Launch Member

Explorer I

West Richland, WA
First Name
Garrett
Last Name
Goodwin
Member #

Anyone thinking of doing the sugarloaf peak trip with Chileno206 on Sunday? I bought a 4runner on Saturday and need to do some repairs and hoping to have them done by then but might have to see if my dad would want to take his truck up there to do some trail runs. Just didn't know if everyone had seen that trip.

Reactions: M Rose

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Anyone thinking of doing the sugarloaf peak trip with Chileno206 on Sunday? I bought a 4runner on Saturday and need to do some repairs and hoping to have them done by then but might have to see if my dad would want to take his truck up there to do some trail runs. Just didn't know if everyone had seen that trip.
I'd like to but I don't know if I can skip out on work 2 weekends in a row. Went up and ran the Naches Pass trail this past weekend with @Ceg. We're supposed to be wrapping up harvest this week-ish so if it looks like things will be done and I can get away I might go, but it would probably be a last minute decision.
NachesPass.jpg

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
uugh... working

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I'd like to but I don't know if I can skip out on work 2 weekends in a row. Went up and ran the Naches Pass trail this past weekend with @Ceg. We're supposed to be wrapping up harvest this week-ish so if it looks like things will be done and I can get away I might go, but it would probably be a last minute decision.
View attachment 173350
Jealous. I was working this weekend also. Harvesting electricity from the atoms.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
I didnt see this event. Sorry i cant go. Thanks for letting us know.

Reactions: M Rose

Ghosting

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Pendleton OR
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Haug
Most of us are Hams, fallowed closely by GMRS, only one is running CB, but he is upgrading to Ham very soon.

if you’re interested in becoming a Ham, DM and I will get you in touch with the closest testing to you. There are testing sessions in Walla-Walla, La Grande, and Kennewick. I have pdf study guides that I loan out as well as a list of study apps.
Price point, especially for new overlanders, is probably a factor in choice, many “serious” rigs will have all three types onboard. That is most often seen in dedicated rigs, those who use their vehicles daily or perhaps can’t keep their trail rig locked away safely may have reasons to choose specific types. Budget will play a part in any build. I think @M Rose and @Ceg have points for group use. I have a bad habit of being a lone wolf so my thinking may vary from theirs.
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been offline for the better part of two weeks, so I'm just getting back to follow-up. I'm thinking I'll start with an inexpensive GMRS, and then maybe upgrade later.

Reactions: 4Wheelexplorer

Ghosting

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Pendleton OR
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Haug
Managed to get away mid-week to The Steens and Alvord Desert. Only my second trip in this rig, and the first one getting out on some trails. Had a great time, and it was beautiful.PXL_20201015_005343539.jpg

Attachments

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Thanks for all the feedback. I've been offline for the better part of two weeks, so I'm just getting back to follow-up. I'm thinking I'll start with an inexpensive GMRS, and then maybe upgrade later.
Just an FYI you can get into Ham for less than $100 to include equipment and license.

Ceg

Rank V

Advocate II

Selah, Washington
First Name
Clay
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Tomorrow there is a Clean Up at Juniper Dunes. I will I would known about this before going in the smoke. I will not be able to make it tomorrow.

Click on photo for facebook info.
Juniper-Dunes-Clean-Up-2020.JPG

Reactions: PNW EXPLR

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Managed to get away mid-week to The Steens and Alvord Desert. Only my second trip in this rig, and the first one getting out on some trails. Had a great time, and it was beautiful.View attachment 173865
Amazing photography! I am Interested in your setup. Looks like a greattrip.

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I have to apologize for being a bit disconnected.
I was able to take a trip several weeks ago that I spoke of here, but that following the transmission in Brutus started to give me problems. No surprise, the 68RFE is known to be weak. I just got word today that Brutus is better than ever with a BUILT tranny from BD Diesel. Should be more than enough to handle the “enhancements “ to the 6.7.
I am still working sun up till well into the dark hours hauling grapes for various wineries in the PNW. It should all come to an end in the next couple weeks.....I pray!
I am going to need a long weekend in the hills after it’s done!!!

Ghosting

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Pendleton OR
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Haug
Amazing photography! I am Interested in your setup. Looks like a greattrip.
It was a lot of fun. I just bought the rig in August from some folks who had driven it to Tierra del Fuego and back. They did most of the work on it, and documented a lot of it here: Working On Wilbur

Since I've gotten it, I removed the custom platform that they had installed, and re-installed the rear seats. I also added the roof rack and removed one of the solar panels (the previous owner noted that 200w was overkill). I still have a ton of other stuff to do to it, which I'll slowly work through. I'm keeping a running album of pictures here (the first 30 or so are from the previous owner): Wilbur

PNW EXPLR

Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Did the apples do this?
Was a combination of 140,000 miles and 500 hp. The 68rfe transmissions are known as being the weak link in Ram HD trucks. This new one is a built up version good for lots of HP.

Last edited:
Reactions: G.Goodwin