Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Not tire carrier, but maybe some food for thought. Custom board mounts secured to rack crossbars. Board mounts are made from stainless all-thread welded to plates. Knobs tightened down on boards to secure them. All-threads long enough for stack of up to 4 boards. Then a simple padlock at top of all-threads to keep honest people honest, not a serious theft deterrent for true misfits. one mount at each end of boards, and 1 knob on each mount even though pic shows both on one single mount. Overall much cheaper than purchased options, though slower to remove boards as have to unscrew knobs.
9C4C9DCF-E4E6-40E1-8641-84059ED60C0A.jpeg

Last edited:

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
Not tire carrier, but maybe some food for thought. Custom board mounts secured to rack crossbars. Board mounts are made from stainless all-thread welded to plates. Knobs tightened down on boards to secure them. All-threads long enough for stack of up to 4 boards. Then a simple padlock at top of all-threads to keep honest people honest, not a serious theft deterrent for true misfits. one mount at each end of boards, and 1 knob on each mount even though pic shows both on one single mount. Overall much cheaper than purchased options, though slower to remove boards as have to unscrew knobs.
View attachment 219361
I did something similar, with 1/4-20 threaded rod through my roof rack cross bars and plastic knobs from the local Ace Hardware to secure the boards down. I used a spare gun cable lock threaded through the four boards for modest security.

Reactions: Desert Runner

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
View attachment 219361
nice. What size bolts?

I need to make some for my half bed rack.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Santa Wife was great to me this year...can you say traction boards ;) Now the question is how to mount them? What have you done on your rigs...More specifically Jeep Wranglers or mounts on the spair tire/tailgate area. TIA
Went I didn't have a rack, I re-used some old yakima ski rack mounts with stock crossbars.
IMG_1821 Large.jpeg
IMG_1830 Large.jpeg
IMG_1833 Large.jpeg

If you want to mount them to the spare tire, you can buy some specific mounts or may try with 1 or 2 ratchet straps!

Matoolie

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Virginia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Allen
Member #

nice. What size bolts?

I need to make some for my half bed rack.
1/2”-13 as that is largest would easily fit through holes in my particular boards. I wanted to use largest bolt I could for sturdiness. And length will vary depending on your boards and number of them.

Reactions: NMBruce

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
1/2”-13 as that is largest would easily fit through holes in my particular boards. I wanted to use largest bolt I could for sturdiness. And length will vary depending on your boards and number of them.
Thanks, I two different types of boards (2each), one set came with buying my Ironman suspension, so I will only mount 2 on the side until I can get 2 more of the same. But I also hope I will also use this for mounting my axe, shovel on the other side.

Attachments

Reactions: Matoolie

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
My solution is a lot like the others. A couple of long bolts that fit the channels of my racks, and a couple of large plastic knobs. I did try wing nuts at first, then discovered what a pain they were to twist off in the snow when your fingers are cold, and an even bigger pain to look for when they fell into the snow. All in all about $10.

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I mounted mine on the side and they fold down for tables;

Attachments

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Those are some great ideas...and good looking rigs. I may use some if the ideas and make my own rack. The issue I am having is a total lack of a roof rack, and swingout tire carrier to mount to. Currently mine are setting in the cargo area with the seats folded down.

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I have a pair of gen 1 Treds and I have the Tred mounting plate, but I don’t like it, while it holds the boards fine and can take a small padlock, the knobs that screw on have super fine threads and are hard to operate. Also they require regular anti seize or they will be stuck.
There is also the issue of not losing the knobs in whatever I’m stuck in necessitating use of them!
I have a trip planned in February which I’m bringing 2 paddle boards, so roof space is at a premium so I’m going to strap them to my roof box (Pelican copy) with 2 Rok straps.
I have thought about making a mount to hold them vertically but I haven’t come up with a system to attach them without the stupid knobs
maybe just the studs to locate and support them and the straps to keep them there?
Hmmmm

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE

I may do something like this only vertically to save space.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I got a buddy of mine who owns a steel supply and structural fabrication business to get one of his guys to punch some holes in some flat steel for me. I painted it and ran some threaded rods through it with nuts, and it works PERFECT! You could easily do this with aluminum easily purchased from Home Depot or Lowes. Same for the threaded rod and nuts. :D
2021-01-04 15.01.00.jpg
2021-01-04 15.20.20-1.jpg
2021-01-04 15.21.59.jpg
2021-01-04 15.29.24.jpg
2021-01-04 15.34.45.jpg

Reactions: NMBruce

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
Same as a few others, I used 3/8" x 6" carriage bolts, nuts, washers, and plastics wing nuts. Holds great!

Traction Board Mounts.jpg
Traction Boards Mounted.jpg

Dcwn.45

Rank IV

Member I

Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Nyman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0GNE
I have mine roof mounted on my 4Runner, and the thing I’m struggling with is what to do with the knobs when I need the boards, I don’t want to drop them in the mud or snow.
I want quick access without small parts to keep track of.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

Well I dug through my metal scrap bin. Found a old bed frame, and chunk of angle iron. Ran to the home supply store and bought some All-Thread a couple of wing nuts catch pins and a ratchet strap. All in $20.00 (actually $35 because the ratchet strap was a 2 pack at $25...but since I only used 1 I am claiming 12.50) All in all I am pretty happy. Will be posting a video in a couple of weeks on my YouTube Channel "ScottOffRoad"

Attachments

Reactions: 64Trvlr and Shahn