mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
I highly recommend the Falken Wildpeak Trails. I have had mine over a year and NO COMPLAINTS! Barely more weight than stock... Quite frankly, surprised SOA doesn't just make them standard for models in US... Especially the trail focused models (Crosstrek, Forrester, and Outback, esp X models)
Thanks just to find the right size.

m.jw.brown

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Redondo Beach, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brown
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
Wow, so it sure has been a while. Got busy with other things. So here is an update:

I have finally completed the Sleeper platform build (mark 1):
1.) I have plans to upgrade the supports for the head piece, and possibly sepparate the two sides (passanger/driver) so you could theoretically keep the passenger side down all the time on a solo trip.
2.) It is module making it easy-ish to take out (only like 5 min) and I Built this set up to work with the seats in or out.
a.) The "Butt" piece can stay in the trunk as long as needed and looks somewhat like a normal car interior.
b.) The "Thorax" piece spans from the "Butt" to the "Shoulder" so no weight is on the rear folded seats. The "Thorax" bolts to the butt viea the folded shear tabs.
c.) The "Shoulder piece is a trimmed piece of plywood that hugs the front edge of the rear seats and nests directly into the "Thorax" piece.
d.) The head piece allowes for reagular driving positions during "driving mode" and will unfold for "sleeping mode" if tboth seats are scooted forward to their limits.
3.) Made from 5 sheets of 4'x4' x 23/32" plywood (that was all that was available). Anbd there is still pleanty of left over for future modifications. (Probably 6-12 sq ft.)
4.) I am 6'-3"and 240 lbs so it is a tight fit, and my Fiance is 5'-10" around 180 lbs, so we have to get cozy, but the 23/32 plywood supports us no problem.

Getting back into the subaru build up/out even more. We are planning our honemoon trip all over the rockies and the west coast. Hoping to have a good amount of the upgrades done before then.

As a side note, still have not upgraded my tires, but since I have the 2017 Forester (SJ) I will probably do the first tires upgrade and keep stock wheels. I know this will sacrifice weight to start, but it looks like the tires are only 6-7lbs more (per tire) tor the Toyo AT3 or the Falken Wild Peaks

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Pretty nice work! Oh to have a 6-foor contour gauge! But you did nicely.

I went the easier route with my truck and just made it fit between the wheel wells. Then again with so much more roo. I just stuffed gear into the 4 cubbys at the corners. Your space is at a premium and looks like you made the most of it.

The Forester has been the Subaru I like most, 3ven though I never owned one. It is included in my perfect dream garage-full, as almost the only "car." The rest are trucks, Jeeps and SUV's.

dennisblass

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Trussville, AL, USA
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
Blass
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4GHR
I'm old and fat. Old means I have to go to the bathroom a couple of times a night. Fat means I have a hard time moving around tight spaces. Question? How hard is it for you to get in and out during the night. How do you do it? Thanks.

m.jw.brown

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Redondo Beach, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brown
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
I'm old and fat. Old means I have to go to the bathroom a couple of times a night. Fat means I have a hard time moving around tight spaces. Question? How hard is it for you to get in and out during the night. How do you do it? Thanks.
I enter through tailgate, but that is if there are two of us. If it’s just myself I can enter through either side door and coo a roll in situation.

m.jw.brown

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Redondo Beach, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Brown
Ham/GMRS Callsign
N/A
DharmaBum any news on the rig?

My girl and I are finally taking our (early stages) rig on a test run for winter camping up to Mammoth on a quickie ski trip.

I'm excited for a little free camping and hitting the slopes early.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

People change their rims for cosmetic reasons and a larger section of tires. yes the rims are 18". I only have 24K on the stock tires so new tires a little way off .
This may have already been said -i haven't read the entire thread. But as an aside you also might change rims for the ability to wear a tire that has a larger side profile so you are not running LoPros, so you have some sidewall to air down. And for weight reduction. Some of the "Boxer" wheels are rather lightweight but strong, so if you run a heavier tire, some or all of the extra weight of the tires is mitigated by the lighter rim and you don't lose as much usable power

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Will it surprise you if I told you I just sold the sequoia
It SHOULD surprise me, but given the fact I was surprised you sold the GMC...

So here I am about to do the same. 100 miles a day taking its toll on my wallet, I'm scouting around for Subaru Foresters. And I get mission creep real bad. Stated off looking at 2012/13's then moved up and up. Probably be a current gen Sport by the time i finally squeeze the trigger. May not save much interms of payment ts, but the fuel cost will go way down.

I read that there was a delay in production and the 2023's only recently started rolling off the line. By October they may be giving better deals on older ones to get them off the lot and make room.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

It SHOULD surprise me, but given the fact I was surprised you sold the GMC...

So here I am about to do the same. 100 miles a day taking its toll on my wallet, I'm scouting around for Subaru Foresters. And I get mission creep real bad. Stated off looking at 2012/13's then moved up and up. Probably be a current gen Sport by the time i finally squeeze the trigger. May not save much interms of payment ts, but the fuel cost will go way down.

I read that there was a delay in production and the 2023's only recently started rolling off the line. By October they may be giving better deals on older ones to get them off the lot and make room.
Ya I kinda went a completely different direction this time 16B9500B-FD08-49B9-B7D6-FC94C1E26536.jpeg

Reactions: ThundahBeagle