Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
X-Bulls. You can find them for around $75/pair (sometimes cheaper). I've got two pair, and have used them a couple times. I'm pleased with them.X-bull.3.jpg

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I was gonna get a set but I don't know where I'd store them. My truck is normally full of gear for camping. I hope I'll always just have someone to pull me out when I need it

Attachments

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I haven't tried the "new" plastic traction boards but I do have some traction aides I've been using for the last 45 years or so. I have some heavy carpet scraps about 2'X4' that have worked fine and are inexpensive or free most of the time, just roll them up and stash them somewhere in the rig and off you go.

I am however looking forward to trying someones new style traction boards to see how well they work and how I like them.

Reactions: Mathes

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I stick with Maxtrax. They're proven time and time again and they are more than just plastic. When out alone and I need them I'll never drive along asking why I spent $300 on a set of boards. However, if I go cheap and they don't work, I'll def. ask myself why I didn't.

Mathes

Local Expert Massachusetts, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Norton, Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

I was gonna get a set but I don't know where I'd store them. My truck is normally full of gear for camping. I hope I'll always just have someone to pull me out when I need it
You could make a bracket that would fit them under the RTT maybe?
Might have to look into that. Just bolt something in on the bottom or something... Might be worth it

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
If I were going on a major overlanding trip (say... a year in Africa, or down through South America) I'd definitely get the MaxTrax. I think of them as the gold-standard for traction boards. But since I'm more of a weekend-warrior, married & with a daughter still in college, I went with the X-Bulls (which I would consider "almost as good, and will do the job just-as-well as MaxTrax"). MaxTrax are about $320/pair on Amazon for a pair; X-Bulls are about $75/pair. There are lots of reviews and videos regarding traction boards. In my opinion, I think of the X-Bulls (10-ton second and third generation) as the best "cheaper" alternative to the Maxtrax. Again, my opinion only.

How to mount them? I used 1/4" bolts with vacuum caps over the exposed threads to mount mine. There are holes at the ends of the X-Bulls (I'm sure there are holes in all of the different ones out there) that the board go over. The X-Bulls (and I'm sure the MaxTrax too) nest on each other, so I just need the bolts to capture the first one, and then I put the second one on top, and strap them down. The pictures should explain it better.

The pictures (except the last one) show them being mounted on the lid of my trailer under my RTT. The last one is on my TJ's roof rack, which uses the same concept.

Another option is to use longer 1/4" bolts that are tall enough to clear both mats, and then use a knob (that is threaded all the way through) to tighten them down (knobs easily found at a hardware store).X-bull.8.jpgX-bull.7.jpgX-bull.6.jpgX-bull.4.jpgX-bull.5.jpgShovel.2.jpg

Last edited:

MattLew

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member II

Harriman, TN, Tennessee 61, Harriman, TN, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Lewandowski
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG4DIE
perhaps it is because I have been a land rover fan since the 90s, but I am partial to bridging ladder tracks and roll up traction mats. the bridging tracks are a lot heavier than maxtrax, but if they are well built, they will do things that no plastic board can dream of. this is not to be confused with the metal sand trax that where so popular in the land rover overland community... those where often surplus modular runways dating back as far as WW2 or imitations there of.

Currently my favorite design is from Crux... they are pricy, but strong,

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
What shovel mount is that?
Quick Fists mounted to some metal bracket thingies. I bought the metal brackets at either Lowe's or Home Depot (find the isle with the fence hinges and "L" brackets and such - they're over there). I needed something to raise the Quick Fists so the shovel head would clear (it has a steep angle to it), and those metal brackets fit the bill.

Quick Fists:

They sell Quick Fists at all sorts of places though. I'm sure Amazon sells them too.

I also used Quick Fists to mount a shovel on the front of my trailer, and on the back to mount an axe.
Overland Adventure.1 (2).jpgOverland Adventure.2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BCMoto