Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Just to thought some more oil on the fire, below are the top 10 ways that ChatGPT-4 may enhance overlanding, according to ChatGPT:

ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for overlanding enthusiasts, offering a range of services and information that can enhance the experience. Here are the top 10 ways ChatGPT can assist you with overlanding:

1. Trip Planning: ChatGPT can help plan routes, suggest destinations, and offer advice on local attractions, weather conditions, and road types, ensuring a smoother journey.

2. Equipment Advice: Get recommendations on essential gear, vehicle modifications, and camping equipment tailored to specific environments or types of overlanding trips.

3. Emergency Information: Access important information such as local emergency contacts, first aid tips, and advice on handling unexpected situations in remote areas.

4. Language Assistance: Use ChatGPT as a translation tool to communicate with locals or understand signs and instructions in different languages, enhancing interactions and navigation in foreign countries.

5. Cultural Guidance: Learn about local customs, cultural etiquette, and regulations to ensure respectful and safe interactions in new regions.

6. Educational Content: Gain insights into the geography, wildlife, and history of the areas you’re exploring to enrich your travel experience.

7. Cooking and Nutrition Tips: Receive recipes and advice on cooking while on the road, including how to prepare meals with limited resources.

8. Vehicle Maintenance Tips: Get guidance on maintaining and troubleshooting common vehicle issues, which is crucial in remote areas where professional help may not be readily available.

9. Weather Updates and Alerts: Stay updated on weather conditions and receive alerts about changes that could affect your travel plans.

10. Entertainment and Leisure: ChatGPT can also provide storytelling, games, and engaging conversations to keep spirits high during long stretches of travel.

What do you think?
Chat GPT is not so great for trip planning. The training data is very diverse and as a result, does not get updated frequently. So that campsite that may have been there in 2021, might not be now.

Reactions: Dimitri_Raptis

Dimitri_Raptis

Rank IX
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic I

Riyadh, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
First Name
Dimitri
Last Name
Raptis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Just to thought some more oil on the fire, below are the top 10 ways that ChatGPT-4 may enhance overlanding, according to ChatGPT:

ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for overlanding enthusiasts, offering a range of services and information that can enhance the experience. Here are the top 10 ways ChatGPT can assist you with overlanding:

1. Trip Planning: ChatGPT can help plan routes, suggest destinations, and offer advice on local attractions, weather conditions, and road types, ensuring a smoother journey.

2. Equipment Advice: Get recommendations on essential gear, vehicle modifications, and camping equipment tailored to specific environments or types of overlanding trips.

3. Emergency Information: Access important information such as local emergency contacts, first aid tips, and advice on handling unexpected situations in remote areas.

4. Language Assistance: Use ChatGPT as a translation tool to communicate with locals or understand signs and instructions in different languages, enhancing interactions and navigation in foreign countries.

5. Cultural Guidance: Learn about local customs, cultural etiquette, and regulations to ensure respectful and safe interactions in new regions.

6. Educational Content: Gain insights into the geography, wildlife, and history of the areas you’re exploring to enrich your travel experience.

7. Cooking and Nutrition Tips: Receive recipes and advice on cooking while on the road, including how to prepare meals with limited resources.

8. Vehicle Maintenance Tips: Get guidance on maintaining and troubleshooting common vehicle issues, which is crucial in remote areas where professional help may not be readily available.

9. Weather Updates and Alerts: Stay updated on weather conditions and receive alerts about changes that could affect your travel plans.

10. Entertainment and Leisure: ChatGPT can also provide storytelling, games, and engaging conversations to keep spirits high during long stretches of travel.

What do you think?
Chat GPT is not so great for trip planning. The training data is very diverse and as a result, does not get updated frequently. So that campsite that may have been there in 2021, might not be now.
You are right. Gemini is better for such purposes and prepares google map directions as well.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

So, can you ask AI something like “find the forest service road within a 50-mile radius that reaches the highest elevation?” What about asking it to find a cross-country route via national forests that allow dispersed camping? These cannot be done easily with Google Maps or printed maps. If it can answer questions like that, then I could see it being quite useful for finding cooler camping spots or other interesting places.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
My son in law and I played with AI and used it to tell a short story of our trip to Tuk last summer. Blech. It read like something out of a Hallmark Card Movie. Blech- I can’t imagine how AI might slaughter technical data and information.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
So, can you ask AI something like “find the forest service road within a 50-mile radius that reaches the highest elevation?” What about asking it to find a cross-country route via national forests that allow dispersed camping? These cannot be done easily with Google Maps or printed maps. If it can answer questions like that, then I could see it being quite useful for finding cooler camping spots or other interesting places.
For us, that would remove the magic of finding a great place as knowing every little nook and cranny before you got there would ruin the discovery of the unknown. Exploring would become passé.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

For us, that would remove the magic of finding a great place as knowing every little nook and cranny before you got there would ruin the discovery of the unknown. Exploring would become passé.
Yeah, I use maps to ruin some of the magic too. The issue with just meandering around aimlessly is that when it comes time to camp, you may not even be on public property. I don’t see how using AI ruins anything. I could potentially ask AI to search for things, find neat camp locations, and provide awesome routes that one could never find using Google Maps or a printed map. I like to plan my routes in Gaia so that I can enjoy the trip without worrying about where I’ll end up. Plus, I can ask it to find a camp spot to avoid all the folks that use “passé” in their online forum posts.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Yeah, I use maps to ruin some of the magic too. The issue with just meandering around aimlessly is that when it comes time to camp, you may not even be on public property. I don’t see how using AI ruins anything. I could potentially ask AI to search for things, find neat camp locations, and provide awesome routes that one could never find using Google Maps or a printed map. I like to plan my routes in Gaia so that I can enjoy the trip without worrying about where I’ll end up. Plus, I can ask it to find a camp spot to avoid all the folks that use “passé” in their online forum posts.
That’s an hilarious response! I’m sure all the travel aids come in very handy for those with time lines. There’s a famous line from an old science fiction movie, “Time? There is no time in space “ Cmon, passé is a cool word is it not? Then again, I do prefer single malts over straight up whiskey, rye or bourbon. And hold the light beer too, what’s the sense in that? For dessert, a nice frozen shot of limoncello, or a glass of dry red wine. Opinions are like our rears, everybody has one. To each their own. Hmmm, a tenderloin steak, 2” thick, rare, broccoli, a dark lager, and a shot of Cardhu to finish it all off! Peace out!

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

That’s an hilarious response! I’m sure all the travel aids come in very handy for those with time lines. There’s a famous line from an old science fiction movie, “Time? There is no time in space “ Cmon, passé is a cool word is it not? Then again, I do prefer single malts over straight up whiskey, rye or bourbon. And hold the light beer too, what’s the sense in that? For dessert, a nice frozen shot of limoncello, or a glass of dry red wine. Opinions are like our rears, everybody has one. To each their own. Hmmm, a tenderloin steak, 2” thick, rare, broccoli, a dark lager, and a shot of Cardhu to finish it all off! Peace out!
For those of us that aren’t gypsies, planning for weekend trips with advanced tools could be useful.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Exploring is travel in or through (an unfamiliar country or area) in order to learn about or familiarize oneself with it.
This is why I love to survey. It's adventure and a learning experience.
For me AI follows the same direction as the onboard air compressor that enflates the tires five minutes faster than the other. What's wrong with sitting there and enjoying the land you're in.
Safey is paramount so if AI helps, that's great.
Finally our motto here which is on everyone's badge is "Outfit and Explore"
Zim

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
No I don't think it "ruins" anything. It just speeds up the process of posting on the Gram. LOL
Zim

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Well I don't trust my GPS so AI is right out. The other problem is any decent AI needs an internet connection, so for preplanning it is okish, beyond that it is pretty useless at least where I travel. The best AI's are the ones specifically trained for tasks, because it is not AI really, What we calling AI currently is really, a very effective search engine.