Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I think it depends on where you are. The vast majority of National Parks and National Forests are Mountain Time zone and west. In that case, the America The Beautiful pass makes tons of sense.
If you live on the east coast, it might not be worth it based on your availability to use it.

Being on the west coast, I buy one every year and get a ton of value from it.
I'm in the Nor'east and use it in all the National Forests! !/2 price on camping in the NF is still worth it! I've used it at National wildlife areas along the coast as well. Remember it's not just National Parks! It's all Federal run areas.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

These passes are a great deal if you are out and about. We used it extensively over the last number of years and it has been very cost effective. As others have also mentioned helping the parks is a great side benefit.

Reactions: Sparksalot

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Unlike millions of Americans across this great land I have no problem paying my dues to our National Park System. Our founders thought so much of this land they created these jewels to enjoy. I know my taxes pay for many things but it takes a lot of cash to keep these parks going and I'm all in. We routinely throw a fiver in the box even tho we have the pass. It's a wonderful resource and I'm proud to use it.
Zim
IMG-2167.JPGIMG-2167.JPG

Last edited:

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sadly it was not the "founders" who set aside these jewels. I may be parsing words here but just to clarify: It took until 1872 for the first park to be declared, by Ulysses S. Grant. Another reason I admire him, flaws and all. Even then, it took almost another 20 years for the next US park to be designated. And after that, into the 1900's. By a guy from NYC no less. Maybe it took someone from a metropolis to truly appreciate the gifts of some of these areas AND the fact that they could conceivably go away if not protected.

A little different than the Cape Cod National Seashore being designated. Though it deserves it, most of those early parks were designated by presidents not from those areas. It could be argued that Mr. Kennedy may have been trying to just pull a NIMBY back in '61 by permanently
keeping development from his enjoyment of the view, but at least it had a positive effect

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
If anyone is ever in the Fort Meyers, FL area the Edison and Ford Winter Estates is worth a visit. Besides the engineering and beautiful gardens full of exotic species, there is a neat photo exhibit about Ford organizing a Muir and Roosevelt trip. Much like the old wagon days, several vehicles were outfitted for specific tasks such as a chuck wagon etc. It has been a long time since we have visited so hopefully that exhibit is still there. A little bit of US vehicle dependent exploration history and our National Park System.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We buy the National Park Pass and a Washington State Park pass each year, I don't think we have ever come up short on value, and typically break even less than half way thru the year not counting all the national forest trail heads and parking areas that we can access for free.

OverlandJeep

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Gil
Last Name
Janke
Member #

Service Branch
None
Perhaps, someone else has already mentioned this. I used GAIAGPS to navigate through several National Parks in May. The web/hand-held interfaces have overlays of the maps produced by the Park Services .
GAIAGPS takes a while to learn, but worth it. The USPS maps are extremely detailed. You are able to determine your exact location and use the map to navigate to the next point.

Reactions: Ursa Major