Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Had a great 30 minute conversation with Dave at Turtleback tonight! We are getting very close to the final build sheet.

The biggest hang up is trying to decide on a combination that provides the largest propane tank setup. Since we are going with the nose and side box option, it reduces the 20lb side tank to an 11lb due to the long box reducing the available height. I can increase the overall capacity by getting the "grill tank" option, which adds another small 5lb tank on the passenger side... still not enough in my opinion.
The simplest solution is put a short box on the driver side (same size as the passenger side) to allow the installation of a 20lb tank. I also considered a bracket inside the main storage area to hold a standard 20lb tank and just pull it out when needed. Either way, I lose a bit of storage space.

The whole reason for sticking with a 20lb tank is to allow us to swap tanks at a gas station or grocery store, as opposed to searching for a facility that can fill the oddball size tanks. I'm open to suggestions...

The big box dilemma. (Driver side main tank below)

The passenger side "Grill tank" and short box.

The second item on the agenda is the color. We were originally going to go with a silver that matches the 4Runner but we are thinking a desert tan might be a better color for blending in to the southwest surroundings, as well as a more likely enhance the resale odds (as if we would ever sell it...).

The reason for the change in direction is that the silver metallic powder coat won't be an exact match and if we want metal flake, there's a $200 extra charge for a clear coat they recommend. This is due to excessive chipping they have had with the metal flake and the clear coat fixes this.

Here's another cool color Dave mentioned, it's a greenish/tan:

Better lighting here:

He said he would be glad to put some custom www.LifestyleOverland.com graphics on it for free! So we need to come up with a logo... quick.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

The build sheet is complete. The estimate is received. The deposit will be Arizona bound on Monday...

Here's the build:

Base Trailer
Custom Color (Covert Green)
Tailgate w/Spare Tire Mount & Table
Spare Spindle
Delete Stnd Wheels and Tires
Front and Side Boxes
Single Battery System Upgrade
Modified Sine Wave Inverter
90W Rollable Solar Panel
Solar Panel Extension Cord
Additional Charge Port
Boat Rack
Foxwing 270 Degree Awning
Foxwing Tapered Awning Extension
Stainless Slide-Up Brackets
CVT Mt McKinley RTT w/Stargazer
Grill Tank w/Bracket
10' Extension Hose for Backup Propane Tank
Max Coupler
2" Ball Mount for Max Coupler
Hitch Lock (Plug)
Locking Pin for Hitch
Rotopax Deluxe Mount
Rotopax 4 Gallon Fuel Tank
Stabilizer Jacks
Stealth Custom Series "Stealth 6" Wheels
BFG KO2 275/70R17
Custom "Lifestyle Overland" Graphics

Should be ready mid February!

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

So, did you go with the shorter boxes on each side and have room for the 20# tank?

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@Steve , I just couldn't come up with an idea that got me a 20lb can and maintained good storage space. We opted to go with the two small tanks and just carry a spare 20lb during cold weather or long trips.

Also, they're coming out with an shorter (height), aluminum version in 2016 especially for Subaru size rigs... you should give Dave a call. ;)

Reactions: murps

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Also, they're coming out with an shorter (height), aluminum version in 2016 especially for Subaru size rigs... you should give Dave a call. ;)
@stringtwelve I didn't need to know that...

Actually, before our trip, I looked into picking up a used teardrop to use as a storage vehicle for the outbound trip, and an alternate sleeping place during the wandering portion. Not too much more than a Uhaul rental, and I could sell it afterward. As it ended up, I might have been further ahead due to needing a $700 pair of front axles.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

@dmurph1996 @jordanbrooks I prefer to look at it as a family investment. You can build a trailer on their site to get an idea on the price point. We're getting a decent discount with the Christmas deal, too.

The good news is that they seem to hold their value well, and get snatched up fairly quickly on the used market... you know, if I went crazy and decided to sell. :smilecat:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@stringtwelve Curious if you looked at the Backcountry Box Rocky in your initial search, and if so, your thoughts? I found a "like" from them on Instagram yesterday, and was intrigued by their Roady trailer. I'm not seriously shopping at this point, but like to gather information and opinions.

www.backcountrybox.com

Thanks

NorthStar96

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Your trailer is incredible. I hope you get many years of use out of it. I enjoy all the drone utilization during filming of the video. it provides a provocative perspective of the rig/trailer/campsite/country...

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Those are definitely sweet. Wish I could afford one. At this point, I'm going to have to roll my own. Need to find a frame first.