Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
Here is a video I actually made today, testing energy used for reheating 1 meal 1 person, induction cooking. Just to help with some Watt-hrs baseline usage. I actually have a series Im editing, with electric kettle, and small microwave. All based on truck camping using powerstation or battery, and a dc fridge, for energy use calculations.

A lot of folks are using electics for their camp cooking, packing away their propane and Coleman fuel. The question is always, How Much Electricity?? What does a meal prep use, and will you have enough in your powerstation or battery?
Here I show you what you should expect for reheating one meal for one person, in a common electric camping scenario: fridge to safely cooked and hot.

For comparison, in 2024 a car-battery sized Lithium LiFePO4 or LFP, will be 12.8V, 100Amp Hrs, so 1280 Watt-hrs. Watt-hrs are the best unit to use when describing lithium battery energy use, as it is independent of battery voltage and holds true whether you are using a 12, 24, or 48V setup.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
your vid link doesnt work
can you redo the link or post your findings? i like your posts and i know you have some great info in this one that id be interested in seeing...

Dave in AZ

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arizona, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Mac
your vid link doesnt work
can you redo the link or post your findings? i like your posts and i know you have some great info in this one that id be interested in seeing...
It has a smaller link on the video that says "watch on youtube", click on that. I'm not letting my videos play embedded anymore, because then people cant/don't read allllllll the info given in the video description, and end up asking or commenting on stuff I already typed right on the "additional text" part of the video. Also gives you the chance to...maybe, hopefully... subscribe and like ;)
When I paste the link in, this forum mods it to that display. If you don't see the link "watch on youtube", then just go to youtube.com, my channel is Dave in AZ, its the most recent video there.
Thx!