Rank III

Pathfinder III

Sandy Beach Regional Park, Lloydminster, SK, Canada
First Name
William
Last Name
Moffat
Member #

I found this excellent list for emergency tools specific to the 4runner at Toyota 4Runner Tool Roll and Pack List. People are invited to crowd-share, edit and down the list so I don't think I am violating any copyright laws in sharing it:

Toyota 4Runner Tool Roll and Basic Pack List
Let’s crowdsource the ultimate 4Runner Tool Roll (and suggest some other things that you might want to carry for worst-case situations)

Theory:
  • Tool Roll and “In-vehicle” supplies live in the 4Runner at all times.
  • The “trip kit” fits in an ammo can sized box and joins us on trips away from home for any extended amount of time.
  • This list DOES NOT include camping gear. This is just vehicle/survival gear to get you out of a bad situation.

Take everything here with a grain of salt. Pick the tools that best suit you, your vehicle, and the weather/situations you are likely to encounter.

Tool roll example: (Image borrowed from Good tool roll-up pouches, where to get?)

ToolsIn-VehicleRecovery Kit
Definition: Fits in a tool roll that fits in spare tire tool areaDefinition: Mounted/under seats/etcDefinition: Larger Kit designed for extended trips away from home, but separate from camping supplies.

• Spare tire (I know people who don’t carry a spare…)
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • First Aid Kit
  • Window Breaker / Seat Belt Cutter
  • Flashlight
  • 3 Prong Extension Cord (for AC inverter)
  • 2-way radio (ham,cb,etc)
  • Emergency Blanket
  • Umbrella
  • Jacket/Sweatshirt
  • Multi-tool/Leatherman
  • Ratchet Straps / Bungee Cords
  • Tire Pressure Gauge

• Air Compressor
  • Tire Patch Kit
  • Recovery Strap
  • Tree Saver
  • Shackles
  • Extra Hitch Pins
  • Hitch Shackle Mount
  • Jumper Cables / Jump Box
  • Extra oil, coolant, other fluids
  • Spare Serpentine Belt
  • Spare Radiator Hoses
  • Spare lug nuts
  • Shovel (I have a roof rack mount for mine)
  • TPMS / schrader valve repair kit/Emergency Valve Stems
  • Hi-Lift Jack
  • Traction Boards

• Other Suggestions:
    • CV Axle Tool (Rope)
    • Spare through bolt (UCA)
    • Spare Caster/Camber Cam Bolt(s)
    • Spare tie-rods

I learned a lot of valuable lessons while building my first rig, and I want to share the order of operations that I feel best suits most weekend-warrior/overlander types.

Suggested upgrade path:
• basic ‎recovery gear (strap, shackles, hitch pins, tools, shovel, tire patch kit, air pump)
• tires (if you can only do one thing, always do tires)
• get out and explore with others so you can get a feel for what you enjoy and what the vehicle is capable of
• build out ‎electrical infrastructure (fuse blocks, breakers, relay mounts, etc) for accessories (comms, lights, nav, etc)
• ‎comm gear (cb/ham/gmrs)
• ‎sliders
• fill in missing skids or full skid replacement
• storage (roof rack, drawers, organization, etc)
• additional lights, if needed
• ‎rear bumper
• front bumper and winch
• lift/suspension to handle increased weight
• consider running larger tires to get axles up off the ground (now that you likely also have a rear bumper or roof rack to carry a larger sized spare)
• front locker - if you get this far, you might also want to re-gear since you're likely running larger tires.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I think I've seen this list on t4r.org before. One thing that always stands out to me is the lack of a 1/2" drive ratchet and any 1/2" sockets other than the 21mm, 24mm, and 35mm. I think the intent is that for the 1/2" drive sockets you use the 3/8" ratchet, adapter, and breaker bar. I would personally be wary about applying much above ~80 lb/ft to a 3/8" ratchet, and the spindle nuts (what the 35mm is for) are on a lot tighter than that. For my 4Runner I carry a full metric set of 3/8 drive shallow sockets + ratchet, and a metric set of 1/2 drive deep sockets + ratchet.

Oh, and I recommend including a JIS screwdriver since they are much less likely to strip out screws such as the ones that hold the MAF sensor in place.

Here's an older post on what I carry in case anybody is interested. I've since added a few items.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Slomatt is correct. 1/2 drive ratchet, breaker bar and an aluminum cheater pipe should be included. I would also recommend not bringing any wrenches or sockets that aren’t needed in order to cut down on excessive weight. For example- my vehicle uses 8-10-12-14-17-19-21-22-24-27-30-32 and 36mm fasteners. Why drag along sockets & wrenches that will never be used? Even in my garage I keep the Toyota tools segregated from my Ford Ranger tools.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Slomatt is correct. 1/2 drive ratchet, breaker bar and an aluminum cheater pipe should be included. I would also recommend not bringing any wrenches or sockets that aren’t needed in order to cut down on excessive weight. For example- my vehicle uses 8-10-12-14-17-19-21-22-24-27-30-32 and 36mm fasteners. Why drag along sockets & wrenches that will never be used? Even in my garage I keep the Toyota tools segregated from my Ford Ranger tools.
I completely agree with being conscious of the added weight of tools and anything else we put in our rigs. That said I frequently travel with Jeeps that have imperial fasteners, and some aftermarket gear similarly requires an imperial wrench or socket. I don't carry any imperial tools, but I do carry the "in between" sizes of metric since may of them overlap. For example 13mm = 1/2", 19mm = 3/4", etc. Some of these overlap sizes I already need for my truck, and it allows me to work on other vehicles if necessary.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

Honestly on the weight front, I used to carry just what I knew was on my truck but in the end, the difference in a pared down set and my "full" set is only about 10-15 lbs. It could just be my mentality as a former master tech (much like how an EMT is more likely to have a more in-depth FAK) but I've absolutely broken out my roll to help others and it frequently included tools my smaller set would not have. Between Toyota, Jeep, Ford, and GM you pretty much need the full range so I just carry my 8-22mm set.

I definitely don't carry all the big stuff to cover all wheel nuts and the like but skipping tools in the common stuff doesn't feel worth it when they can be the difference between someone making it out and you towing them out.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Honestly on the weight front, I used to carry just what I knew was on my truck but in the end, the difference in a pared down set and my "full" set is only about 10-15 lbs. It could just be my mentality as a former master tech (much like how an EMT is more likely to have a more in-depth FAK) but I've absolutely broken out my roll to help others and it frequently included tools my smaller set would not have. Between Toyota, Jeep, Ford, and GM you pretty much need the full range so I just carry my 8-22mm set.

I definitely don't carry all the big stuff to cover all wheel nuts and the like but skipping tools in the common stuff doesn't feel worth it when they can be the difference between someone making it out and you towing them out.
I’ve heard that before, but 10-15 lbs here 10-15lbs there, before you know it you’re dragging around a hundred extra pounds. As far as helping someone out? Heck ya, but everyone I’ve ever traveled with, all three of them, have their own tools.

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

I’ve heard that before, but 10-15 lbs here 10-15lbs there, before you know it you’re dragging around a hundred extra pounds. As far as helping someone out? Heck ya, but everyone I’ve ever traveled with, all three of them, have their own tools.
I get it, but there's a difference between 10 lbs of potentially life-saving things like tools, fuel, or medical and other farkles and niceties. I'm pretty stringent on weight elsewhere so it's not really a concern when I splurge in a few places.

As long as you aren't treating everything as only 10 lbs it's fine, and I can't say someone less experienced should/would make the same choice.

Reactions: MOAK