Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Just wanted to thank everyone for the spirited discussion. This is my last day of reliable internet for possibly a few days. Need to head out up the Hummingbird Highway tomorrow. So my family and I will essentially be out in the boonies of Belize.

For the record I'd share a campfire with everyone I've engaged with on this thread. Yes, even if we disagree. I think we all have a lot to learn from one another. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts that has taken the time to share. I'm never looking for an echo chamber, don't need an ego stroke, and I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself with this attempt at overlanding the world. We'll see how it goes right?

To those willing to consider my thoughts on overlanding, I'd like to drop some food for thought:

A lot of time people will say to me, "Man, Eric you are living the dream but..."

"I can't do that because of _______" Or "That's just not a possibility for me because of ________"

I think those "excuses" are honestly often just smoke and mirrors to hide the unspoken concerns or fears that an overland journey into a non-english speaking country may hold.

The "excuses" usually have to do with being able to take time off to make such a trip... or the finances for such a journey but then I'll often see these same people post on social media about their "overlanding" trip from Austin to Denver, Billings to Asheville, or San Diego to Key West. ANYWHERE across the USA, but never south of that border to a whole different cultural experience.

May I suggest that these brave souls take a shot at an adventure that involves more than trails, off road, and US State Borders. Take Xilitla for example. It is actually closer than you may think, and MUCH cheaper than a cross country USA road trip.

Xilitla Mexico is an AMAZING town in the middle of a tropical paradise with turquoise waters, waterfalls, and tons of wildlife and wild camping opportunities. A different language is spoken, a different culture is experienced, different currency is used, and it is a life changing experience!

It should be noted that the journey from Austin, Texas to Xilitla, Mexico is only 725 miles, about 100 miles less than it is to just cross the great State of Texas from East to West which comes in at about 830 miles.

We talk about inspiring others and inclusivity. I would love to encourage my fellow members of this forum to stretch out of their comfort zone and make their next planned extended trip more of a challenge than just another trail or route in a different state. I think that for those of you who have never undertaken such a journey, it will be a blessing and something you'll never forget.

Much respect to everyone here and if you have any interest in following our journey I invite you to get to know us. We're on all the socials as Hourless Life and we don't have it all figured out, but we're taking it one mile (or kilometer) at a time.

~ Eric

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

Be Safe and Have Fun. I don't think we Necessary had a disagreement - Just two ways of looking at the same thing. I do have thoughts of traveling in other Countries, I don't see that making me feel like an Overlander any more than I do, but Hey who Know's. Have to see how things go with Covid and etc. I was also Just told I can't have Vodka for Lunch - she just Left so see ya on the Vodka river

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
Just wanted to thank everyone for the spirited discussion. This is my last day of reliable internet for possibly a few days. Need to head out up the Hummingbird Highway tomorrow. So my family and I will essentially be out in the boonies of Belize.

For the record I'd share a campfire with everyone I've engaged with on this thread. Yes, even if we disagree. I think we all have a lot to learn from one another. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts that has taken the time to share. I'm never looking for an echo chamber, don't need an ego stroke, and I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone but myself with this attempt at overlanding the world. We'll see how it goes right?

To those willing to consider my thoughts on overlanding, I'd like to drop some food for thought:

A lot of time people will say to me, "Man, Eric you are living the dream but..."

"I can't do that because of _______" Or "That's just not a possibility for me because of ________"

I think those "excuses" are honestly often just smoke and mirrors to hide the unspoken concerns or fears that an overland journey into a non-english speaking country may hold.

The "excuses" usually have to do with being able to take time off to make such a trip... or the finances for such a journey but then I'll often see these same people post on social media about their "overlanding" trip from Austin to Denver, Billings to Asheville, or San Diego to Key West. ANYWHERE across the USA, but never south of that border to a whole different cultural experience.

May I suggest that these brave souls take a shot at an adventure that involves more than trails, off road, and US State Borders. Take Xilitla for example. It is actually closer than you may think, and MUCH cheaper than a cross country USA road trip.

Xilitla Mexico is an AMAZING town in the middle of a tropical paradise with turquoise waters, waterfalls, and tons of wildlife and wild camping opportunities. A different language is spoken, a different culture is experienced, different currency is used, and it is a life changing experience!

It should be noted that the journey from Austin, Texas to Xilitla, Mexico is only 725 miles, about 100 miles less than it is to just cross the great State of Texas from East to West which comes in at about 830 miles.

We talk about inspiring others and inclusivity. I would love to encourage my fellow members of this forum to stretch out of their comfort zone and make their next planned extended trip more of a challenge than just another trail or route in a different state. I think that for those of you who have never undertaken such a journey, it will be a blessing and something you'll never forget.

Much respect to everyone here and if you have any interest in following our journey I invite you to get to know us. We're on all the socials as Hourless Life and we don't have it all figured out, but we're taking it one mile (or kilometer) at a time.

~ Eric
Did some fly fishing for Sail Fish in Belize. Fell in love with the area and the people.
I'm jealous...lol!
Be save and enjoy...:grinning:

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
So I read that article and I think the authors problem is they likely live in a small relatively culturally similar area. I live in SW BC, without crossing any border I can meet with large groups of people from dissimilar cultures, primarily various 1st nations but others as well. If I choose to travel north or east out of the province I can do the same.

I believe the "eltist" comes as a result of people who live in in similar environments, no disrespect to those in the US or Western Europe, but a lot you you travel very short distances normally as your state or home country is small. For example from Vancouver on the coast to get to the Alberta border is 8 to 9 hours at 80 o 100 KPH or 50 to 60 MPH driving with very few breaks. North to the Yukon border is 32 hours non stop same speeds.
As a result l they think overlanding has cross borders to remote area's on bad gravels roads. That definition means the 3 week drive from to Vancouver to Tuk, and back could not be overlanding because it is largely paved roads and can be done in a car.

Me I don't care I have a gigantic province to play in (BC is 944,735 km 2 (364,764 sq mi) ) that is largely undeveloped, with lots of interesting folks to meet - it has always been about the journey not the gear or the where I end up.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
a lot of things are hard to define or explain, but sometimes the best explanation can be described by the benefits created by said thing....

so for me, "overlanding" means being able to eat my favorite crap food that the wife wont allow when at home.
i'm sure there has to be quite a few of you that get to eat those "forbidden" foods that the wife gives a pass on only because youre camping.

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

a lot of things are hard to define or explain, but sometimes the best explanation can be described by the benefits created by said thing....

so for me, "overlanding" means being able to eat my favorite crap food that the wife wont allow when at home.
i'm sure there has to be quite a few of you that get to eat those "forbidden" foods that the wife gives a pass on only because youre camping.
Occsionally we order a Pizza and Take it with us - Makes a great easy meal the first Night out

Reactions: Arailt and grubworm

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
This is a contentious issue for me. I drive a 38 year old Jeep Cherokee that the wife surprised me with on my birthday around 25 years ago. I keep it in tip top shape, even though I beat the crap out of it frequently. It was a royal POS when I got it and piece by piece I have rebuilt it, because I like to. It generates a lot of interest when I drive it, but I did it because I enjoy it and take it as a challenge to keep an older vehicle in better shape than a new one.

I see some of the same things here that I disliked in the rock crawling forums. There are a lot of want to be's. Nothing wrong with that, we all started off somewhere. The problem is that they think that spending a ton of money gives you status and makes you a hardcore rock crawler. They have no idea of what rock crawling entails and the skill required. They spend $80k on a vehicle and get mad when they can't get over the first obstacle without getting stuck or breaking something. They get pissed when somebody in a rusty 30 year old cherokee cleans the obstacles on nearly stock tires and they can't. In rock crawling we have a saying, chrome don't get you home.

Not knocking OB, but I cringe when I see a first timer thinking you can't get off the pavement without 37" tires. We did all the hardest trails in Colorado on 31's over the last 40 years, many were done in a 2wd Chevy full sized van. Skill is acquired through experience not through your credit card. I learned much of the skills, growing up on a farm in the mountains of Colorado.

The key is, to me overlanding is getting out and going and doing, even close to home. Take the time to enjoy and appreciate nature... not taking selfies of the latest purchase to post on the web.

Last edited:

shansonpac

Rank V

Traveler III

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Hanson
Member #

This is a contentious issue for me. I drive a 38 year old Jeep Cherokee that the wife surprised me with on my birthday around 25 years ago. I keep it in tip top shape, even though I beat the crap out of it frequently. It was a royal POS when I got it and piece by piece I have rebuilt it, because I like to. It generates a lot of interest when I drive it, but I did it because I enjoy it and take it as a challenge to keep an older vehicle in better shape than a new one.

I see some of the same things I disliked in the rock crawling forums. There are a lot of want to be's. Nothing wrong with that, we all started off somewhere. The problem is that they think that spending a ton of money gives you status and makes you a hardcore rock crawler. They have no idea of what rock crawling entails and the skill required. They spend $80k on a vehicle and get mad when they can't get over the first obstacle without getting stuck or breaking something. They get pissed when somebody in a rusty 30 year old cherokee cleans the obstacles on nearly stock tires and they can't. In rock crawling we have a saying, chrome don't get you home.

Not knocking OB, but I cringe when I see a first timer thinking you can't get off the pavement without 37" tires. We did all the hardest trails in Colorado on 31's over the last 40 years, many were done in a 2wd Chevy full sized van. Skill is acquired through experience not through your credit card. I learned much of the skills, growing up on a farm in the mountains.

The key is, to me overlanding is getting out and going and doing, even close to home. Take the time to enjoy and appreciate nature... not taking selfies of the latest purchase to post on the web.
Absolutely beautiful Cherokee. I have always loved this vehicle.

The skill needed to do what you do is way above my pay grade, and you won't find me trolling rock crawler forums. My focus is getting to places (and home again) that I love in the mountains and desert, with a little adventure thrown in.

The fun for me has always been the preparation as well as the journey, and meeting people who love what I love. OB has really opened my eyes to the diversity of the off road community.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Well....this was a fun read. I want to say thank you to @Hourless Life for this forum thread. You did a good job staying on topic and didn't stray when people disagreed. I don't see that often.

I'm not going to give any opinion at all. I will on the other hand jump into my old azzed cruiser and head back out to do some nice Overlanding/Car Camping/Adventuring/Exploring, AKA Offroading.

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
People ask me this question all the time. What is overlanding?

I've done my best to answer the question. I've even written my own article. I've taken the time to speak with many folks who have made their own incredible overland journeys to try and understand what it is that we do and how best to explain it to others.

This article, written by Expedition Overland (NOT BY ME) agrees with many of the points that I have made in the past on the topic.

I really believe that this article by XO nails it, and that it is well worth a read.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of this community after reading the article and to discuss it.

Article: What is overlanding?
I agree, very good article

Reactions: Hourless Life

Padams7

Rank V
Investor

Advocate II

First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I disagree - they state “ at X Overland we believe the international aspect of overland travel is needed to make the overlanding experience authentic.”

While there are great overlanding stories, Dan Grec comes to mind, there is also untapped wilderness here in the United States that many of us will never experience.

I don’t feel that I need to head to South America for a year, leaving my family to state I “overland” - I think that @Michael says it best when he explains it. Vehicle dependent travel, and it doesn’t matter what you drive.

Now would I love to your Austrailia for a year, yes, but that’s not in the cards for me, so I’ll do the Georgia Traverse for a week or two, then I’ll see some other great American landscape.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
OK I feel baited :grinning:

You guys know how I feel. The article is 180 degrees opposite my own personal ethos. The way I feel is in our founding principles. We created OLB because we saw a lot of the "you have to do this to be an 'overlander'", and just thought it was horseshit. That's OK - I'm friends with folks I disagree with and will say it to their face with a smile. We need more of that. I can shake hands, have a beer and agree to disagree.

I do agree aspiration to a positive end is important. As Corrie likes to say, we didn't name the community "Overland Nailed It", or "Overland Been There Done That". We are Overland Bound. It's an aspirational journey. Anyone can do it. It doesn't matter what you drive.

I've had this overland definition debate a lot. It always comes down to the person trying to define it, NOT about overlanding. It's personal. It's what it needs to mean to them. What it is to you is very personal, and that's why no one else can define it for you. It's presumptuous to do so. I watched a guy at Expo interviewing a family that lives in their car full time. They travel the world. It was SO apparent the interviewer NEEDED their life to be about the adventure, the risk, its not about the destination but the journey...insert rhetoric. The family was like, "Dude...we just live in our car and travel as little as possible because petrol is expensive". It was really about the interviewer not the family. The interviewer was blinded by their need and missed the awesomeness of the family.

If you need to define it - define it, but that's not what we will do here, for everyone, at a founding principle level. Like the interviewer, it would be short sighted. We think you need to meet people where they are, and inspire. For us, cultures and backgrounds and financial means are way too diverse to define for someone what the activity of overlanding is. We prefer that 95% of the people we inspire feel it's attainable because it's not about us. It's about them. Getting outside and touching grass makes better humans. Why would we limit that?

Today I got a message, not uncommon, from a member who said Overland Bound saved him from suicide. What if the standard we set in this community was unattainable to this person? What if they didn't feel welcome or didn't get involved with the community because they thought, "well that's not me."? This is the most serious matter for Corrie and I. It is why I will never back down from my convictions. Overlanding is vehicle dependent travel. Period. I've never seen anything good come from defining it beyond that. Overlanding is something different for everyone. It should be. Aspire to do great things and have a great adventure, but once you start to define it for others - that's about you, not overlanding.

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

OK I feel baited :grinning:

You guys know how I feel. The article is 180 degrees opposite my own personal ethos. The way I feel is in our founding principles. We created OLB because we saw a lot of the "you have to do this to be an 'overlander'", and just thought it was horseshit. That's OK - I'm friends with folks I disagree with and will say it to their face with a smile. We need more of that. I can shake hands, have a beer and agree to disagree.

I do agree aspiration to a positive end is important. As Corrie likes to say, we didn't name the community "Overland Nailed It", or "Overland Been There Done That". We are Overland Bound. It's an aspirational journey. Anyone can do it. It doesn't matter what you drive.

I've had this overland definition debate a lot. It always comes down to the person trying to define it, NOT about overlanding. It's personal. It's what it needs to mean to them. What it is to you is very personal, and that's why no one else can define it for you. It's presumptuous to do so. I watched a guy at Expo interviewing a family that lives in their car full time. They travel the world. It was SO apparent the interviewer NEEDED their life to be about the adventure, the risk, its not about the destination but the journey...insert rhetoric. The family was like, "Dude...we just live in our car and travel as little as possible because petrol is expensive". It was really about the interviewer not the family. The interviewer was blinded by their need and missed the awesomeness of the family.

If you need to define it - define it, but that's not what we will do here, for everyone, at a founding principle level. Like the interviewer, it would be short sighted. We think you need to meet people where they are, and inspire. For us, cultures and backgrounds and financial means are way too diverse to define for someone what the activity of overlanding is. We prefer that 95% of the people we inspire feel it's attainable because it's not about us. It's about them. Getting outside and touching grass makes better humans. Why would we limit that?

Today I got a message, not uncommon, from a member who said Overland Bound saved him from suicide. What if the standard we set in this community was unattainable to this person? What if they didn't feel welcome or didn't get involved with the community because they said, "well that's not me."? This is the most serious matter for Corrie and I. It is why I will never back down from my convictions. Overlanding is vehicle dependent travel. Period. I've never seen anything good come from defining it beyond that. Overlanding is something different for everyone. It should be. Aspire to do great things and have a great adventure, but once you start to define it for others - that's about you, not overlanding.
1649940312730.jpeg

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
very cool!
yeah, the dace would dock next to us sometimes at groton subase. they decommissioned in 1988 and i was on the uss shark and decommissioned it in 1989.
being on subs is why it is easy for me to go on long trips with crap food, no shower and a lumpy mattress :grinning:
I did a upkeep on the Shark in LaMadd. If you were onboard, we probably bumped into each other in the geedunk line. LMAO
Zim

Reactions: grubworm