Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Found the right set up for the scangauge II. Went with the Wits End bracket and RAM mount size B ball with 1/4” thread, 3”tough track, the smallest clamp bar they offer. It’s definitely a pricy setup, but after looking at alternatives and running through the process of making my own, I decided I don’t have the means to build it, nor would it be what I truly wanted. (I don’t have the means to cut and fabricated the thickness of steel, aluminum, or plastic that would be necessary for this.) I mounted it to the driver side defogger vent right at the bottom plastic lip . I figured it would be cheaper to replace that then an entire dash if necessary. I thought about mounting this to the pillar but it felt a bit bulky and in the way when I mocked it up. Depending on the vehicle type, shape of the pillar, and size of windshield that would probably be an ideal location.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: ThundahBeagle

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Got my new cooler. Had a RTIC 20 hard cooler (sold it to buy this one) and currently own their soft cooler. I’ve been impressed with the quality and how well these products have kept ice on my trips. They are substantially cheaper than YETI and yet a mirror image (as RTIC’s motto exclaims). This is the new 52Q light-weight hard cooler. It has a freezable divider and storage basket—something my previous did not. I have not weighed it, but the RTIC website has it listed at 20lbs (13gal). To offer perspective 20 hard cooler(5.5gal) weighed in at 17.5lbs. I’ll be building a pulley tray with the left over wood from the RIDGID tray in the coming days I hope.

Attachments

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Starting my lighting system, finally. Purchased Diode Dynamics' 30" Amber Combo light bar to install behind the front grille. I've been wanting to do this mod for a long while and I am super stoked on the finished product. I went with Diode Dynamics because I believe in there quality (8yr warranty), their prices are reasonable, they offered an all Amber combo (spot & driving) in the 30" length, and I like their customer service. They have a heavy presence on Subaruforester.com and offer deals to its members--bonus. Their Heavy Duty Single output wiring harness is quality. It is made with a DT plug (I've heard these are the best solution for accessory lighting) with a high gauge vinyl shrink wrap over the entire wiring. I appreciate the switch that comes with the harness, it is stealthy and has a simple red dot illumination which compliments the switch lighting in Subarus. I ended up shaving off portions of the grill to clear up where the light shines through. The stock bumper had a sequence of vertical bars through that area and I used a hacksaw blade and my Dremel to cut them away. I think this subtle mod makes the bar more prominent and yet still stealthy, additionally it doesn't allow any disruption to the light beam.

Since I had the grille off and the battery all loosened up, I to ok the opportunity to change the spark plugs. Not a very fun experience but educating nevertheless. The boxer engine makes for interesting plug placements, and the forester's engine sits lower than other model Subarus so they are super tight. She runs smooth now though, and I saved great deal of money in the process.

Next week I should be installing the next portion of the lighting system, a 32" light bar to my Thule Canyon XT basket.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
WOW, best darn subi I have seen, never know how well they could be built, impressed!

Jim

Reactions: DharmaBum

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

@Smileyshaun I take it you sprung for the brake conversion. 16” and below BR rims are an astonishing 16lbs and I wish I could go that route. At 17” they jump to 21lbs and I could feel it immediately once they were installed, haha. 235/65 is my next size once my current tires need changing. Awesome Foz you got there!

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

@Smileyshaun I take it you sprung for the brake conversion. 16” and below BR rims are an astonishing 16lbs and I wish I could go that route. At 17” they jump to 21lbs and I could feel it immediately once they were installed, haha. 235/65 is my next size once my current tires need changing. Awesome Foz you got there!
no brake change , black rhino makes the wheel to fit over the brakes . It was a nice foz but ended up being a lemon I no longer have it .

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

no brake change , black rhino makes the wheel to fit over the brakes . It was a nice foz but ended up being a lemon I no longer have it .
Wow really?! Do you remember the offset? I was under the impression that 16 & 15s couldn’t fit over the larger brakes on the SJ foresters. Otherwise I would have bought 16” rims to save the weight!

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

@Smileyshaun update: after spinning on your wheel size I reviewed the picture of your Forester. Looks like it was a 2.5, which does not share the same size front brakes as the XT model (bigger brakes in the XT). I was so confused. Nevertheless, sorry your Forester was a lemon. I’m please with the vehicle this far. It suites my [soft]road/daily driver needs. With that said, if/when I find myself trying to go deeper into the backcountry, I’ll need to move up to a true 4WD capable vehicle and be ready to take the mpg hit (you pay to play).

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

@Smileyshaun update: after spinning on your wheel size I reviewed the picture of your Forester. Looks like it was a 2.5, which does not share the same size front brakes as the XT model (bigger brakes in the XT). I was so confused. Nevertheless, sorry your Forester was a lemon. I’m please with the vehicle this far. It suites my [soft]road/daily driver needs. With that said, if/when I find myself trying to go deeper into the backcountry, I’ll need to move up to a true 4WD capable vehicle and be ready to take the mpg hit (you pay to play).
Yeah it wasn’t a turbo model I guess I should’ve picked up on that too. Yeah it was kind of sad because I really really enjoyed the car and probably took it places I shouldn’t of and it was the first brand new vehicle I’ve ever bought but you know life goes on

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I will say that the 15 offset was just about perfect for keeping it nearly in the wheel well
And the coopers were absolutely fantastic worked amazing in the snow and at least to my ear we’re actually quieter than the Geo Lander’s that came on itC3504461-75F4-47EB-B6A0-F0936CEBFE0B.jpeg

Reactions: ThundahBeagle

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

Maybe not the intended application, but function over form when you don’t have a rear carrier (yet). Gearing up for a 9-10 day excursion from Texas to California: Big Bend NP, Lincoln NF, White Sands NM, El Camino del Diablo, and Anza-Borrego SP. Pack in, pack out; leave no trace; leave it better than you found it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gone_xtrkn

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston, TX, USA
First Name
Brendon
Last Name
P
Member #

I’m inclined to agree with everyone re: keeping stock wheels and upgrading tires.

I swapped from 17” to 16” wheels and so far the only real benefit other than looks has been the weight reduction. Adding A/T tires with the aftermarket wheels kept the weight on each corner identical to stock but the extra 12% or whatever of sidewall has yet to really come in handy.

I’ve realized I’d have been much happier getting the same tires in factory size and saving the money for other things. Also, with aftermarket wheels comes wheel locks to deter theft, those funky new lug nuts, etc., and pretty soon you find yourself carrying around a whole pouch of different wheel keys that makes things extremely complicated.

I got suckered into the new wheels by Instagram and Expedition Portal and, while I certainly like them, I’ll probably sell them and go back to the stock ones once these tires wear out.

Will take this opportunity to plug the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail.They come in many sizes that work well with Subies and mine have been great in sand, mud, dirt, gravel, and we’ll see about snow tomorrow. They’re no noisier than stock road tires and I really never noticed a drop in MPG which is important to me because my Crosstrek by necessity sees more miles driving me to work than it does traveling.

wvuoutback

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

West Virginia
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Long
Member #

Found the right set up for the scangauge II. Went with the Wits End bracket and RAM mount size B ball with 1/4” thread, 3”tough track, the smallest clamp bar they offer. It’s definitely a pricy setup, but after looking at alternatives and running through the process of making my own, I decided i don’t have the means nor would be what I wanted. (I don’t have the means to cut and fabricated the thickness of steel, aluminum, or plastic that would be necessary for this.) I mounted it to the driver side defogger vent right at the bottom plastic lip . I figured it would be cheaper to replace that then an entire dash if necessary. I thought about mounting this to the pillar but it felt a bit bulky and in the way when I mocked it up. Depending on the vehicle type, shape of the pillar, and size of windshield that would probably be an ideal location.
I'm really digging this set up. I have never felt the need for a scangauge until I got my 2010 Outback that didn't have an engine temperature gauge in the dash.

Reactions: DharmaBum

mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Maybe not the intended application, but function over form when you don’t have a rear carrier (yet). Gearing up for a 9-10 day excursion from Texas to California: Big Bend NP, Lincoln NF, White Sands NM, El Camino del Diablo, and Anza-Borrego SP. Pack in, pack out; leave no trace; leave it better than you found it.
Have a good trip.

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

@mep1811 oh wow! Hope you're having fun and staying safe out there. My sister lives in Pearland, TX where the surrounding 2.5m people are without electricity. It's madness! So many choices out there for tires. I have the Wildpeak A/T Trails but I have nothing to base them on so I don't really know if they are the best. I am thinking of getting Wildpeak AT3Ws next. I'd be interested to know what you are looking at and why.