Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I am not, just going to keep it enclosed. I like the shape. Considering doing a rear hatch access though.
Pop ups are nice but it introduces a number of issues both from a build point of view (I can't sew! :disrelieved: ... yet) and what you can, or can't, put on the roof when completed.

We have a "store bought" pop up tear drop. It's not a square back but more similar to a traditional slope back. One thing with a rear entry trailer is that you have to get into bed from the end vs. the side. I didn't think I'd like that but it hasn't been that bad. It sure beats jumping over your partner in a single side door tear drop. Having said that, with this build I want to enter the bed from the sides (both) and use the end wall for a galley.

Ours btw is FRP over a stick built body frame. I like the FRP but I think it would be better if it was over a plywood substructure.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Pop ups are nice but it introduces a number of issues both from a build point of view (I can't sew! :disrelieved: ... yet) and what you can, or can't, put on the roof when completed.

We have a "store bought" pop up tear drop. It's not a square back but more similar to a traditional slope back. One thing with a rear entry trailer is that you have to get into bed from the end vs. the side. I didn't think I'd like that but it hasn't been that bad. It sure beats jumping over your partner in a single side door tear drop. Having said that, with this build I want to enter the bed from the sides (both) and use the end wall for a galley.

Ours btw is FRP over a stick built body frame. I like the FRP but I think it would be better if it was over a plywood substructure.
Yeah, I believe it or nor can sew, haha. I want to keep it hard sided and water tight. I'm also trying to avoid using wood or any other natural materials that break down. When I get the axles and it becomes more of a reality I'll have a better idea. I keep opening up cans of worms in my design. My girlfriend is going to help me put it in CAD. Should be easier to visualize.

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
My last one had a rear hatch and one side door. It facilitated putting ARB awnings with the rooms attached--8x8 on the side and 6x8 on the back. Having that much space really leaves the trailer for the bedroom.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I picked up a heavy duty sewing machine a few months ago. What a learning curve. Been playing with sail cloth and ballistic nylon. Still a long way to go.
Yeah, they are tough... my mom has been upholstering for 35 years and has put a needle through a finger once or twice. Quick question, what is your ground clearance? Also, have you put a lot of weight on your roof?

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

Montgomery, Texas, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

I built a modified Teardrop trailer
Body 10 ft long(including bullnose), 4 ft sides, 6 ft wide (tires inside the wall). I used a Northern Tool trailer kit, plywood sheathed in PFG-(poor man's fiberglass). Rear 2 ft - kitchen- 3 burner propane stove, 12 V electric system for interior lighting, water pump, refrigerator/ freezer, 200 watts solar, power pack(60 AH) and storage space. Inside, 30 gal water tank under the bed, 14 inch, wall to wall shelf over foot of bed, roof opens so we can stand up in bull nose area. Hi-clearance Timbren suspension with off-road spindles, electric brakes and 17 inch Jeep wheels. 20 lb. Propane tank & spare tire mounted on tongue and Lock & Roll off-road hitch. See picture in my profile
Very cool. Where can I see it in your profile? Id like to check it out.
The background picture at the top. If somebody can tell me how to upload pictures I can send add'l pictures

Attachments

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Body 10 ft long(including bullnose), 4 ft sides, 6 ft wide (tires inside the wall). I used a Northern Tool trailer kit, plywood sheathed in PFG-(poor man's fiberglass). Rear 2 ft - kitchen- 3 burner propane stove, 12 V electric system for interior lighting, water pump, refrigerator/ freezer, 200 watts solar, power pack(60 AH) and storage space. Inside, 30 gal water tank under the bed, 14 inch, wall to wall shelf over foot of bed, roof opens so we can stand up in bull nose area. Hi-clearance Timbren suspension with off-road spindles, electric brakes and 17 inch Jeep wheels. 20 lb. Propane tank & spare tire mounted on tongue and Lock & Roll off-road hitch. See picture in my profile
The background picture at the top. If somebody can tell me how to upload pictures I can send add'l pictures

Attachments

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Quick question, what is your ground clearance? Also, have you put a lot of weight on your roof?
Not sure on the ground clearance but I've gone through some moderate rocks without issue and I can walk on the rear half my roof. I built the rear half of the roof to be able to support a low profile rack and the front with less support because it just holds my solar panel

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I picked up a heavy duty sewing machine a few months ago. What a learning curve. Been playing with sail cloth and ballistic nylon. Still a long way to go.
When my Mother passed away, I received all of her sewing equipment and supplies. There's a lot of it but it's not heavy duty. I've planned to teach myself how to sew for each of the last 5 winters. Maybe this will be the one!

I've been on a forum that's dedicated to DIY RTT building. A lot of them do a very good job. To a man, EVERYONE says that the only thing that intimidated them was the sewing. It was always everyone's last step, and, in some cases, you never heard from them again.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Not sure on the ground clearance but I've gone through some moderate rocks without issue and I can walk on the rear half my roof. I built the rear half of the roof to be able to support a low profile rack and the front with less support because it just holds my solar panel
Ahh ok, im trying to keep it short. I do have a subie

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
When my Mother passed away, I received all of her sewing equipment and supplies. There's a lot of it but it's not heavy duty. I've planned to teach myself how to sew for each of the last 5 winters. Maybe this will be the one!

I've been on a forum that's dedicated to DIY RTT building. A lot of them do a very good job. To a man, EVERYONE says that the only thing that intimidated them was the sewing. It was always everyone's last step, and, in some cases, you never heard from them again.

Ha! Its not bad. Need a lot of patience.

Jacob Blenker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Florida, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Blenker
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Got my timbren axles today. I am having an internal debate as to whether the weight savings are substantial enough to warrant the additional cost of material and a mig welder for aluminum.

Reactions: Timbren-Industries

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Attachments

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Got my timbren axles today. I am having an internal debate as to whether the weight savings are substantial enough to warrant the additional cost of material and a mig welder for aluminum.
Your main rai is s need to be fairly narrow for the Timbren. I would suggest steel for them. Everything else could be aluminum

Silver Rover

Rank V

Member III

First Name
Mark
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Your main rai is s need to be fairly narrow for the Timbren. I would suggest steel for them. Everything else could be aluminum
"RAILS"