in the TIPM, make sure they are all seated fully (not a single fuse was fully seated in my new Power Wagon).

Probably late to the game, but good luck

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

The engine turns but doesn't start.
Battery is full, 12.9
Scan says ignition run/start circuit high

Patman

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Hollister, Ca
First Name
Patrik
Last Name
Hultin
Member #

If the code is B2102 there is lots of info on every jeep forum. Most common issue seems to be bad fuel pump. Even though the code is not technically for that. Check the fuel pressure at the rail. Could even use a little starting fluid and see if it kicks over to confirm the old school way. No death nails. Everything is an easy fix.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Reactions: DevilDodge

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

The thought was there may have been a fuel pump issue but if that wasn't recognized, and it was jump started thinking it was the battery, that may have sent the code.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Jeep’s have a problem with the Knock Sensor going out. Your description sounds just like a faulty knock sensor, or camshaft position sensor (also very common on Jeep’s). Unfortunately both require replacement of the sensors…and both are a PITA to reach.

My suggestion is to sound out an S.O.S on here and your local Facebook pages to get help either towed out, or repaired on the trail.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Jeep’s have a problem with the Knock Sensor going out. Your description sounds just like a faulty knock sensor, or camshaft position sensor (also very common on Jeep’s). Unfortunately both require replacement of the sensors…and both are a PITA to reach.

My suggestion is to sound out an S.O.S on here and your local Facebook pages to get help either towed out, or repaired on the trail.
I got it towed home.
16308085569631060445639765704707.jpg
Just don't know what this means. Tried clearing it, but nothing happens.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Glad you got it back home at least.

? I dont imagine it will clear if the issue is not resolved or if your scanner has a fault?

But as to what it means, now that you are back home, when you get a moment of free time, take a look at the thread with some fresh eyes. We found the official and several practical possibilities for you to look into

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I got it towed home.
View attachment 209002
Just don't know what this means. Tried clearing it, but nothing happens.
This is a hard fault code ant won’t clear… check out the thread below for more details on the code and how to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

Reactions: Outdoordog