Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Just finished giving my rig an oil change and tire rotation, now to start planning the food and packing things up. Looking forward to rolling out on Wed and heading up!

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

Hey ZJ Grizzly! Super interested in coming up from LA.

How tough will the trails be? I've done some basic trails (Cleghorn with no offshoots, Pioneer town -> Big Bear) so some of the more intermediate / advanced trails would intimidate me. I usually just get out solo, but would love to meet some others!

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Hey ZJ Grizzly! Super interested in coming up from LA.

How tough will the trails be? I've done some basic trails (Cleghorn with no offshoots, Pioneer town -> Big Bear) so some of the more intermediate / advanced trails would intimidate me. I usually just get out solo, but would love to meet some others!
What vehicle are you driving? My guess is that you will have no problems on any trails we go on. We can spot you as needed for any parts that you feel are intimidating. I don't think the plan is to go down trails that anybody will be uncomfortable on, main goal is to meet people and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: covello

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

What vehicle are you driving? My guess is that you will have no problems on any trails we go on. We can spot you as needed for any parts that you feel are intimidating. I don't think the plan is to go down trails that anybody will be uncomfortable on, main goal is to meet people and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Meet people and have fun sounds like a great plan!! I drive a 1991 2dr Mercedes G-Wagen. Diesel, manual trans. Raised 2" on 32" Toyo Open Country RTs. It's slow, but it can get over a lot. My only concern is my clutch has been acting a little funny. Hasn't left me stranded, but obviously I want everything rock solid before heading out.

Reactions: brien

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Meet people and have fun sounds like a great plan!! I drive a 1991 2dr Mercedes G-Wagen. Diesel, manual trans. Raised 2" on 32" Toyo Open Country RTs. It's slow, but it can get over a lot. My only concern is my clutch has been acting a little funny. Hasn't left me stranded, but obviously I want everything rock solid before heading out.
You'll definitely be fine as long as your clutch stays functioning! If you can, maybe consider bringing a tow strap as insurance, just in case the clutch goes out. I have two snatch straps in my rig that we can use if needed but they are not the best for towing.

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

You'll definitely be fine as long as your clutch stays functioning! If you can, maybe consider bringing a tow strap as insurance, just in case the clutch goes out. I have two snatch straps in my rig that we can use if needed but they are not the best for towing.
Great!!! I think I'm in! Any specific kind or type of straps?? (I'm new to recovery....) Wouldn't be a bad thing to have in the truck anyways. I think I'll be fine, twice on really long hot drives it started slipping up hills. Once going to Vegas in March, and then once in Sept driving home from Ojai. Pulled over, rested for a bit, and then drove the rest of the trip fine. I drive it around the city all of the time. I think I'll be good, but definitely good to know there's a measure in place for worst case scenario.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
@covello:
Any 2" tow strap should do fine. If there is a harbor freight within driving distance of you (looks like there are a few in LA area) this one is only $12 https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/tow-straps/2-inch-x-20-ft-tow-strap-36612.html While you are there, it's not a bad idea to pick up a snatch/recovery strap as well: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-20-ft-heavy-duty-recovery-strap-67232.html and at least one d-ring shackle: https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-d-ring-shackle-for-suv-63743.html

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

@covello:
Any 2" tow strap should do fine. If there is a harbor freight within driving distance of you (looks like there are a few in LA area) this one is only $12 https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/tow-straps/2-inch-x-20-ft-tow-strap-36612.html While you are there, it's not a bad idea to pick up a snatch/recovery strap as well: https://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-20-ft-heavy-duty-recovery-strap-67232.html and at least one d-ring shackle: https://www.harborfreight.com/34-in-d-ring-shackle-for-suv-63743.html
Rad dude. I'll check out Harbor Freight, there's also a couple off-road shops I've been meaning to check out, so I'll make the rounds and pick these up. Thank you!

Reactions: brien

Brooke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Grounded today. Having a double whammy of an issue, low oil pressure and high temps @ idle.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
High engine temperature is likely caused by the low oil pressure, since oil needs to be able to move around the engine in order to help keep it cool. First thing to try might be to change the oil filter, hopefully the existing one is just gunked up or clogged or something. Any auto parts store should have one for 5-10 bucks, heck, they might even help you swap it out.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
it might even be worth just doing a full oil change if it's been a while since your last one

covello

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Monica, CA
Member #

ahh I'm so bummed, was driving around testing the clutch, and it's slipping pretty reliably now. Probably not the best idea to drive out into the desert, so bummed, was looking forward to my first OB trip!! Next time, now time to try to source a 90s MB clutch ...

BullTru

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Member #

Hmm.. tempted to join you guys w/ my two pups. Wish I could stuff both of them in my backpack to join those of you hiking Angels Landing -- I'd head out tomorrow from the Bay Area. Travel time 11 hrs. Any idea what trails you'll be hitting up Saturday? My rig is still pretty much stock, think it can manage? 2016 4Runner Trail

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I hope everybody made it back home safely! It was fun meeting you all!

Reactions: Brooke