Tray Mountain trail, Ga

• HTML tutorial

Lone-Wolfin'

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Atlanta
Member #

Did not realize that. Its funny there was a road closed sign far into some camp grounds but plenty of people were up there and on chimney too. Thanks for letting me know I’ll definitely make sure to check that next time. Do you happen to know of any good trails that are open right now?
The road closed sign was up back in March or whenever they first closed it, but I heard people have been stealing/moving the signs. Unfortunate

RedPreRunner4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Covington, Ga
Member #

Yes, Tray Mountain is in the worst shape I have ever seen it when I was on it in March. The spot by the culvert was very interesting to get up even with 4Lo and 33" KM2's. I am hoping the trail "heals" soon it is one of my favorites in the state.

Reactions: Lone-Wolfin'

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

Yesterday, patterson gap and dicks creek roads were posted closed with signs. Trey and chimney roads had no signs posted at either end. The washouts at the culvert have deteriorated since i was there in february but the 4 runner handled it better this trip. Bigger washout but the whole vehicle can get in to maneuver rather than just one side. Less leaning. The tree is still leaning there as well. There was another tree that had fallen across the road that we trimmed and pulled out of the wAy.

RedPreRunner4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Covington, Ga
Member #

I am going to run the whole Georgia Traverse over a 4-5 day weekend hopefully in mid-October so I should pass back through Tray/Chimney as well as take a detour to run Beasley’s Knob. I can come back and comment on the state of the trail. Glad to hear the culvert is much safer. My girlfriend at the time almost broke up with me over that off-camber spot!

RootedWanderers

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pelham, Alabama 35124
First Name
Wayne
Last Name
Sullivan
Member #

Me and a friend took it back from OEE last year and the culvert was the only challenging part, but it wasn't that bad. His 80 series and my Jeep were both on 35s and handled it without an issue. This year we are going to go West to East and take it on our way to OEE.

RedPreRunner4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Covington, Ga
Member #

Me and a friend took it back from OEE last year and the culvert was the only challenging part, but it wasn't that bad. His 80 series and my Jeep were both on 35s and handled it without an issue. This year we are going to go West to East and take it on our way to OEE.
I am planning on going to the expo as well but I live due south of Asheville so and will be on time constraints I wont have time to wander on the way there but I am hoping to find a trail while I am there at the Expo.

Reactions: RootedWanderers

Btiller16

Rank 0

Contributor I

I am going to run the whole Georgia Traverse over a 4-5 day weekend hopefully in mid-October so I should pass back through Tray/Chimney as well as take a detour to run Beasley’s Knob. I can come back and comment on the state of the trail. Glad to hear the culvert is much safer. My girlfriend at the time almost broke up with me over that off-camber spot!
Have you been through Tray/Chimney yet? How's it looking? Still Closed?

RedPreRunner4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor II

Covington, Ga
Member #

Have you been through Tray/Chimney yet? How's it looking? Still Closed?
From what I understand its semi closed. There is houses on the Helen side of the road so its open but they are trying to keep it from being overridden by off roaders. The Unicoi side I think may still have a road closed sign but it hasnt been moved back in weeks.

Jkk

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Georgia
IMG_3925.JPG
As of January 2019 Tray mountain road is open. Can’t remember if it was Indian grave gap or Corbin creek but one of those connecting roads was closed. got an LSD 4x2 Tacoma down w/ lots of track building and traction boards