Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I certainly understand but for this conversation we know the politics but still can discus our methods.
But its bound to come up when one person likes guns and another person dont, like on this thread. Rights vs opinions, i agree we shouldnt have to talk about it on here or anywhere for that matter i hate politics. Whats wrong is someone states their methods then someone else comes by and says they are wrong then the rebuttle is politics. No matter what we do self defence is an political issue now thanks to both sides unability to understand the shall not be infringed part of that document that some folks just ignore. If the talking heads of both partys would just shut up about it there would be nothing political about it. Now Lets really heat things up and talk religion

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

How about if we started talking about how public access to the outdoors is being hampered by so and so, would we only be allowed to talk about the trashy people that tear things up? Or can we talk about the political aspects that actually implement the shutdowns?

DrivingTacoLoco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Weiss
Member #

But its bound to come up when one person likes guns and another person dont
But its bound to come up when one person likes RTT's and another person dont.
But its bound to come up when one person likes anything and another person dont. If you want to argue about the politics, Move on. Just don't.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Politics and guns are existentially tied. You can't talk about the use of guns as trail security without politics entering the discussion because politics are the limiting factor in some areas as to whether you can or cannot utilize them. Canada, Mexico and states that want to be like Canada and Mexico for example.

That said, I enjoy myself here and as a matter of consequence will no longer discuss such things.

I will however familiarize myself with the block user button.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
How about if we started talking about how public access to the outdoors is being hampered by so and so, would we only be allowed to talk about the trashy people that tear things up? Or can we talk about the political aspects that actually implement the shutdowns?
There’s actually a thread on that subject somewhere. Del Albright and I had a nice discussion about it. There was no name calling and no belittling of either. Del invited me for lunch/coffee if I’m ever in the neighborhood and my welcome mat is out for him if he ever ventures to Pennsylvania.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

There’s actually a thread on that subject somewhere. Del Albright and I had a nice discussion about it. There was no name calling and no belittling of either. Del invited me for lunch/coffee if I’m ever in the neighborhood and my welcome mat is out for him if he ever ventures to Pennsylvania.
Yeah there are a few thats why i brought it up and they involve politics because thats what drives all the rules and beurocracy. If it gets into fighting and name calling just walk away otherwise both participants end up looking really bad. If your not fighting its a conversation, something alot of people have forgotten how to do.

McKenzieOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Springfield, Oregon, USA
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Criminals prefer unarmed victims. #truth

...I have chosen bear spray as a go-to for non-lethal alternative/covers many scenarios. Can always take it up a notch from there! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Angel Rivera

RRitchey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sumpter Oregon, USA
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Ritchey
Member #

Interesting subject and figured I will throw in my 2 cents. I for one always carry, my wife carries, kids carry and someday the grand kids will also. As for needing it, not lately, but many years ago I was out hunting in the middle of BFE and ran into a grow operation, I was just on the fringes of it wondering WTF is this crap doing out in the middle of nowhere when a round buzzed past my head so close I could hear and feel it. Needless to say I am still around, the other guy well he didn't fare so well. To this day a 7.62x39 goes off and I get very tense. Another time a person tried to stab me in the woods, doped up on something. Since then I carry at all times. We also have a large dog as early warning and layer of defense. Some people may never need nor want any type of defensive arms around and good for them I hope for their best. Me, I am glad I was armed, otherwise my grand kids would grow up without a Papaw. I have also been charged by a bear, I was looking down the barrel of my .45-70 inching my finger in the trigger guard as she came up short and backed off. I surprised her and her cub as I came up over a small ridge. Almost had to change my pants on that one. A gun is a tool that can be used for good or can be used for bad. Same as a knife, same as a shovel, same as a vehicle. It is not the implement, it is the intent that makes a weapon dangerous.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yeah, I've seen this, the bear spray is for people. If you are in an area where there are grizzlies, then you should be carrying something that would neutralize that level of threat.
Just be mindful that some people are immune to bear-spray and it might escalate the situation further... use your best judgment

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Yeah, I've seen this, the bear spray is for people. If you are in an area where there are grizzlies, then you should be carrying something that would neutralize that level of threat.
Dont for a second think that stuff works on everyone. Stun guns or tazers neither especially if someone jacked up on meth or pcp.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

The twists and turns this thread has taken!!

I am 100% against political conversations on the internet, in general I do not discuss 'em period, but I do believe we can still discuss guns w/o the need to discuss the political views and we can certainly do so w/o the cheap insults or veiled threats...are we not supposed to be a community?

With that said, I am thinking of going for a licence this year, I miss target shooting and would not mind the extra piece of mind a gun could provide if we're out on the trails/wilderness

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Here is some fat to chew on. Laws are different in most states on a firearm in a rv since your living in it its considered a domicile. It would be interesting to find a lawyer to ask about this since were technically living out of our vehicles at times, if you use a trailer for overlanding the rv law may apply if it is kept in there. Not saying it legal or not i dont know just something to think and ask about.
I do know for a fact you can carry in tx without any liscense, handguns have to be out of sight ie not on your hip or in your lap. under seat, center console or glovebox will do, rifles can be carried just about any way you want fully loaded as long as your not committing a crime.

McKenzieOverland

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Springfield, Oregon, USA
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Here is some fat to chew on. Laws are different in most states on a firearm in a rv since your living in it its considered a domicile. It would be interesting to find a lawyer to ask about this since were technically living out of our vehicles at times, if you use a trailer for overlanding the rv law may apply if it is kept in there. Not saying it legal or not i dont know just something to think and ask about.
Yep. I just waded through 14 pages of posts about guns and wanted to offer the OP the perspective of "gentle persuasion" to deescalate a situation (having boondocked 23k miles in the last 2 years in Oregon, California and Nevada).
Once you decide to take the "lethal firepower is the only solution" position, it is much harder to travel through some states legally.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

For a trailer to be legally considered a domicile State Residency needs to be established, not sure a OL trailer would qualify

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

For a trailer to be legally considered a domicile State Residency needs to be established, not sure a OL trailer would qualify
I just read up on it and thats not the case. If your rv is hooked up to sewer,water or electricity your no longer a vehicle its a domicile , if it moving its a vehicle and subject to any state law. Federal law dont restrict you other than its got to be locked up its called peacable journey law . So if your state has stand your ground laws or castle doctrine it would be perfectly legal if not dont risk it unless youve got a license in that state. Laws vary from state to state just be sure your doing it right.