Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

I have a 2019 Jeep compass trailhawk that I am planning on doing a little bit of work to so it can be used better for camping with the family. I love seeing other small vehicles and it gives me ideas for my own.
Those little trailhawks are very cool. I’ll bet that will be a perfect vehicle for you and a small family, especially with some planning, and can probably take you a lot of places most cars this size won’t. At the snail’s pace Subaru is working on PHEV stuff I’ll bet some form of Jeep 4xe hybrid will end up being my next rig.

My sister in law has a Cherokee Trailhawk and I’m jealous of the sweet hood stripe and all the little convenience features it has like the outlets and gear-securing bars in the trunk, not so much the MPG and the transmission that just grenaded but that’s another story.

Reactions: Red_Leaf_Overland

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Those little trailhawks are very cool. I’ll bet that will be a perfect vehicle for you and a small family, especially with some planning, and can probably take you a lot of places most cars this size won’t. At the snail’s pace Subaru is working on PHEV stuff I’ll bet some form of Jeep 4xe hybrid will end up being my next rig.

My sister in law has a Cherokee Trailhawk and I’m jealous of the sweet hood stripe and all the little convenience features it has like the outlets and gear-securing bars in the trunk, not so much the MPG and the transmission that just grenaded but that’s another story.
I do like the car. It's comfortable and drives well, gets decent gas milage and I do like the look with the 2 tone paint. The electrical in it is tricky when camping and I had gotten used to just plugging my phone into the dash with either a cigarette lighter plug charger or direct usb, but the way they have it set up in these is it will only charge for about 30 seconds if the vehicle isn't running to protect the battery. I am going to have to figure out a way to get around that at some point. Other than that I wish it had a bit more ground clearance but it has worked fine so far. There is a trail I have in mind that I want to see how far it can make it into because there are some really great camp spots on it and I think my wife would like them.

Reactions: Sierrahotel83

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Decided to build a gas can (or water can) carrier onto my swing-out bike rack! I am always surprised on road trips how quickly the last quarter tank goes. A few times I've definitely thought I had an extra hour or more left (based on the displayed DTE), and then suddenly 30 or 40 minutes later I'm scrambling to find a gas station. I probably won't take a gas can on every trip, but on the more remote runs around NM it might be nice to have. Plus, my camp stove runs on gasoline.

The rack is rated for 110lb worth of bikes hanging from the top, so this ~40lb of fuel sitting low shouldn't add any significant strain as long as I limit myself to 2 bikes instead of the total 3 (which is fine because I only ever carry 1 now...).

I mounted it low like that so I could still fit two bikes, and so it wouldn't completely block the backup camera. Still, the bottom of the shelf is 19" off the ground, so I am not too worried about banging it on anything .

I just need to figure out some sort of retention system and I'll be ready! Next up will probably be a couple of snowboard mounts above where the fuel can sits!

Polish_20210211_173200908.jpg

Last edited:

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I have a 2019 Jeep compass trailhawk that I am planning on doing a little bit of work to so it can be used better for camping with the family. I love seeing other small vehicles and it gives me ideas for my own. One thing I will likely build for it is a full roof platform style rack that I can throw a couple of hard cases or a soft carrier on and still have some extra room to attach an awning or put my traction boards up there.
I wish it had a bit more ground clearance and a larger tire but it was bought as something to use for long commutes and to be fuel efficient, which I no longer have the long commute to deal with. I am excited to start cracking into this thing as I can't seem to leave anything stock. I have another lifted vehicle that I use for more aggressive trails but I would still like to get this one out into the woods a little further.
Picture is the compass fully loaded last summer for a long weekend camping trip with my wife and my ( at that time) about 3-4 month old son. View attachment 186682
Front runner should have a low profile flat rack. They make one for our patriot so I'm sure they have something for your compass.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
View attachment 186674
Out beebopping!

Also, going for round... Four? of my rear lift. This time universal 16x5 coils of 250lb/in rate (up from ~210), with custom spring seats. It doesn't take much weight to get the rear sagging these days (I think my factory coils have settled a lot), and I wanted a bit more rear ground clearance and stability.

View attachment 186063

*edit*

Oh! Forgot about White Sands!!

View attachment 186064
People use Moog for a mild lift on older model patriots, now you got my wheels going about adding an inch of lift to ours plus give a smoother ride using custom springs and bilstien struts.

HopefullyI can figure out some eibach springs for it.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

Decided to build a gas can (or water can) carrier onto my swing-out bike rack! I am always surprised on road trips how quickly the last quarter tank goes. A few times I've definitely thought I had an extra hour or more left (based on the displayed DTE), and then suddenly 30 or 40 minutes later I'm scrambling to find a gas station. I probably won't take a gas can on every trip, but on the more remote runs around NM it might be nice to have. Plus, my camp stove runs on gasoline.

The rack is rated for 110lb worth of bikes hanging from the top, so this ~40lb of fuel sitting low shouldn't add any significant strain as long as I limit myself to 2 bikes instead of the total 3 (which is fine because I only ever carry 1 now...).

I mounted it low like that so I could still fit two bikes, and so it wouldn't completely block the backup camera. Still, the bottom of the shelf is 19" off the ground, so I am not too worried about banging it on anything .

I just need to figure out some sort of retention system and I'll be ready! Next up will probably be a couple of snowboard mounts above where the fuel can sits!

View attachment 187271
Aren't you worried if some idiot hits you in the back you might go boom ? For a spare wheel, that place would be fine, but for a gas can....

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Front runner should have a low profile flat rack. They make one for our patriot so I'm sure they have something for your compass.
The Patriot had a much smaller roof rail. I am likely just going to weld something up for the compass that Hass everything I want in it. That way it's built for what I want And need.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
The Patriot had a much smaller roof rail. I am likely just going to weld something up for the compass that Hass everything I want in it. That way it's built for what I want And need.
Yes, the pat has a smaller roof line. I was just stating they make one for the pat, I am sure they make one similar for the new compass too. I was searching high and low for a low profile roof storage option and it's only this past year or so that Front Runner made the kit for our rig. Make a post on your building of the rack. I wanna see that setup for sure! The new compass is a great vehicle. I am hoping they make it in 4xe for our market.

Advocate I

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Yes, the pat has a smaller roof line. I was just stating they make one for the pat, I am sure they make one similar for the new compass too. I was searching high and low for a low profile roof storage option and it's only this past year or so that Front Runner made the kit for our rig. Make a post on your building of the rack. I wanna see that setup for sure! The new compass is a great vehicle. I am hoping they make it in 4xe for our market.
I'll have to have a look. It's been a few years since I have really had a good look at the market. I was. Convinced after owning the Patriot for a few years I was just going to have to build everything myself lol.
As soon. As I get a plan worked up on the roof rack I'll make sure I take some pictures and make a post, but at the moment I am trying to figure out what wall thickness of material to use to have it be strong but not rediculously heavy lol.

eroyar23

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Royar
Member #

Got a 2019 vw tiguan up about 3" with lift and tires. 245/65/17 bfg's all terrains. front runner slim line rack and rtt going on soon. had it off road in mud and some rocks nothing to crazy but does a great job.TIGUAN.jpg

Attachments

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Well we are now exclusively back in the SVO world. We sold our JKU again, and the pat will be our overlanding rig now. I am going to be getting at er soon. Can't wait to FINALLY get it built like I have the vision in my head. Wheels tires and stance are complete. Well, need new tires again this year. Falken wildpeak AT3W going on this time.

IceBear505

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Albuquerque, New Mexico 87110, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Nesbit
Member #

I know this was setup to discuss the unique challenges of smaller rigs with traditionally limited capability like low ground clearance, approach angles, GVWR, etc. But it seems more capable rigs have entered the discussion that seem more capable and maybe more like full-size rigs? Not sure a Taco or a Gladiator have the same issues and limitations as a rig like a CRV or Forrester... maybe I misunderstood the point of this subgroup... I agree, "it doesn't matter what you drive" but it seems like lately the thread is expanding a bit beyond the intent?

Sierrahotel83

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Lexington, Kentucky
First Name
Pete
Last Name
Shrock
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4HVZ
This thread is gonna be great and also make me want to spend way to much money, I have been interested in Overlanding for years, but had a car that was straight up a no go for anything but dry dirt roads on occasion(there is a story there), but with having to replace it and getting a 2011 Jeep Compass, I think I will be finding some fun stuff I can do(I know not as much as some vehicles, but better than a Civic) now to actually start trying to actually have some overlanding fun, and find good accessories to make trips more enjoyable

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Update on my SV overlander, for any who may not have seen it yet:
Ganbaru.jpg
And, where I took it yesterday to work in my bush office with a view. Sometimes I really love living in the information age:
IMG_20210610_132609037_HDR.jpg
This was tea time. No, the cans by the fire are not mine, and yes I took them out of the bush anyway, along with the rest of a bag of garbage, mostly rusty burnt up spray cans. Some people don't seem to understand that metal doesn't burn.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I know this was setup to discuss the unique challenges of smaller rigs with traditionally limited capability like low ground clearance, approach angles, GVWR, etc. But it seems more capable rigs have entered the discussion that seem more capable and maybe more like full-size rigs? Not sure a Taco or a Gladiator have the same issues and limitations as a rig like a CRV or Forrester... maybe I misunderstood the point of this subgroup... I agree, "it doesn't matter what you drive" but it seems like lately the thread is expanding a bit beyond the intent?
Agreed, Taco, gladiator, wrangler, FS bronco are not SVO rated. Ha ha. Not even the 2 door models. This thread is for the misfits!