Investor

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Theodore
Last Name
Sato
Member #

While 2 miles out from White Mountain Peak trailhead (first time driving off-road at 11,000') my stock 2021 Tacoma Pro with 30K miles got a right front completely deflated tire. I was not aired down. Discovered I did not have the wheel lock key and hitched a ride back to Big Pine. Returned with Perez Towing $$$ with a flat bed to recover truck. Perez removed wheel lock the next day and put on spare. I replaced the tires with Falken Wildpeak AT3/W same size as the stock tires. When they installed the new tires they checked the flat tire and did not find anything wrong with the tire. How can the tire go flat? Is it a high altitude issue? The trail was rocky but I did not hit anything big. Anything that I should be checking/watching for?flat.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Desert Runner

Hemobreak

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Theodore
Last Name
Sato
Member #

Popping the bead seems like the only possible reason. I read that I should be careful if I air down, but didn't think it was possible with fully inflated tires. Especially since the road was just a rocky gravel fire road. Hopefully the new tires will flex less and not have this issue. Thx...

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It's odd you rolled the bead off. When I inspect tires that went flat, I look inside. If you see powdered rubber, driving on the flat tore up the inside of the tire. You can't always see it from the outside. This is the main reason im against any "permanent" tire repair done from the outside. "If" they inspected it off the rim and "if" they knew what to look for, your most likely ok.

As for your wheel locks, If you saw just how fast I can get them off without the key, you wouldn't have them. Main reason being what happened to you. Too many times I've seen customer wheel lock keys on guys tool boxes. One tech I worked with was proud of his collection of keys. My comment to him was "how is someone going to change a flat if you have his key". The response was "that's what AAA is for".

• Sad

Hemobreak

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Theodore
Last Name
Sato
Member #

I asked America's Tire to check the flat and see what failed. They told me they aired it up and checked for leaks and found none. I replaced the wheel locks with regular lugs. So the next flat I will look more carefully at the tire for damage. Perez Tire told me that they use a socket and impact wrench to remove the lock. Nothing better than a real life experience. Thx...

Reactions: smritte

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
If the old tire was in decent shape perhaps the valve stem was leaking? If you were running street pressure at the time I'd be surprised if the bead was leaking, I've only had that happen at low pressures.

Hemobreak

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Theodore
Last Name
Sato
Member #

When they replaced the tire the flat was checked, so I assume the valve stem was ok. The new tire is using the same valve stem. The flat was not a slow leak. The TPMS went off at the same time as I felt the tire go flat. I was traveling at ~15MPH. The TPMS showed 32PSI on the 3 good tires. Thx....

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I have had street tires roll off of a bead while off road and fully aired up before, and that was on a 2600lbs Isuzu P/U so I bet your Tacoma could do it too. It is rare, but not unheard of. The fact that you had a steer tire roll off makes this more likely. A more rigid sidewall with a reinforced bead like what most off road tires have will stay seated MUCH better.

Hemobreak

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Theodore
Last Name
Sato
Member #

I have had street tires roll off of a bead while off road and fully aired up before, and that was on a 2600lbs Isuzu P/U so I bet your Tacoma could do it too. It is rare, but not unheard of. The fact that you had a steer tire roll off makes this more likely. A more rigid sidewall with a reinforced bead like what most off road tires have will stay seated MUCH better.
Thx. It's good to know that it has happened before.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I guy I know had something similar happening on a regular passenger car, multiple times until he bought a set of new rims for the summer tires.

Long story short, another tire shop eventually found the problem, there was a dent on the inner hump of the rim and whenever a few things came together the tire popped of on this section...

Reactions: Dilldog

Hemobreak

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast I

Torrance, CA, USA
First Name
Theodore
Last Name
Sato
Member #

I guy I know had something similar happening on a regular passenger car, multiple times until he bought a set of new rims for the summer tires.

Long story short, another tire shop eventually found the problem, there was a dent on the inner hump of the rim and whenever a few things came together the tire popped of on this section...
Thx. Next flat I will be taking a lot more time to personally check the tire and rim to determine cause.

Reactions: MazeVX and Dilldog