Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

When looking at a tent and awning option, RTT was ruled out - roof space already taken - but also we like to explore on foot from a basecamp. Often this will involve setting up camp a drive away from where we want to explore for a few days. So a separate tent needed. Two in fact: one for living sleeping, one for privacy. Both can be stood up in and backed up to and pop up in a minute. The privacy tent can be taken on day adventures to seat two with a table out the weather.

20200327_183527.jpg

20200331_174049.jpg

The sides all roll up for mosquito mesh room, or zipped down. Also PU windows in the top quarter under a blind. A bigger brother to the gazelle.

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

The tent is floorless and so useful to set up as an awning room wherever preferred on any ground. This works well with campbeds. The dome support to roof and sides is excellent for shedding water and wind, and ability to increase awning shade. A floor of various types can be added at will. A great place to escape mosquitoes, wind and rain whilst cooking, eating and sleeping. Tarp grippers added to guy out the sides and door as an awning.

It has one side that unzips completely. By using stiff awning poles, a door frame can be created that significantly improves tent stability. I have tested it in 60mph gales with no issues. It all rolls up and straps to the side of the roofrack instead of an awning.

8ft x 8ft x 8ft between dome apexes.

20200811_100755.jpg

20200811_100805.jpg

IMG-20200509-WA0000.jpeg

Attachments

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

Finally got around to installing an odyssey pc1350 battery to deal with both crank loads from the winch and compressor and the accessory drain. Installed terminals with three posts and nylock nuts and smeared with electrical grease. Much easier to connect accessories and clamps for chargers and inverters.

Also had the road legal lightbar spliced in to the main beam which can be isolated to flick on and off with the main beam or not. If I dont need main beam, I don't need a lightbar.

Attachments

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

Swapped rear control arms, rear trackbar and swaybar links front and rear. Soft poly spherical bushes and heim joint combinations on all and all are adjustable. Also soft poly front lower control arm bushes including fully floating spherical bearing on front strut clevis'. Rear axle now centred, pinion angle zeroed and 4 wheel aligned.

The arms are shaped for max articulation around the fuel tank. So I measured and fitted axle limiter straps for peace of mind protection to rear shock extension.

Attachments

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

Thanks Zim. Folks dont really know what it is. Not their idea of an off-roader or overlander, but more than a soft roader. Most what I do is touring on highway, with rocky/rutted link up trails. The difference being quiet and comfortable at highway cruising. Fully loaded back down from a Scotland trip @ 70mph I was getting 500 miles to a tank. The benefit of diesel tuning, fuel detergent and taller gearing from 3.55 gears with 32" tyres.

A couple pics from the trip...

Attachments

Last edited:

PDB

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wales, UK
First Name
PD
Last Name
B
Member #

Replaced the front door speakers and the dash speakers to get the best out of the aftermarket Pioneer headset. It has made a huge difference in quality of the sound, digital sound being exceptional by using all of the functions on the headunit such as crossover feature and equaliser settings. Takes some time but worth it to dial in.

I chose Kicker CS series 3.5' dash 2 way coaxial speakers and Kicker CS series 6'x9" triaxial front door speakers. Straight swap no mods. Used the Meta adaptors for plug and play connection - Meta#72-7902 dash speakers and #72-6515 for the front door speakers.

I used dodo thermal pro sound and temp insulation on the lower door behind the speaker. To protect the speaker back from Window drips I bought silicone sheet from Amazon and just draped it over the speaker back and fixed in place by passing the top two speaker fixing screws through it and then clamping it down with speaker as the screws tightened.

Attachments