Thoughts on the Colorado ZR2?

• HTML tutorial

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

Hi OB. Is anyone here overlanding in the new diesel ZR2? On paper it seems like worthy competition for the Tacoma and having previously owned a diesel Ranger I'm really drawn to the Duramax option.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the US (yet) so any context about the Chevy brand is totally lost on me. Feel free to school me :)

Reactions: Kelly

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

It's interesting personally I am not a 1st year adopter of anything, not overly stoked on the MPG stats so far but again until the right people get their hands on one we just won't know. Given the cost of the Diesel (Also my personal preference) it would be difficult to justify other then "I want". I don't care who makes it all manufacturers have their good and bad well most of them :-P

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Here in the Midwest portion of the U.S. Diesel is normally 30-60 cents more per gallon, so, unless the diesel optioned engine gets much higher MPG's, the added cost of the engine doesn't normally math out well. If a manufacturer could put out a Smaller diesel that has good power but still gets near 30+ mpg, I'd be all over it. But, when the diesel option is only 2-5 MPG above the gas option, no.

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Hi OB. Is anyone here overlanding in the new diesel ZR2? On paper it seems like worthy competition for the Tacoma and having previously owned a diesel Ranger I'm really drawn to the Duramax option.

Disclaimer: I'm not in the US (yet) so any context about the Chevy brand is totally lost on me. Feel free to school me :)
I was seriously considering the Colorado, until someone told me about this...

https://cumminsengines.com/crate-engine-program

Would love to have the first diesel ZJ :-)

Also, Toyota and Jeep are rumored to be coming out with diesels, as early as next year's models, in the Tacoma and Wrangler.

Reactions: The Nothing

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

Ah, thats interesting! I still haven't got my head around the US car market yet. A diesel tacoma or a diesel JKU pickup would be tempting. Really though I just want my Ranger back :)

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
it should be noted, that the current US Diesels require ultra low sulfur fuels. This works great in the US and Canada. As you travel South to Mexico and beyond, availability of ultra low sulfur Diesel dwindles. Just thought I would share this, in case the intent was to travel to these places also.

When I last visited UAE, wheeling was all about playing in the sand. Is Overlanding becoming more popular?

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

it should be noted, that the current US Diesels require ultra low sulfur fuels. This works great in the US and Canada. As you travel South to Mexico and beyond, availability of ultra low sulfur Diesel dwindles. Just thought I would share this, in case the intent was to travel to these places also.

When I last visited UAE, wheeling was all about playing in the sand. Is Overlanding becoming more popular?
Or the inverse if you are running an old diesel that wants sulfur in US you can always add some conventional motor oil into the fuel or diesel fuel treatment if you want to be more environmentally friendly.