Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

First Name
Scott
Last Name
Bobrik
Member #

People travelling in the small rigs, I HIGHLY recommend a Sylvansport Go. We LOVE ours. It gives you great tent space, plus lots of room to lug your gear with you. Worth every dollar we paid for it!
[/QUO
People travelling in the small rigs, I HIGHLY recommend a Sylvansport Go. We LOVE ours. It gives you great tent space, plus lots of room to lug your gear with you. Worth every dollar we paid for it!
I would love to see pictures of your setup.

bawesomfels

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Phoenix, AZ
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Ockenfels
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I absolutely LOVE that generation of Tracker. I almost bought one when I was first looking for a 4x4. It was between that and my CR-V. The Tracker had an oil leak and some rust, unfortunately, so I went with the V. It's all about space efficiency when it comes to these little rigs. Carefully consider what gear you take and don't take anything that doesn't actually add value.
Those CR-Vs always catch my eye, they're super neat when built out a little bit (don't tell my friends I said that) . As far as space, I've been spoiled for so long using a pickup that determining what's essential and what isn't is going to be fun. The current plan is taking out the back seat adding a roof rack, but still won't be as convenient as having a bed. Oh well, I'm excited to see what I can do.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Those CR-Vs always catch my eye, they're super neat when built out a little bit (don't tell my friends I said that) . As far as space, I've been spoiled for so long using a pickup that determining what's essential and what isn't is going to be fun. The current plan is taking out the back seat adding a roof rack, but still won't be as convenient as having a bed. Oh well, I'm excited to see what I can do.
For their size they really have quite an impressive cargo area. The area behind the rear seats is quite square and deep, at least the older ones. I understand the newer models have more of a slope to the rear window cutting down on cargo space.

Reactions: bawesomfels

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

For their size they really have quite an impressive cargo area. The area behind the rear seats is quite square and deep, at least the older ones. I understand the newer models have more of a slope to the rear window cutting down on cargo space.
I have a first generation one, and definitely it has a decent cargo area even with the rear seats up, but you can fold the rear seats almost flat and have a huge cargo area. Also, on some of the first generation, you can fold the seats into a flat, albeit slightly slanted bed. All you have to do is park on a slight uphill and voila, flat, level bed.

Reactions: Downs

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I love mine. I think it looks like a baby 80 series land cruiser :D

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I have a first generation one, and definitely it has a decent cargo area even with the rear seats up, but you can fold the rear seats almost flat and have a huge cargo area. Also, on some of the first generation, you can fold the seats into a flat, albeit slightly slanted bed. All you have to do is park on a slight uphill and voila, flat, level bed.
My wife had a first gen and when she traded it in she was all set on another till she really looked close and saw they had changed it to be more shaped like a bar of soap, you know for aerodynamics. Totally ruined the cargo area for her. She trains dogs and HAS to have a mostly square cargo area for crates and whatnot. She wound up with a 2012 Honda Pilot instead after the CRV and when we traded in the Pilot we wound up with a Kia Sedona minivan.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

My wife had a first gen and when she traded it in she was all set on another till she really looked close and saw they had changed it to be more shaped like a bar of soap, you know for aerodynamics. Totally ruined the cargo area for her. She trains dogs and HAS to have a mostly square cargo area for crates and whatnot. She wound up with a 2012 Honda Pilot instead after the CRV and when we traded in the Pilot we wound up with a Kia Sedona minivan.
1st gen is best gen :D One of my fav vehicles I've ever owned, possibly number 1, with my 06 Dodge Charger vying for that spot. If Honda engineered a vehicle as awesome as the RD1 when they weren't even trying to make a "true off roader", I'm sad they didn't actually set out to make the ultimate compact 4x4, because they probably could have created a true legend.

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
So I upgraded from a samurai tin top to a 2000 wrangler tj, and the tj seems like a palace inside to put all my gear.
I went from a Tin Top to a XJ Cherokee. I kept the Tin Top though. It's still one of my favorites and it gets used locally fairly often.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

What are those cases on your roof rack? Are they rifle cases..if so, what brand? I like the profile of your rack - every case I look at is too tall for my tastes (and gas mileage...)

They are quite solid (~3/16" walls), weatherproof, and gave the dimensions I wanted. They are on sale regularly; I bought two for $100 on Black Friday, and the third for $115 around the New Year.

Reactions: Oakster

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

1612610605713.jpg
Out beebopping!

Also, going for round... Four? of my rear lift. This time universal 16x5 coils of 250lb/in rate (up from ~210), with custom spring seats. It doesn't take much weight to get the rear sagging these days (I think my factory coils have settled a lot), and I wanted a bit more rear ground clearance and stability.

IMG_20210128_191128.jpg

*edit*

Oh! Forgot about White Sands!!

Polish_20210201_035322492.jpg

Last edited:

Naidu

Rank 0

Traveler I

New Jersey, USA
First Name
N
Last Name
G
Yeah I was thinking of getting a marine optima (the blue top). Im honestly not sold on the solar idea, its not very effective from a cost benefit stand point in my opinion. Also for most of my trips I may not even need to charge my second battery. All that my life right now really allows for me is single night trips, and all that I would be running is a small speaker for music, lights, and a fan to keep the air inside of the Escape circulating. I would just pull the battery and hook it up to charger when I get back home.
Would a Jackery or Bluetti (they're available from many brands) Lithium battery-based power station fit your needs? Not the cheapest option, but might be the most flexible, and especially well suited for your 1 or 2 day requirement.

Reactions: Dilldog

Oakster

Rank 0

Contributor I

Oakland, CA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
DiGiorgio
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6BJD
What are those cases on your roof rack? Are they rifle cases..if so, what brand? I like the profile of your rack - every case I look at is too tall for my tastes (and gas mileage...)

They are quite solid (~3/16" walls), weatherproof, and gave the dimensions I wanted. They are on sale regularly; I bought two for $100 on Black Friday, and the third for $115 around the New Year.
Thanks. I never would have though of Harbor Freight for rifle case, though I haven’t been inside one for 5 years or so. Great tip.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I installed the lift! It was way too tall and way to stiff because I didn't realize how much the stock coils had sagged--the two coils pictured are technically supposed to be the same length! Did some quick math, though, and going down to 225lb-in should give me the balance I was seeking and not sit quite so high in the rear. Those coils came in yesterday and will go in over the next couple of days.

1612610721972.jpg

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Great discussions, way to keep it on topic guys! Moved thread to your own forum under Rigs.

Of note I run a Jeep Liberty which is small in size, I love that I can go places that wider rigs can not....

Jim

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I have a 2019 Jeep compass trailhawk that I am planning on doing a little bit of work to so it can be used better for camping with the family. I love seeing other small vehicles and it gives me ideas for my own. One thing I will likely build for it is a full roof platform style rack that I can throw a couple of hard cases or a soft carrier on and still have some extra room to attach an awning or put my traction boards up there.
I wish it had a bit more ground clearance and a larger tire but it was bought as something to use for long commutes and to be fuel efficient, which I no longer have the long commute to deal with. I am excited to start cracking into this thing as I can't seem to leave anything stock. I have another lifted vehicle that I use for more aggressive trails but I would still like to get this one out into the woods a little further.
Picture is the compass fully loaded last summer for a long weekend camping trip with my wife and my ( at that time) about 3-4 month old son. 20200704_074034.jpg