Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Hi Everyone! hope you all have a great week/weekend. Today is my last day of work before going on Christmas break until mid Jan and Im taking this time to start rough planning including transport logistics as I want to bring my truck over to the west coast and take to the road for 3-4 months as a combination of camping and overlanding to R&R in the odd hotel/motel.

I've driven over there a few times for work and holidays however a hire car and never enough time makes me want to plan a solid adventure.
At this stage I am looking at the following:
- Transport my Ranger in a self contained cargo container from SYD to LA (San Diego if I can) and drive:
SD to Phoenix, Albuquerque, Denver, Salt Lake City, Great Falls, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, SF, and back to San Diego (or LA dependant on shipping port).
Not necessarily will I stay in the cities or metro areas however need a starting point to aim at on a map. Ill probably spend a fair time in SD area and Colorado as I love these locations, and there are a few places on my map where I have never been such as Calgary, Great Falls, Albuquerque so I cant wait to see what's in those areas.

Hopefully the US into Canada and back shouldn't complicate the adventure too much with passports or purpose for crossing into and back out with camping gear.

Aiming to ship the car from SYD in July 2023, itll arrive start of AUG and my rough return date to the shipping port would be 12-14 weeks later give or take.

If there are some areas roughly where I am headed which are a must see, please do let me know as there are a lot of locals on this forum and it'd be great to hear some your thoughts. Are these places good to see at this time of year etc, I have a few in mind however too many to list here. A big attraction will be a deviation to both Grand Canyon and Yellowstone NP.

Thanks all :)

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Sounds like a great trip.
Hopefully, you will be able to post lots of detail about your logistical challenges like shipping insurance and covid, so those that follow can learn from your experience.
I also hope you can post lots on your destinations in the US when you go there.
I'm looking at a similar trip, but not until 2024 or 2025.

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
There's plenty to see in Colorado for sure, but Pikes Peak is a really cool short stop you can make. Also Rocky Mountain National Park is supremely beautiful. Utah is full of stuff to see, though a lot of it is desert and I know you've got plenty of that in Australia, so that may not be what you're looking for so much!

Another place I recommend to people (probably a bit too far out of your way, but still good to know about) is Big Bend National Park in West Texas. It's on the Mexican border and is one of the less visited national parks in the country as well a certified Dark Sky park, so the night skies are absolutely stunning on a clear night!

Happy planning!

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

There's plenty to see in Colorado for sure, but Pikes Peak is a really cool short stop you can make. Also Rocky Mountain National Park is supremely beautiful. Utah is full of stuff to see, though a lot of it is desert and I know you've got plenty of that in Australia, so that may not be what you're looking for so much!

Another place I recommend to people (probably a bit too far out of your way, but still good to know about) is Big Bend National Park in West Texas. It's on the Mexican border and is one of the less visited national parks in the country as well a certified Dark Sky park, so the night skies are absolutely stunning on a clear night!

Happy planning!
Thanks mate, I'll be adding Big Bend National Park to my list. I have had a good google and read about the area and looks amazing. I am now looking at allocating more time in CO as there are so many places I would like to experience. Although there is enough desert here is AUS, its not the same and due to the different type of landscape you guys have over there it is definetly worth passing through and taking it all in.

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Sounds like a great trip.
Hopefully, you will be able to post lots of detail about your logistical challenges like shipping insurance and covid, so those that follow can learn from your experience.
I also hope you can post lots on your destinations in the US when you go there.
I'm looking at a similar trip, but not until 2024 or 2025.
Certainly will be posting about it here mate. My intentions is while Im in country, ill be on here to look up the 'meet ups' and see who in the community is around roughly where ill be too. Once Ive got a firmer picture on where and when ill revisit this thread and update it.
Where abouts you looking at going in 24/25?

Reactions: rtexpeditions

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

What a grand adventure!

Here are a few hints:

1) Start by figuring out what you really want to see. There are many incredible places and you’ll need to narrow it down. Yellowstone is cool, but Grand Teton is dramatic. Definitely see the Grand Canyon and October is usually a good time to visit. Rocky Mountain - late September, when the aspen turn golden. South Dakota has wonderful historical sites and cool caves; check out the Bighorn Mountains just to the west in Wyoming. Don’t forget Sequoia/Kings Canyon and my favorite, Yosemite. And Utah! Five amazing parks! There are SO many lesser known but cool sights in between, too.

2) Consider the climate and visit the mountains/higher elevations earlier. By mid-October, many places may have snow and roads/passes begin the close.

3) Boondocking is great, but it doesn’t always get you close to the action. Desirable campsites in the more popular parks (such as Yellowstone) go FAST. Do your homework to determine who runs the campgrounds and when reservations open - could be 13 months, 6 months or less. Have alternatives if your first choice isn’t available.

4) The rules will continue to change, but many parks (such as Rocky Mountain) now require a day use pass to enter the park. These are limited in number and is in addition to your regular entrance fee. If you plan to visit more than a few U.S. national parks, buy the annual admission pass. You can purchase it as you enter the first park.

I’d be happy to provide more specific information once you decide on your destinations.

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Certainly will be posting about it here mate. My intentions is while Im in country, ill be on here to look up the 'meet ups' and see who in the community is around roughly where ill be too. Once Ive got a firmer picture on where and when ill revisit this thread and update it.
Where abouts you looking at going in 24/25?
In the US, I'd like to go to quite a few of the National Parks, and Monuments, lots of which have been mentioned in this thread although I don't think I'll have too much time in the East.
I intend to spend a fair amount of time in Canada and Tuktoyuktuk is high on the list of places to go. I'd also like to spend some time in Mexico and Belize.

bamakojon

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hueytown, AL, USA
First Name
Jonny
Last Name
Cochrane
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DGM
Thanks mate, I'll be adding Big Bend National Park to my list. I have had a good google and read about the area and looks amazing. I am now looking at allocating more time in CO as there are so many places I would like to experience. Although there is enough desert here is AUS, its not the same and due to the different type of landscape you guys have over there it is definetly worth passing through and taking it all in.
It's worth a visit for sure. The back country campsites (both backpacking and car-camping) are great and many of them are very isolated. Something to keep in mind with planning a trip to BBNP is to work around the heat, as it gets very hot during the summer months and probably would be much less fun during that time. I personally have always been in early March and it's been quite pleasant.

Also, there is an official border checkpoint in the park that will let you cross over into Mexico into the little town of Boquillas del Carmen where you can get some souvenirs and food (and a stamp in your passport :grinning: ), so that could be a fun activity as a quick google revealed that Mexico does not require tourist visas for Australians. As far as off-roading goes, the River Road is a good 50~ mile run that follows the Rio Grande with a good number of primitive campsites along the way that are little more than a clear flat spot and a bear box and plenty far away from other people. The trails aren't anything technical, though the park officials do require you to have 4wd, but it's a good time through some interesting terrain. The last time I was there, back-country camping permits were a flat rate for a whole week, but I believe they've changed to a per-night basis now. You can find the campsites on this map: Map of Big Bend NP.

Something I just realized is that my profile picture is actually from Big Bend :tearsofjoy: What can I say, I like it there!

DSCN0608.JPG

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Too bad you weren't coming in a couple of months earlier or later. July, August it's a bit too warm here to hit Mojave Road or Death Valley. Lot's of stuff out there to see. If your going into Yosemite and or Sequoia, you need to reserve a hotel, yesterday. Remote camping in that area is limited. Depending on your route, there are a few remote areas to camp and still not be too far from the good stuff.
Cant wait to see your itinerary.

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Too bad you weren't coming in a couple of months earlier or later. July, August it's a bit too warm here to hit Mojave Road or Death Valley. Lot's of stuff out there to see. If your going into Yosemite and or Sequoia, you need to reserve a hotel, yesterday. Remote camping in that area is limited. Depending on your route, there are a few remote areas to camp and still not be too far from the good stuff.
Cant wait to see your itinerary.
Thanks for the tip on bookings being limited. WRT Yosemite and Sequoia, is there much to worry about with the animal population? By this I mean, are they super curious if the camp site is kept clean and tidy and items such as food is put away? I have always put trash in a double garbage bag in the tray of my truck with the roller shutter closed, however for example, on Fraser Island (off the coast of Queensland) dingoes jump up on to the roof of sniff out what they can. They are super quiet and crafty especially when it comes to the less populated camp sites along the beach.

I have been doing a lot of online reading on sites such as NPS to gain an understanding of what's out there in the parks, animals of interest and what to be aware of. Obviously the animals and landscape are completely different there to here however I believe there should be a fundamental understanding of the environment in which one wants to camp/experience/sightsee in before they adventure into it.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Bears and other critters are definitely attracted to food and scented toiletries, so proper storage is important.
The websites for these parks have good info as to the rules for campers. Most are common sense, such as keeping a clean site (no food left out), no food/scented items in your tent, not dumping liquid food waste at your campsite. Many of the parks where these animals are found provide metal cabinets at the campsites in which to store “smelly” items. Some are more hardcore, such as Yosemite, which prohibit keeping any such items in your vehicle overnight in the campground, even if in a hard-sided cooler.
If you boondock, same rules apply. I’d also add not dumping waste, such as dishwater or liquid food waste, in or near your campsite. In bear country, store your campstove in either your vehicle or the provided cabinet.
Store food in coolers or hard plastic boxes where they’re less likely to be accessed by rodents. Mice can wiggle into the smallest places. I was out backpacking a few days and left my Jeep locked up tight at the trailhead. When I returned, I noticed that the tissue box was empty. Found a lovely nest of shredded tissues under the rear bench seat. Dang those mousies!

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
As @ZombieCat said, camp bears can tear a vehicle door open if it sees food wrappers let alone anything else. Anywhere you go, there will be information about how to prepare. I don't worry as much away from the popular camp grounds. The critters know where all the food is. Still, the smaller animals will make a mess out of any trash bags you leave out over night. If you end up in Yellowstone, that's going to be more extreme. I never stayed in the park but if I did, it would be in a hotel.

Reactions: ZombieCat

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Good point, animals know where people regularly camp, even in the backcountry and will visit those locations to scavenge. Yellowstone isn’t bad, I just camped there in August, only saw one bear over in Lamar Valley. Saw quite a few in Glacier, both grizzly and black bears.
The one thing I forgot to mention are the ravens. Those suckers will ravage your campsite! They’re particularly bad in Grand Canyon. Pack everything away at night and when you leave your campsite, including water containers, as they’ll peck right thru the gallon/2.5 gallon plastic containers from the supermarket. Quite a few in the Valley at Yosemite, too.
The camp hosts and rangers are always happy to answer questions and provide guidance.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I'm sure you've run the numbers however I guess you're aware of the fact that shipping rates have gone through the roof? We had a quote to ship from Colombia to the USA which was double the price to ship from Colombia to Australia in 2019. 3-4 months is a bit of a tipping point I guess; we camped in Iceland for 5 weeks in July/August last year and rented - shipping would have been a ridiculous cost. We were in Argentina for 6 weeks at the end of the year and rented there too. Just a thought - if you don't have a current quote I suggest getting one. Having said all that, I hope that shipping rates will have dropped again by 2023.

Reactions: OVRLNDCBR

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Hi Everyone! hope you all have a great week/weekend. Today is my last day of work before going on Christmas break until mid Jan and Im taking this time to start rough planning including transport logistics as I want to bring my truck over to the west coast and take to the road for 3-4 months as a combination of camping and overlanding to R&R in the odd hotel/motel.

I've driven over there a few times for work and holidays however a hire car and never enough time makes me want to plan a solid adventure.
At this stage I am looking at the following:
- Transport my Ranger in a self contained cargo container from SYD to LA (San Diego if I can) and drive:
SD to Phoenix, Albuquerque, Denver, Salt Lake City, Great Falls, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle, SF, and back to San Diego (or LA dependant on shipping port).
Not necessarily will I stay in the cities or metro areas however need a starting point to aim at on a map. Ill probably spend a fair time in SD area and Colorado as I love these locations, and there are a few places on my map where I have never been such as Calgary, Great Falls, Albuquerque so I cant wait to see what's in those areas.

Hopefully the US into Canada and back shouldn't complicate the adventure too much with passports or purpose for crossing into and back out with camping gear.

Aiming to ship the car from SYD in July 2023, itll arrive start of AUG and my rough return date to the shipping port would be 12-14 weeks later give or take.

If there are some areas roughly where I am headed which are a must see, please do let me know as there are a lot of locals on this forum and it'd be great to hear some your thoughts. Are these places good to see at this time of year etc, I have a few in mind however too many to list here. A big attraction will be a deviation to both Grand Canyon and Yellowstone NP.

Thanks all :)
Back channel me for info on sights to see and routes through Colorado/Utah/Arizona. If I'm home, you are welcome to stop by, have some BBQ, take a shower, and sleep in a comfy bed. Calgary is a nice clean town but the scenery from Jasper to Banff is some of the best in the world.

I am hoping to ship my Jeep and Trailer your way and take several months on a walkabout.

Reactions: OVRLNDCBR

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

I'm sure you've run the numbers however I guess you're aware of the fact that shipping rates have gone through the roof? We had a quote to ship from Colombia to the USA which was double the price to ship from Colombia to Australia in 2019. 3-4 months is a bit of a tipping point I guess; we camped in Iceland for 5 weeks in July/August last year and rented - shipping would have been a ridiculous cost. We were in Argentina for 6 weeks at the end of the year and rented there too. Just a thought - if you don't have a current quote I suggest getting one. Having said all that, I hope that shipping rates will have dropped again by 2023.
Hi mate, couldnt believe the increase in shipping over the last 18+ months. At the current ballpark price it is still within my acceptable $ range however if the world continues like it has been and the next 12 months continue increasing then a reorg on the trip idea and the possible delay of it into 2024/25 may become reality.
How did you find it renting when you went to Iceland and Argentina? Was it difficult to organise?

Cheers

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Back channel me for info on sights to see and routes through Colorado/Utah/Arizona. If I'm home, you are welcome to stop by, have some BBQ, take a shower, and sleep in a comfy bed. Calgary is a nice clean town but the scenery from Jasper to Banff is some of the best in the world.

I am hoping to ship my Jeep and Trailer your way and take several months on a walkabout.
Thanks heaps mate, appreciate the offer and a BBQ w/ shower and a comfy bed sounds perfect. My missus did a road trip with her friend over in Banff /Jasper area, she is dying to get back again (she's been three times lol), in fact I'm pretty sure if I could get a job in that part of the world she would have the bags packed before the ink dried on the contract. Really appreciate the offer and once the plan and route starts to firm up, ill pencil in a swing past - even if its for a cheeky beer :)

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Thanks heaps mate, appreciate the offer and a BBQ w/ shower and a comfy bed sounds perfect. My missus did a road trip with her friend over in Banff /Jasper area, she is dying to get back again (she's been three times lol), in fact I'm pretty sure if I could get a job in that part of the world she would have the bags packed before the ink dried on the contract. Really appreciate the offer and once the plan and route starts to firm up, ill pencil in a swing past - even if its for a cheeky beer :)
What line of work are you in?

OVRLNDCBR

Rank V

Advocate I

Canberra ACT, Australia
First Name
Jarrad
Last Name
Horne
Member #

Ex-Defence (Army) and have moved into ICT Security / Information Assurance (IA). Been doing IA for ~12 years covering both Federal Government Departments (30%) and across different areas within Defence (70%).