TheHeepJeep Budget Build Thread

• HTML tutorial

TheHeepJeep

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hey guys, figured that I might document my progress on The Heep here.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theheepjeep/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHmMAqkldSqEwtB-dqPnNKw

Suspension/Wheel Goals:
- 3" lift, for now, a RC add a leaf kit from another XJ
- 31" treadwright Warden A/T's
- I like the later XJ 5 spokes, so to run then I'll go with 1.5" spacers
- Worn out components as needed

Lighting/Accessory Goals:
- 2x 3" Nicoko LED. pods for additional lighting
- Add lighting to hatch interior panel to provide light in the rear work space when hatch is up
- Solar panel/spare battery setup for phones, cameras, laptops, etc.
- Will be running an alternator from a V8 grand Cherokee, 136amps vs stock 90amps

Interior Goals:
- Ammo can center console for larger storage space, lockable and it's just cool lol
- Mounts for cell phone to rub storage
- Inverter setup to charge phone, cameras, etc off the XJ's charging system when driving
- Old Kenwood head unit i have laying around with BOSS Audio budget friendly speakers, not needing anything crazy but I'd enjoy a little music or the ability to hook up my phone to the vehicle.
- build a shelf and drawer system in back so tools and equipment aren't visible
- molle rear window panels for security and additional storage options

Body Goals:
- roof rack for spare tire, jack and other equipment
- eventually front and rear steel bumpers
- sliding rockers are being welded in where my rockers use to be
- rear quarters are rotted and will be trimmed and folder up flush with the trunk floor.

Currently repairing the damage from the rust at the moment.

Here's day one, completely stock, one owner.

First thing I had to two was change the wheels for the time being, and for two reasons: 1) the Jeep had two different tire sizes and 2) I hated those wheels.FB_IMG_1510651194678.jpgIMG_20171117_152259_886.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited:

TheHeepJeep

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

When looking at this Jeep, the rust was in areas that could be fixed, and the frame rails looked great. So for under $1000, I said deal.

The last couple of months I've been chopping out rotted rockers, floor pans and preparing to reskin the entire floor of the hatch are as time allows.

Here's some pics of the rust on the floors and getting started chopping out the passenger side floors. As you can see, the passenger floors were nearly all gone for the most part. FB_IMG_1521046675984.jpgFB_IMG_1521046645544.jpg

Reactions: Smileyshaun

TheHeepJeep

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Added my goals.

This will be a budget friendly build in the start and keeping this somewhat daily driven....at least we all say that in the beginning right?

New u bolts and leaf spring bushings I needed in route for the lift install can begin. Soaking the all the bolts I'll need to remove with wd40 all this week. I'll be sourcing a higher amperage alternator from a V8 grand Cherokee and modifying my existing alternator bracket to fit it.

Last edited:

TheHeepJeep

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Hellloooooo sunday mail deliveries.

Looks like the ubolts and busbings are in. I might go ahead and start the lift kit tomorrow early afternoon.

If I get it all done early enough, I might have time to get my tires mounted and balanced.IMG_20180325_170712_169.jpg