The Grenadier....

• HTML tutorial

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Looks like it's not available in diesel in the US....

Am I wrong?

rtexpeditions

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Treloyn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VK7VWK
Perhaps it cannot pass the emissions tests. Europe and the US have different standards, and passing the US standard with a relatively small-capacity diesel is often difficult even if it passes the Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle (ULEV) standards for Europe.

Reactions: Arailt

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I put in my preorder last week. A ton of unknowns about this rig, dealers, repair, reliability, yada yada and I am normally not one to jump into the early adoptor bucket but I really like what they have done, the mindset behind the project and the partners they have chosen. I might live to regret the decision but what the heck, you only live once! Plus now I think I can actually build an overland that won't always be pressed into daily duty.

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I put in my preorder last week. A ton of unknowns about this rig, dealers, repair, reliability, yada yada and I am normally not one to jump into the early adaptor bucket but I really like what they have done, the mindset behind the project and the partners they have chosen. I might live to regret the decision but what the heck, you only live once! Plus now I think I can actually build and overland that won't always be pressed into daily duty.
Congrats. It's a great base for an overlanding rig, I'm sure. Please tell us more! When will it be delivered, what are your plans for it? Any trips planned yet?

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I’m hoping other manufacturers are influenced by the Grenadier ( AKA 110 platform) platform and begin getting us back to basic vehicles that are extraordinarily reliable and that encourage us to maintain, modify and wrench on them, by design. As far as the Grenadier itself? I’ll never buy one as I am addicted to the 80 series, but it will be interesting to watch automotive history unfold.

Reactions: MazeVX

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Congrats. It's a great base for an overlanding rig, I'm sure. Please tell us more! When will it be delivered, what are your plans for it? Any trips planned yet?
Those who have pre-ordered will know more this month as to dealerships etc. I understand delivery in the US will begin in December 0f 2023. As to trips I am hoping to set it up for longer trips and more comfort than we have in the JKU. I think I would like to take it to Black Bear as one of the shakedown trips but we don't have specifics planned at this point. I will keep up the information flow and will surely have updates on our YouTube channel when we get it and start outfitting it.

I think it is a great time to be looking for a vehicle and am also excited to see the new Landcruiser coming and all the great vehicles being delivered by the US manufacturers. We will be keeping the JKU and a full size pickup as I don't think there is one "best" vehicle.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I put in my preorder last week. A ton of unknowns about this rig, dealers, repair, reliability, yada yada and I am normally not one to jump into the early adaptor bucket but I really like what they have done, the mindset behind the project and the partners they have chosen. I might live to regret the decision but what the heck, you only live once! Plus now I think I can actually build and overland that won't always be pressed into daily duty.
Look forward to hearing out it works out in the real world. I have been drooling over the Grenadier for a couple of years now. Really hope to see other companies do this also.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I’m hoping other manufacturers are influenced by the Grenadier ( AKA 110 platform) platform and begin getting us back to basic vehicles that are extraordinarily reliable and that encourage us to maintain, modify and wrench on them, by design. As far as the Grenadier itself? I’ll never buy one as I am addicted to the 80 series, but it will be interesting to watch automotive history unfold.
As much as I love the idea, I don't see how governments would step back from emissions and overboarding safety systems. Everything that isn't effected by this is really up to the manufacturer and the grenadier has a good chance to be reliable.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
That and how many 4WD boxy SUV's are out there?
The Rover shape was designed for its ability to store square edge containers efficiently. The Mercedes G wagon kept its boxy shape but how many people want to abuse a 150k-200k SUV with 22 inch rims? Toyota started rounding their corners after the FJ40 and the Rover still beat it in storage efficiency. If you read a comparison between the any year Jeep and the Rover, the Rover has better cargo storage.

We are a niche market. We like these but the rest of the people want a stylish SUV grocery getter. I'm actually surprised this came out. Reality is, we only have two manufactures building something old school.
I like these and I like what they offer for the price point. It will be interesting to see where they go.

Reactions: MOAK and MazeVX

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Many have been longing for it, a poptop roof for the IG. Now there is one:

I'm a big poptop roof fan anyway and have converted my 110 long time ago and still very happy with it. Even if it is more difficult to develop a poptop roof for this rig in comparion to the classics, I think more manufacturerswill follow and come up with pop top solutions for the IG.

What do you think?

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I saw that yesterday, nice! For yeeaarrss, I've wanted a poptop such as the Alucab for my 109 and not a Dormobile. Thinking of making my own. I actually think an Alucab could fit with some sort of spacer over the windscreen, $$$ gets in the way of trying it out.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Nice to see the aftermarket starting for the Grenadier. I expect it will take some time to get the ball rolling and a lot will depend on the sales numbers.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Update on US deliveries of the Grenadier. The dealer network has been announced and production for the US has started. I don't know about other dealerships but here is Chicago they have over 500 orders on the books (I don't know if they will all follow through) and mine is one of the 50 they have in production and assigned a VIN. Still don't know when it will be delivered but will be late 2023 or early 2024 I expect.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I absolutely love the design of the Grenadier, especially how it was designed from the ground up with rugged adventure in mind. I would dearly love to buy one, but with the price tag being over 100k in Canada, I highly doubt I'll ever be able to afford one lol.

Oh well, I can always enjoy the eye candy from others taking them out on adventures :)