Creator III

Auburn, AL, USA
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Adams
Ham/GMRS Callsign
Windigo
Hey guys I'm new to the app here and still working my way through all the buttons, but I figured I'd start here with something I'm wondering about. I drive a 1997 Mits Montero and the stock set up has it at Torsion bars which I don't really have a problem with aside from there is no droop in the front end so when I'm wheeling I lose all of my front end pulling power pretty easily. I know I could combat this by disconnecting swaybars and such but I already rolled one of these vehicles and I'm terrified to do that again. I have a rtt im getting rid of cuz I'm too scared to add the top weight and the tallest tires I feel comfortable running are 31-33's stuffed. What I wanted to figure out is if someone has done the conversion without increasing the lift too much and was it worth the effort. Yes I know I'm a chicken for being scared of a lift kit I do eventually plan to run lockers and I still have the rear that's in the rolled one for the rear-end but I still would like a smidgen of drop in the front end

Attachments

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I don't see how the torsion bar would technically have lesser downtravel then a coilover, it's more binding of the whole system including the swaybar and the shock travel that limits it.
Maybe there are some high misalignment bushings or joints for your suspension linkage available?
So maybe you can look at aftermarket shocks which could also be helpful reducing body roll.