Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
This shows a quick "no build" kitchen setup on the side of truck, with timing for setup and cooking breakfast in 8 minutes. This is a useful type of Truck camp kitchen if you want to preserve your truck bed for hauling and doing truck-stuff. Here I am showing how easy and fast this no-frills setup can be, but still have great utility.

Used my new 1-day old Carbon Steel Wok, and practiced a little Camp Kitchen work. I made some Cheesy scrambled eggs and coppa ham, with my "Overlanding Kitchen" or Truck Kitchen if you will.

I made a video showing the 1 min cook, plus how a properly seasoned pan can do cheesy eggs and be no-stick wipe clean. I also linked my video in description, on how to season a wok, if anyone wants to see. So, here's a fun quick Overland Breakfast in my side-kitchen setup. Will post the one showing camp kitchen setup too, overlanders may care to see the setup timing. This takes you to the youtube video:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
that is pretty quick. i did a similar thing using a rear hitch swing away platform that i can put the ice chest and water jugs on and then swing off to the side and drop the tailgate and work off of that. i did build a drawer platform so we could store stuff under and sleep on top, but basically the same idea you have of having something that is quick deploy. your setup time was faster than waiting in line at most fast food drive thrus, so definitely makes it worth it to stop and cook your own meals.

also with you on the carbon steel. i started off using non-stick and it just got all scratched up and teflon peeling off into our food, so i went heavy cast iron until i ran into the carbon steel pans a few years ago...no thats all i use. we do a lot of one-pot meals with the wok, so thats probably my most used cook wear.

if you find you need more storage space, look into a swing away hitch. my cooler and water/fuel cans stay on it full time, so i freed up the back seat for clothes and bulky items that need to stay protected in the cab and the chest is right there for when im cooking. we do some stealth camping from time to time and its nice to be able to quickly break down and stow gear and be mobile in under 3 minutes. personal preference, but i like to be quicker than the fastest police response time...

1720270866857.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave in AZ