Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Not sure what their play is here. It looks too fragile to carry the Land Cruiser name.

They never offered the Prado here in the past because it was the Lexus GX and it would have cannibalized the 4Runner.

Now they drop the flagship Land Cruiser from the North American lineup and give us the Prado as a watered down, 4 cylinder version of the GX550, which has the twin turbo 6 and third row seating.

I can only assume they’re going to kill the 4Runner at this point.

Reactions: Renegade

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
im a fairly big toyota fan and currently drive a tundra....HOWEVER...i will always be reminded that toyota also made the fj cruiser...

...just sayin'...

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
With the new Prado, I see at first glance a promising off-road rig which offers good off-road characteristics, overlanding qualities and a high level of comfort and safety.

Currently, there is a lot of movement in the 4x4 market and the new Prado 250 expands the spectrum once again. I see this as a good development and it's a exciting time with all these new rigs. Of course, these rigs are no longer as massive as they were in the 80s or 90s. These new rigs do no longer have the so often mentioned simple technology, which is often glorified at bonfires and in forums. But for a variety of reasons, manufacturers just can't build cars like they did decades ago aynmore. It's as simple as that.

And from my point of view there are really good concepts around, such as the new Prado 250 now. And all who don't like these modern developments just can restore an old off-road vehicle or maintain what they have. For everyone else, the market has a lot to offer, like new Bronco, New Defender, Ineos Grenadier, the new Prado and more. That´s great.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the new Prado live. Unfortunately, it will take a bit. But already for autumn this year, it is announced that a pre-series model will be on display at the legendary Buschtaxi meeting in Germany.

Reactions: Dougnuts

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Not sure what their play is here. It looks too fragile to carry the Land Cruiser name.

They never offered the Prado here in the past because it was the Lexus GX and it would have cannibalized the 4Runner.

Now they drop the flagship Land Cruiser from the North American lineup and give us the Prado as a watered down, 4 cylinder version of the GX550, which has the twin turbo 6 and third row seating.

I can only assume they’re going to kill the 4Runner at this point.
That's kind of what happened in Australia, although they have brought in the 'Thai'ota Fortuner into that niche as the Prados are overpriced.

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
Suprised at the fairly negative reactions that its a "watered down land cruiser" and "not worthy of the LC name". Its a Prado, sure, not a "full" land cruiser, but the luxo-bloat of the last couple generations I think this is back on the right track. This thing has me seriously thinking its something Id trade my truck (Ram 2500 Power Wagon)

Power: 2.4L Turbo 4cyl Hybrid, 326hp/465ft-lb vs 6.4L n/a V8. Considering the hp loss naturally aspirated 6.4L have at altitude (assuming 3% loss per 1000ft, I live at over 5000ft, that 15% loss takes it to effectively ~350hp), the turbo 2.4L would be nearly as powerful (and more torque) . And probably weighs between 5 and 6k vs 8k, which is substantially lighter.

Fuel Economy: No official mpg yet, but estimated 27mpg combined. I get 13mpg combined in the Power Wagon, 15mpg on road trips, 10mpg city driving and offroad. 27mpg would be double.

Towing: Power Wagon rated at ~10,500, LC at 6,000lb. I dont tow frequently, so this isnt a huge factor for me.

Offroad: The PW is a beast, body on frame, full float solid axles with 5 link rear suspension, dual locking axles and front sway bar disconnect, 4.10 gears and heavy duty manual shift transfer case, factory 33s (I have 35s on mine). But its huge and doesnt fit down a lot of trails . The Land Cruiser will surely have offroad chops too though. Also body on frame--but independent front susp, locking center and rear axle, optional front sway bar disconnect, full time 4wd. Factory 33s. Still a big vehicle compared to a TJ, but substantially smaller than the PW. No factory winch, but Im sure the aftermarket would solve that with ease.

Camping: I camp in the bed of my truck under the topper. Its great. But Im sure i could make a good sleeping setup in the back of the LC. 2400W inverter standard is pretty neat feature, Im sure the aftermarket will figure out how to utilize it...My truck has a factory 400W inverter, but to be honest ive only used it for my laptop so Im not sure what the extra 2000W would be good for.

Truck Bed: Well I like having a truck bed for hauling, but since i got the topper it makes it more of an SUV anyways. I suppose I would just have to get a small trailer for hauling gravel, slash, leaves, trash etc. Ive used my truck to haul pallets occasionally for work, but probably not often enough to say I need a truck bed.

Another big plus is the Toyota aftermarket is huge. Lots of options, and because theres lots of options pricing is more competitive

But damn I do love my power wagon! I definitely was planning on keeping this truck for 100k miles plus, 5-10 years, but here i am at a little over 40k miles and nearly 4 years and questioning everything. The price is way less than a 200 series was, but mid-50k is not inexpensive by any means. On the plus side, I could probably sell/trade my truck and have very little difference to get the LC.

Thanks for listening to my Ted talk.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

Suprised at the fairly negative reactions that its a "watered down land cruiser" and "not worthy of the LC name". Its a Prado, sure, not a "full" land cruiser, but the luxo-bloat of the last couple generations I think this is back on the right track.
The flagship Land Cruisers (100, 200, etc) have historically been over built. Just compare the lower control arm of a 200 Series to a GX460 (150 Series Prado) and you can see what I'm talking about. The Prado has always been a watered down Land Cruiser. That's what people are talking about. Sure, it says Land Cruiser in the name, but it's like comparing an AMG to a base model Mercedes.

I get why Toyota is giving us the Prado. The LX has outsold the Land Cruiser in the US for decades. Average luxury SUV buyers don't want to pay $100k+ for a Toyota when they can get a Lexus and all of the white glove dealer treatment that comes with it for the same price. The Land Cruiser was always one of those exclusive "IYKYK" type of vehicles. Gone are those days.

Reactions: Sequoiadendron

bee_CO

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

First Name
Bee
Last Name
Bee
The flagship Land Cruisers (100, 200, etc) have historically been over built. Just compare the lower control arm of a 200 Series to a GX460 (150 Series Prado) and you can see what I'm talking about. The Prado has always been a watered down Land Cruiser. That's what people are talking about. Sure, it says Land Cruiser in the name, but it's like comparing an AMG to a base model Mercedes.

I get why Toyota is giving us the Prado. The LX has outsold the Land Cruiser in the US for decades. Average luxury SUV buyers don't want to pay $100k+ for a Toyota when they can get a Lexus and all of the white glove dealer treatment that comes with it for the same price. The Land Cruiser was always one of those exclusive "IYKYK" type of vehicles. Gone are those days.
For sure, I have a big soft spot for the 80-series in particular; but not a fan of the 100 and 200 series (and the GX-Series), too much luxo-bloat, even though I know their underpinnings are solid. I know the Prado's are typically built "lighter duty" than the "full size" LC's, they still have a solid reputation for reliability. And we will see how much might actually be shared since the platform is shared with the 300 (and other BOF vehicles). Considering Toyota is marketing it as an offroader and Id say kind of conceding that the 300 series is maybe no longer the offroader its predecessors were, hoping they chose to "overbuild" the 250. Thats one thing I love about my Power Wagon, is that it is "overbuilt". It shares its platform with HD trucks that are meant to haul and be abused as a work trucks.

We'll see...but it certainly has my attention, especially if it can deliver 25+mpg.

On the other hand, Im also curious to see what they do with the new T4R...price wise (based on 2023 pricing) the base LC 1958 as a top end T4R. And base T4R 4WD starts at 42K, with "TRD Offroad" at 45k (locking rear diff). Im guessing the T4R will get the 2.4T non-hybrid as the new Tacoma gets (278hp and 317ftlb...maybe it will get the lower output version on SR5(228hp/243ftlb)) with the hybrid as optional on mid-tiers/standard on top-tiers...but maybe it wont get the hybrid because that might price it too close/not allow enough of a product differentiation between it and the LC. I just feel like there might not be enough difference between the T4R and the LC to justify the extra cost of the LC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arailt

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I am eager to get behind the wheel of a 250. If it solves the two biggest complaints I have about the 200: 1) Miles per tank and 2) No HVAC fan speed button; I can see myself trading the 200 for one.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I am eager to get behind the wheel of a 250. If it solves the two biggest complaints I have about the 200: 1) Miles per tank and 2) No HVAC fan speed button; I can see myself trading the 200 for one.
The $90k+ Land Cruiser 200 does not have a switch to manually control the fan speed on the A/C system? Certainly, I misread that!

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
TBH, the new LC is the only vehicle I've seen lately that has me seriously considering trading my truck in a couple of years. It checks most of the right boxes, my biggest question is around the 2.4 turbo hybrid and how it performs once the tiny battery is depleted. I get the draw to the 4Runner but I couldn't deal with the seating position or the awful 5-speed auto. The only other vehicle I'd been seriously considering has been the Ineos Grenadier, but being a new brand with no dealer network in the US yet and having a BMW engine I have reservations about being able to get proper service under warranty.

Fingers crossed Toyota did the right thing with the powertrain they chose.

Reactions: bee_CO

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
The $90k+ Land Cruiser 200 does not have a switch to manually control the fan speed on the A/C system? Certainly, I misread that!
CORRECT!

To manually adjust the HVAC fan speed (at least in a 2016-2021 200 series), you have to go 2 menus deep on the touch screen. When powered up, the HVAC system defaults to AUTO and tries to maintain the temperature it is set to. The set temperature can be adjusted from a dash button. If your go far enough up/down with the temperature selection the fan speed will automatically change. This has been my work around, but it is still a pain.

Reactions: Tundracamper

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

CORRECT!

To manually adjust the HVAC fan speed (at least in a 2016-2021 200 series), you have to go 2 menus deep on the touch screen. When powered up, the HVAC system defaults to AUTO and tries to maintain the temperature it is set to. The set temperature can be adjusted from a dash button. If your go far enough up/down with the temperature selection the fan speed will automatically change. This has been my work around, but it is still a pain.
This is how the GX operates as well. I didn’t realize there was no physical fan speed button until now haha. I guess I’ve never needed it because the auto thermostat works great.