Swing Out Tire Carrier vs. Roof Basket Tire Carrier

• HTML tutorial

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

so I’ve been going back and forth on this, and I’d love to get peoples opinions, especially if you’ve actually had to get spares out of both locations!

Trying to decide on rear bumpers, and I’m wondering if I should mount the spare on the rear bumper or put it in a basket up top. Either way, I plan to have a ladder in the rear to help access the basket.

What are the pros and cons to both systems? Is the spare still accessible? Significantly easier with the rear swing away?

Also, the rig I just bought has a full size spare that doesn’t match the other tires. How important is having the same tread pattern on all 5 tires and am I safe to purchase another of the same tire and throw it into the rotation?

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

so I’ve been going back and forth on this, and I’d love to get peoples opinions, especially if you’ve actually had to get spares out of both locations!

Trying to decide on rear bumpers, and I’m wondering if I should mount the spare on the rear bumper or put it in a basket up top. Either way, I plan to have a ladder in the rear to help access the basket.

What are the pros and cons to both systems? Is the spare still accessible? Significantly easier with the rear swing away?

Also, the rig I just bought has a full size spare that doesn’t match the other tires. How important is having the same tread pattern on all 5 tires and am I safe to purchase another of the same tire and throw it into the rotation?

I can't answer for the roof versus rear rack with first hand knowledge, but me personally I'd rather use the rear swing out arm. The reason is purely about practicality of accessing the tire if it were needed. The spare tire can be heavy and awkward moving around, not to mention putting the flat one back after the change. To me, it seems like it would be easier to put it on a rear rack (and take it down) than getting tires down from and put back up on a roof rack or basket.

As for the other, for short term driving I don't think tread pattern makes a big difference unless you're in a place with specific tire needs and your spare tire isn't the same. For example, if the spare tire is a highway tire and you're in mud or rocks then it might not be suitable.

The big thing is making sure you have the same tire size. Especially on 4wds. Otherwise you end up with potential for tire rotation to be at different rates. If you have to put the tire that's a slightly different size on, I've been told it's best to put it on the front (assuming you have an open diff on front, and a limited slip or locker on the back). If you have a locked diff and put different size tires on, I believe it can cause binding/put pressure on the diff and would not be a good thing. I don't have first hand experience of the problems this can cause, this is repeating what I've been told and what I've always followed.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

In our travels we have to change out a tire more frequently then we like. I can't imagine having to take a (heavy) good tire down and a flat tire up onto the roof, ladder or not.
If the new spare is the same size as the others, just a different tread, that's no big deal if you're close to a repair shop or home. Gregory above has a good bit of advice about different size tires on the rear

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I put my spare on my roof of my Samurai until J had to get it down. Then I never kept it there again, because accessing it sucked. Plus, it will make your vehicle sway a lot more and increase the potential for a rollover.

That said, is underneath the vehicle not an option?

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

I put my spare on my roof of my Samurai until J had to get it down. Then I never kept it there again, because accessing it sucked. Plus, it will make your vehicle sway a lot more and increase the potential for a rollover.

That said, is underneath the vehicle not an option?
My thought with under the vehicle is that it would affect my clearance and departure angles. Is that not the case?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

My thought with under the vehicle is that it would affect my clearance and departure angles. Is that not the case?
It certainly does affect departure angles! But, I do think both the effects and consequences are overestimated. Yes, if you are genuinely grinding up and over large rocks, you shouldnt have it under the vehicle. But, not only does it actually take a not-insignificant obstacle to really risk high-centering on the soare, but I honestly think there is minimal hazard from occasionally scuffing the spare in the dirt.

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
As others have said, roof mounting can be a hassle. More from getting it up there than taking it down. You can always flip it off the roof to get it down. The other thing about roof mounting is securing the tire to the basket. Any movement at all in the holddown system of either the tire or the basket will introduce a point of future failure.

Have had an underbody mount for several years with no problems traveling moderate trails and occasional rocks. If’ you are planning on oversized tires make sure that it will fit in the stock tire space under the body. I upgrade tire size and am just now moving the tire and putting on a tire carrier. Will use the underbody space for something else.

OBiE0311

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Thanks for all the input guys!

I think my VERY immediate plan will be to put the spare back under the rear.

I plan to make a platform setup for storage in the back after I remove the third row seats. The lower part will be a couple of drawers, one of which will (hopefully) hold the spare and some recovery gear. The upper part will have tie downs for gear boxes/ stowage.

Once that’s done and I’ve saved up enough money, I’ll upgrade the stock suspension to an OME 1.5” lift and buy the Slee rear bumper with the spare tire carrier and the rotopax storage. Then I’ll have more storage freed up in the drawers.

That’s the plan, anyway....

Reactions: Lindenwood

Foch

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Montana
I have had it on the roof a couple of years and had two flats. First issue, 30" tire on a steel wheel is heavy, cumbersome and just plain awkward to get down. No snow, rain or other issues. Just hard to get down.

Second flat, after not learning my lesson the first time, was a little irritated about something I can't remember, I flip it off the roof into the dirt. Guess what? They bounce and mine bounced into the side of my bed. I was able to pop the dent out but the paint cracked. I guess I'm a little thick in the head, after second flat I built a rear carrier using an axle shaft and wheel bearings...way better

I wish I would have learned after first flat, but I learned.

Influencer II

Little bit of a dumb question....

But.. Are there any alternatives to a roof basket or a swing out tire carrier?

I'm not fond of either because the hit to MPG and the cost/additional weight for a DD will be terrible respectively...

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

The only other common options are to leave it under the vehicle, if that was the factory setup, or to put it inside the rear storage area. Of course, you'll occasionally see them strapped to the hood or on the front bumper or something as well.

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

To help you decide on roof or rear tire carrier, open the back of your vehicle and put your spare on it and then set it on the ground 5 times, then go from the ground to the roof rack 5 times and you will have your answer the same way I answered the same question for myself. If you drop the tire as your putting it back on top, be sure your wifes 7 series BMW is not nearby. Big dent from a 35" tire.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I’d like to mention the benefit of a rear bumper spare carrier is the chance to attach maxtrax, or trasharoo, and combine a rear bumper with a hi-lift or jerry can holder. This year I changed to a hard shell RTT and am missing the space for a hi-lift and maxtrax. Because I have a under the body spare, I’m in the market for a rear bumper now.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

amateurhour

Rank III

Advocate II

I'm in the same boat here. I can't decide whether to put a swing out tire carrier on my xterra or just mount the tire on the aftermarket roof rack, which would be much cheaper. I don't plan to put a RTT on the Xterra since I'm going to do a trailer build.

Reactions: PintSize

PintSize

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Corpus Christi, Texas
Member #

I'm in the same boat here. I can't decide whether to put a swing out tire carrier on my xterra or just mount the tire on the aftermarket roof rack, which would be much cheaper. I don't plan to put a RTT on the Xterra since I'm going to do a trailer build.
I'd love to get a bumper mount and not sure if I want to get a whole new bumper with a carrier built in. I have a friend that has one of these Wilco's on the same truck and it operates nicely and gives good function to his camper shell / tailgate.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate-solo/