• HTML tutorial

Kasper_f76168

Rank 0

Contributor II

First Name
Kasper
Last Name
Brummer
Need some opinions on which vehicle I should build out for Overlanding between these two. Looking at which would give me the most capability and ease of repair/ aftermarket support. Thanks in advanced.

Specs

2013 Tahoe Z71 with about 115,000 miles, 5.3 V8 Tow Package, 6L80 transmission, LSD 3.42 in the rear, 4x4 with full-time, 4-hi and 4 lo. Ready to go.

1997 Ram 2500 Ext Cab Long Bed with about 248,000 miles, tow package, camper package, NP241, 4.10 gearing, Dana 60 front, Dana 70 with LSD rear 8.0L V10 with 47RE Auto. Needs a little work/ TLC.

Side note, if the 8.0L ever dies replacing with a 5.9 12v Cummins and plan on getting rid of the AFM on the 5.3.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
There are those that will disagree with me, however, it is always a good conversation. Chevrolets have independant front suspension. The Dodge has a solid front axle. The solid front axle is easier to maintain, it is more dependable, and it is much better off of paved roads. The only downside to a SFA is that the ride is a bit more harsh than an IFS. I run with a guy that has an IFS Chevy with 90,000 miles and it has not yet made it through an annual inspection 3 years in a row, without having to replace bushings and getting realigned. I’m soon recieving my first brand new pick up truck in 37 years with a solid front axle. There is that, and as you mentioned, you could easily swap in a mechanical Cummins when the time comes and the NP241 is nearly indestructable .

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
ex-wife had a z71 ta-hoe (emphasis on the "hoe" :grinning:) nice to travel in and was fairly smooth and all, but i dont think it can compete with a ram. i had a 1999 ram 2500 with the 5.9 cummins that was a company truck in my construction company and it was a BEAST. ordered it with factory lockers and it was nearly impossible to stick and i used it many times pulling heavy equipment out of the muddy swamps down here. extremely reliable and just very well built. i later traded it in on a 2008 f350 with the new 6.4 powerstroke and quickly regretted that. i dont know much about the v10, but i can sure vouch for the cummins if you ever go that route
and yes, i REALLY liked having the sfa. back when i was in the navy, i had an '85 sr5 pickup...the last year toyota offered the sfa and that was an amazing pickup as well.

Last edited: