Tire Recommendations

• HTML tutorial

Squaregetaway

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Birmingham Alabama
Member #

Good morning. I need input on new tires. I have a 2010 Tacoma TRD Offroad. Everything is stock on my truck so I want the biggest tires I can get without rubbing. Here are the tires I am considering. Any recommendations on other tires is welcome! Hope I posted this in the right spot. Thanks!
- General Grabber AT2
- Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3
- Sumitomo Encounter AT
- Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015
- General Grabber AT2

EDIT: I ended going with Falken Wildpeak AT3s. I had a ton of recommendations for the Falkens. Thanks for everyones input!!

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I have run the Gen. Grabber AT2 and like them. I am running Goodrich KO2 now. I only got 28k on the last set of KO2.

Reactions: Squaregetaway

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

265/75R16 will be the biggest I believe and they come in just about everything. I know 255/85R16 fit no rub on most third gens but I think they have a slightly higher front end than the second gen.

Recommendations are going to be highly dependent on peoples' locale and habits. People who live in the desert are going to be well served by something like the Grabber AT3 or BFG KO2. People who live on the east coast in the mountains or wetter areas will be better served by MT tires like the BFG KM3 or Cooper STT PRO. Something like the Cooper ST MAXX will be more middle of the road with an AT center an MT outer blocks. If it's a fairly dedicated rig then more aggressive tires are more liveable whereas if you do 80/20 road to off road then you likely want to be on the less aggressive AT side.

BFG, Cooper, General, and Falken are all generally good options but what works for you is going to be up to you.

Reactions: Squaregetaway

Squaregetaway

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Birmingham Alabama
Member #

265/75R16 will be the biggest I believe and they come in just about everything. I know 255/85R16 fit no rub on most third gens but I think they have a slightly higher front end than the second gen.

Recommendations are going to be highly dependent on peoples' locale and habits. People who live in the desert are going to be well served by something like the Grabber AT3 or BFG KO2. People who live on the east coast in the mountains or wetter areas will be better served by MT tires like the BFG KM3 or Cooper STT PRO. Something like the Cooper ST MAXX will be more middle of the road with an AT center an MT outer blocks. If it's a fairly dedicated rig then more aggressive tires are more liveable whereas if you do 80/20 road to off road then you likely want to be on the less aggressive AT side.

BFG, Cooper, General, and Falken are all generally good options but what works for you is going to be up to you.
Thank you for the information. I should have stated that my vehicle is my daily driver. I live in central Alabama, so lots of hills . My offroading is not too extreme, mainly trail riding and looking for creeks to fish.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
None of the above in my view (I know that's not answering your question correctly...).

FOr this mix I would go for Geolandar A/T-S not GO15, or Toyo Open COuntry A/T. May be Pirelli Scorpions.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Only 28k! Mine is a daily drive so i'll need a little more longevity. I love the KO2 but they are out of my price range. Thanks for the input.
Heck, I have 20,000 miles on my KO2's and they look brand new. Proper tire pressure insures long tread wear, just sayin .........

My original KO's had 47,000 miles on them, and I only changed them because of a trip to Alaska.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I have run the Gen. Grabber AT2 and like them. I am running Goodrich KO2 now. I only got 28k on the last set of KO2.
Hmm - how is your alignment (or more accurately, your vehicle's alignment)? We ran BF Goodrich T/As on our Land Cruiser - we replaced two at around 70,000 Km and they could have done another 5000-10,000 Km at a guess however we wanted to renew them where we were able to find tyres and not run out of tread far from infrastructure), the other two were still in good condition at around 80,000 Km and could have continued to 100,000 Km I believe.

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Hmm - how is your alignment (or more accurately, your vehicle's alignment)? We ran BF Goodrich T/As on our Land Cruiser - we replaced two at around 70,000 Km and they could have done another 5000-10,000 Km at a guess however we wanted to renew them where we were able to find tyres and not run out of tread far from infrastructure), the other two were still in good condition at around 80,000 Km and could have continued to 100,000 Km I believe.
Alignment is a good point. I had KO2's first and did an entire makover. Lift, wheels, tires and alignment. The tires lasted a long time. In the end, it was excessive camber that wore them unevenly. Knowing that I switched to the General Grabbers as they are cheaper. One day I will get the alignment squared away. But for now, I'm burning through cheaper tires.

Speaking more to the tires. You'll need to ask yourself what they will be doing. Some tires will better for dirt, some better in sand, or rocks, or mud etc. My General Grabbers were great in the snow but I liked my KO2's better off road. Anyone you ask will probably have different experiences with each tire. From your list I would pick the grabbers (just because I've had experience with them) or the Geolanders because they were high on my list when I was initially researching tires.

As for your fitment question. I would suggest connecting with Tacoma specific people. There is undoubtedly a wealth of information about what size tire will work and what mods can get you to the next size up. Since I have more of a "soft-roader", tire size was a limiting factor for me. But I'm sure most tires would come in the appropriate size for a Tacoma.

Hope this helps.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Speaking more to the tires. You'll need to ask yourself what they will be doing. Some tires will better for dirt, some better in sand, or rocks, or mud etc. My General Grabbers were great in the snow but I liked my KO2's better off road. Anyone you ask will probably have different experiences with each tire. From your list I would pick the grabbers (just because I've had experience with them) or the Geolanders because they were high on my list when I was initially researching tires.
Good point on what they'll be used for. For 70/30 surfaced/unsurfaced we'd pick either Geolandar A/T-S or Toyo Open Country A/T (we're on the latter now), for more like 60/40 with a fair amount of rough track the BFG T/As are good. Having said that, the Toyos have done a good job for us in dunes and rough corrugated roads (for example the GRR - 3-1/2 million corrugations, by our estimate). When we replaced a blown Geolandar A/T-S the only ATs available were BFG T/A and Toyo OC A/T - we chose the latter on the advice of the guy at the shop, on the basis that he considered them a s good as the BFG and more economical. They've been good so far.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Heck, I have 20,000 miles on my KO2's and they look brand new. Proper tire pressure insures long tread wear, just sayin .........

My original KO's had 47,000 miles on them, and I only changed them because of a trip to Alaska.
Sorry, I chalk my tire regularly. I would get 40 plus on my KO for years.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Good point on what they'll be used for. For 70/30 surfaced/unsurfaced we'd pick either Geolandar A/T-S or Toyo Open Country A/T (we're on the latter now), for more like 60/40 with a fair amount of rough track the BFG T/As are good. Having said that, the Toyos have done a good job for us in dunes and rough corrugated roads (for example the GRR - 3-1/2 million corrugations, by our estimate). When we replaced a blown Geolandar A/T-S the only ATs available were BFG T/A and Toyo OC A/T - we chose the latter on the advice of the guy at the shop, on the basis that he considered them a s good as the BFG and more economical. They've been good so far.
I did 25+ years on BFG-AT's (KO), best I could get was 45,000 plus on a gas engine, and about 43,000 on my diesel version. My truck tires were kept in a state of mileage rotation every 5,000 miles, with TP tread measurements dictating rotation. These were my best longevity reaches. Because BFG became so proud of their tires ($$$), I was forced like many. to look for alternatives..

I settled on the Toyo AT 2, as the price, durability, milelage, were all what I was looking for. The Falken Wildpeaks would have been my choice, but at the time the company was in-between the gen 2 and gen 3, and my size 285x75x16, were not available. These have gotten good reviews for toughness in rocks (little or no stone bruising). My BIL has put 3 sets on his truck. They also get fairly good wet weather reviews. As a cheaper AT tire, they might be something to look into. Mileage should come in between 43,000-50,000. Do rotations, and monitor TP for any crowning or cupping due to pressure.

****There are some tire threads somewhere on here, that go over those selections mentioned above. Hopefully somebody can link them or a moderator can merge them together.**** :grinning:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

What were they mounted on? I got crazy milage out of my last set of BFG ATs.
I drive a RAM 2500 4x4. I upsized and purchased 5 BFG KO2s a couple of years ago. These are my first KO2’s, I have run BFG KO for years on my trucks, on 3 occasions I purchased General’s that were comparable. I rotate at 5k miles. This truck is a mostly used a overlander. I have been doing the same for years, the only difference is this time I drove 28k on them before I replaced 3 and swapped out the spare. My expectations are about 40k per set, as I have in the past. I have chalk tested with it empty, solo driving trip and fully loaded for a post up vacation. I air down to 35# when go off-road. I am trying to decide if this anomaly or the KO2’s.
Sorry for the hijack.

Thomas P

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Pasinger
Member #

I really like my Dick Cepek Extreme Country (Mud & Snow) tires. They are great both on road and off. Running 315's on my JK lifted 2.5".

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Cooper st maxx.

Mild AT tread, strong MT carcass.