Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Tabor City, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Marco
Last Name
Padilla
Member #

Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours, dangers, trees down, and anything else that may restrict access to the trail.

If anyone wants a copy of the route, it is FREE and available at the bottom of this post. I will accept donations if you feel inclined to donate to the beer fund. The donations can be sent to xplorr313@gmail.com. The donations are not required though!

Previously I charged for the route due to keeping the route out of the hands of those who were only looking to “off-road” or “wheel” illegally on state land. I received a lot of backlash from the off-roading / Overlanding community for charging for the route. I put over 2 years of my life into making this route, please stay on the path and DO NOT “off-road” or “wheel” off of the path. This could cause closures and could also land you in major trouble with the state, for example: a hefty fine or even vehicle impoundment. I’ve seen and heard about it happening. Do not think it won’t happen to you. The state does have trail cameras along some of the more “prone to off-roading” spots. You will get caught.

The route is current and up to date as of 1-16-2020. The most recent revision of the route was done on 1-16-2020. If you have any version older than 1-16-2020 please reach out to me for an updated version. I will keep this post updated with the most recent version of the route.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LEADNAV APP FOR THE BEST EXPERIENCE. LeadNav is only for iPhones and iPads. The route can be used on other devices, but the route was made with and for LeadNav.

For those of you who are just learning about the Trans New Jersey Trail, the trail is a 450+ mile route that spans from High Point, NJ to Cape May, NJ. The trail consist of asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt, and some mud. The trail is 100% legal for all street legal vehicles. This means you must be registered, insured, and compliant with all DOT regulations (headlights, taillights, seat belts, turn signals, and so on).

The TNJT can be completed in a Subaru as long as the driver is experienced. There is NOTHING complicated on this route. There ARE bypasses for those who do not have a snorkel or the ability to traverse deep mud holes. The bypasses are clearly marked as separate routes. The Zillon Bypass is recommended for those who do not wish to traverse down an extremely tight trail and do not want to risk the couple extremely sloppy mud holes along that part of the TNJT. The Zillon Bypass is 100% asphalt that bypasses the tight trail and sloppy mud holes.

The whole route CAN be done in 3 days. I completed the route in 4 days when I ran it start to end non stop in 2017. My 4th day on the trail only consisted of 50 miles and I could have just finished it on day 3.

The trail has 3 sections North, Central, and South. I consider the North section to go from High Point, NJ to Round Valley Reservoir (Spruce Run Recreation Area [campground]). The Central section to go from Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (camping is available in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest). The South section to go from Brendan T. Byrne State Forest to Cape May, NJ. If you feel inclined to turn it into a 4 day trip, I recommend stopping at Belleplain State Forest for an overnight stay.

I do plan to offer 4 versions of the TNJT. A full length version, which is what I have been passing out to everyone, and the three sections. This will allow daytrippers to do the route one section at a time. I will post when the 4 versions are available. Right now just the whole route is available.

Anyone have any questions, please reach out to me by email or ask here!
Hi We are interested in doing the TNJT however don’t see the link for it.

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
Hey guys, and gals, I decided to create an “official” Trans New Jersey Trail thread. This is where you can find the “official” route and any route info you need to know. Also, this thread will be good for those to post info about the route; like road closures, detours, dangers, trees down, and anything else that may restrict access to the trail.

If anyone wants a copy of the route, it is FREE and available at the bottom of this post. I will accept donations if you feel inclined to donate to the beer fund. The donations can be sent to xplorr313@gmail.com. The donations are not required though!

Previously I charged for the route due to keeping the route out of the hands of those who were only looking to “off-road” or “wheel” illegally on state land. I received a lot of backlash from the off-roading / Overlanding community for charging for the route. I put over 2 years of my life into making this route, please stay on the path and DO NOT “off-road” or “wheel” off of the path. This could cause closures and could also land you in major trouble with the state, for example: a hefty fine or even vehicle impoundment. I’ve seen and heard about it happening. Do not think it won’t happen to you. The state does have trail cameras along some of the more “prone to off-roading” spots. You will get caught.

The route is current and up to date as of 1-16-2020. The most recent revision of the route was done on 1-16-2020. If you have any version older than 1-16-2020 please reach out to me for an updated version. I will keep this post updated with the most recent version of the route.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE LEADNAV APP FOR THE BEST EXPERIENCE. LeadNav is only for iPhones and iPads. The route can be used on other devices, but the route was made with and for LeadNav.

For those of you who are just learning about the Trans New Jersey Trail, the trail is a 450+ mile route that spans from High Point, NJ to Cape May, NJ. The trail consist of asphalt, gravel, sand, dirt, and some mud. The trail is 100% legal for all street legal vehicles. This means you must be registered, insured, and compliant with all DOT regulations (headlights, taillights, seat belts, turn signals, and so on).

The TNJT can be completed in a Subaru as long as the driver is experienced. There is NOTHING complicated on this route. There ARE bypasses for those who do not have a snorkel or the ability to traverse deep mud holes. The bypasses are clearly marked as separate routes. The Zillon Bypass is recommended for those who do not wish to traverse down an extremely tight trail and do not want to risk the couple extremely sloppy mud holes along that part of the TNJT. The Zillon Bypass is 100% asphalt that bypasses the tight trail and sloppy mud holes.

The whole route CAN be done in 3 days. I completed the route in 4 days when I ran it start to end non stop in 2017. My 4th day on the trail only consisted of 50 miles and I could have just finished it on day 3.

The trail has 3 sections North, Central, and South. I consider the North section to go from High Point, NJ to Round Valley Reservoir (Spruce Run Recreation Area [campground]). The Central section to go from Round Valley Reservoir to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest (camping is available in Brendan T. Byrne State Forest). The South section to go from Brendan T. Byrne State Forest to Cape May, NJ. If you feel inclined to turn it into a 4 day trip, I recommend stopping at Belleplain State Forest for an overnight stay.

I do plan to offer 4 versions of the TNJT. A full length version, which is what I have been passing out to everyone, and the three sections. This will allow daytrippers to do the route one section at a time. I will post when the 4 versions are available. Right now just the whole route is available.

Hi We are interested in doing the TNJT however don’t see the link for it.

Trans NJ Trail OB1 - Shared Location - Overland Bound

Should be able to download from there or follow along in the OB1 app. I think you can see the download in this thread only on computer

Reactions: MuckSavage

JeepMoFo1

Rank III

Enthusiast I

East Hanover, Morris County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Flavio
Last Name
Fandino
Member #

Brabman7

Rank 0

Contributor I

Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Brabazon
I did the trail this week 9/14/21, the trail through Stewart's gap is washed out and impassable. Local residents have posted signs saying it's a dead end and private property, no through road, your GPS is wrong. I detoured around it using valley Rd. And James Chapel Rd. I came in from the north side after detouring to confirm the gap is impassable, unless you were in a rock buggy. Also the Stokes state forest area was pretty washed out. I got through in a stock height Tacoma on 32s in 4 low with a spotter, but it was very butt clenchy.

Reactions: TSO_NJ

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

Holland, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

Where can I find this link!

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

I did the trail this week 9/14/21, the trail through Stewart's gap is washed out and impassable. Local residents have posted signs saying it's a dead end and private property, no through road, your GPS is wrong. I detoured around it using valley Rd. And James Chapel Rd. I came in from the north side after detouring to confirm the gap is impassable, unless you were in a rock buggy. Also the Stokes state forest area was pretty washed out. I got through in a stock height Tacoma on 32s in 4 low with a spotter, but it was very butt clenchy.
The Stewart Gap near Karrsville NJ?

View attachment 209873
Thank so much for the info! What a storm

Vagrant Forever

Rank IV

Advocate III

First Name
Jarred
Last Name
Oberman
Member #

The Stewart Gap near Karrsville NJ?

View attachment 209873
Thank so much for the info! What a storm
Where can I find a usable map of the trail all my searches lead to dead links? Thank you for the reply!

tubebar

Rank 0

Contributor I

Scranton, PA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Bonczar
Heya all,

Looking to do the trail top to bottom IPD/Columbus weekend. Can you do the entire trail in 2 days? How much actual driving do you do per day on the 3 day itinerary in terms of driving time? Is it 6 hours, 12, somewhere in between?

What's the current status of the trail overall, saw one area in stokes state forest and stewart's gap were washed out, any other changes? Were these changes uploaded to the trail map?

Thanks!!!

Reactions: Dusther210

ExpTheUnknown

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Liberty Park, 07305, Hudson County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Chavers
Member #

Dusther210

Rank VI

Influencer I

Oakland, Bergen County, New Jersey, United States
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Helms
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2UNH
@Xplorr313 - finished watching your TNJT 2.5 video. You did it the right way. I’m a former firefighter and know the dangers once pine resin ignites. Difficult to control for anyone who has little to no experience with the flammability. Glad to hear that you reduced the heat as much as possible given the fire extinguisher available.

Can you share the link to that video on this thread?

Reactions: TSO_NJ

AdventureMule

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Wilmington, DE
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Hunter
I'm heading out with the boys this weekend! Going to jump on somewhere southeast of Millville, work our way up to Wharton SF, camp for the night, and then head up and around Brendan T. Byrne. I'm working on getting the trail GPX reformatted to a KML so I can have it accessible on my google maps, but that's proving to be a hassle...

This is just going to be a short run to test the endurance of my kids (12 & 6), and a warm-up for the MABDR. I'm really excited that they are into the trip. The oldest one is eager to hunt the Jersey Devil; the younger one just loves that I let him sit on my lap and steer the car in remote areas.

I'm sure I'll have pictures to share on Monday.

tubebar

Rank 0

Contributor I

Scranton, PA, USA
First Name
Lawrence
Last Name
Bonczar
Just attempted the Moores Beach spur. Flooded to high heaven. Is that normal? I drove maybe a quarter mile along the path before it started getting to deep for my comfort. A lifted rig would probably be fine but I don't know if the beach is flooded too or if the beach is above the brackish swamp.

Last edited:

MuckSavage

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

South Jersey, NJ, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
McG
Member #

Just attempted the Moores Beach spur. Flooded to high heaven. Is that normal? I drove maybe a quarter mile along the path before it started getting to deep for my comfort. A lifted rig would probably be fine but I don't know if the beach is flooded too or if the beach is above the brackish swamp.
You should check the tides